Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like everyone got the update now, because I just did too, and I'm always last. A 2.5-week wait is much, much better than 9+ weeks, but it's still way too long. Within 2-3 days would be ideal.
I disagree. If everyone gets an update over 2-3 days and there is an unexpected problem with it in certain configurations, service would be overwhelmed. Better to take their time so they can fix issues on only hundreds of cars at at time or even a few thousand rather than 30,000. What is your hurry? By the way I don't have mine yet either, but I'm still enjoying the car as much as ever.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still waiting. It's punishment for staying on 5.6 until late march. Now I'm stuck on 5.8.10 :/
No, I'm still on 5.8.10 too and I accepted every update as it was sent. But I wouldn't characterize it as being stuck.

Yes sorta, but when trying to parallel park on a hill it turns into a real pain, and when only trying to move a few inches....

Also, not sure if you are kidding, but just to nip the idea that we "gained miles back" with 5.9. My data shown over in the decreasing range thread shows that the change in displayed mileage from 5.8 -> 5.9 is just an illusion.

Mine does this too. I think we are missing something in its hill assist methods. Very slight hill=nothing. Slight to moderate hill = pressing the brake further and holding for a second causes it to use hill assist (while light pressure gets no hill assist. Moderate to steep hill gets assist with any pressure.

the tip for outsider and others is that if you want to keep treating it like a manual, instead of he breaks, you just have to find the right amount of accelerator. If you don't hit the brakes, then the hill assist doesn't come on for any hill.

- - - Updated - - -

It's because you have an A pack... See, good things happen due to the A pack occasionally... You gained back more of the apparently lost miles!:tongue:

Peter

Last edited:
I just got another 5.9 update ( I was already on 5.9 ) today. I did a full range charge this morning and the regen was limited much after the regen limiting lines were gone.

that pisses me off. show me the lines if things aren't fully up to power.

Yes, my heat was off.

I just got another 5.9 update ( I was already on 5.9 ) today. I did a full range charge this morning and the regen was limited much after the regen limiting lines were gone.

that pisses me off. show me the lines if things aren't fully up to power.

Yes, my heat was off.

This has been present since the first software versions. It isn't anything new with 5.9.

This has been present since the first software versions. It isn't anything new with 5.9.

Yes, I have found that the regen limit, yellow dashed lines are pretty accurate for low temperature limits, but very optimistic for high state of charge limits. For high state of charge situations, I have seen the true limit typically at half of the displayed limit and regularly get some limiting after the limit line disappears. This has happened since I got the car 1.5 years ago; who knows how many versions ago...

One interesting thing w/ 5.9: I'm noticing the car is now locking the charge port cover when I close it, like it used to, pre-5.8. In the 5.8 era, each morning I'd pull out the UMC cable and close the charge port cover to no locking sound. Only when I got in the car and turned the car on a minute or two later, would the magnetic lock loudly snap indicating the charge port was locked.

Glad to see they moved that line of code back to where it was supposed to be :)

One interesting thing w/ 5.9: I'm noticing the car is now locking the charge port cover when I close it, like it used to, pre-5.8. In the 5.8 era, each morning I'd pull out the UMC cable and close the charge port cover to no locking sound. Only when I got in the car and turned the car on a minute or two later, would the magnetic lock loudly snap indicating the charge port was locked.

Glad to see they moved that line of code back to where it was supposed to be :)
I'm still on 5.8.8 and the magnetic lock snap has always happened for me. I'm not using the UMC/HPWC, I use the J1772 adapter on a Sun Country EVSE.

Just a point of interest. I was given a P85+ loaner with ~5000 miles while my car was in for service. On SW v. 5.9 the 90% SOC rated range was 241 miles. When I got my car back (28,500 miles) with 5.9 the 90% SOC rated range was 233 (was 221 miles on 5.8). Looks like I've lost around 8 miles (maybe 10 on a full charge?) over the last 16 months.

Last edited:
Just a point of interest. I was given a P85+ loaner with ~5000 miles while my car was in for service. On SW v. 5.9 the 90% SOC rated range was 241 miles. When I got my car back (28,500 miles) with 5.9 the 90% SOC rated range was 233. Looks like I've lost around 8 miles (maybe 10 on a full charge?) over the last 16 months.

I'm at 12,000 miles and my 90% charge went from 222 up to 229 after receiving 5.9 this week.

I disagree. If everyone gets an update over 2-3 days and there is an unexpected problem with it in certain configurations, service would be overwhelmed. Better to take their time so they can fix issues on only hundreds of cars at at time or even a few thousand rather than 30,000. What is your hurry? By the way I don't have mine yet either, but I'm still enjoying the car as much as ever.

If no unexpected catastrophic problems exist, a 2-3 day roll-out is already pretty slow. And a "roll-back to last stable version" feature would also provide some insurance. I just don't want to go back to the 9+ week wait that I was so used to.

For reference, hill assist works the same way in the Prius: it only activates with a hard press, figuring that the pressure indicates the slope. It beeps and flashes the traction control indicator to tell you it's on.

This has not been my experience. It appears to me to be completely grade dependent. I have tried pressing hard and light on a steep hill and both resulted in setting the hill hold. I have also tried both on a slight grade and no hill hold.

My history did not get wiped going from 5.8 to 5.9 or from .88 to .94 that just happened. Just adding another data point.

I suspect the installation of 5.9 is designed to clear charger history (it cleared mine) and that may have resulted in your charging rates being blown away. Even the subsequent 5.9 update may have done it again .88 -> .94, although I'm unsure. I'll have to look when I get home.

Three times now, I have tapped "DON'T ASK ME AGAIN" and . . . you got it . . . it keeps asking me.

Progress, 5.9-style.

000uathome.jpg

My max charge rate on my 40 has gone down again. With the 5.9.88 version max charged dropped from 72 to 68%. I updated to 5.9.94 yesterday after a full charge and noticed when I clicked the battery icon my current charge was beyond the max slider. I charged again today and can't get to the same point.

As a matter of reference on 5.9.88 at full charge I was showing 137 Rated miles. After the update to 5.9.94 I was showing 140 Rated miles. Today when I fully charged I'm showing 138 Rated miles and my charge slider is not beyond the max.

It appears the rated range calculation is showing me more rated miles for a lower actual charge in this new version.