Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a new issue with the latest 5.9 firmware. I have my car set to do a scheduled charge at 2am in my garage. If I get out of the car, close the door, go grab the charging cable, open the charge port door and then plug in the cable, the car will start to draw wall power for about 30 seconds and then stop. On the dash it says "2am scheduled charge". This didn't happen prior to 5.9. Anyone else notice this new anomaly?

Yes I have noticed this. This is a good thing as now the charge ring going green signals that the charging is good to go later on. I also noticed that if you have scheduled charging set and you get in the car, the heating/cooling starts to draw power from the wall even though charging has not started. This is behaviour others have probably seen but first I have experienced.

The 'assist' let's go as soon as you put pressure on the accelerator. Not sure I see the issue at all.

Some of us, me included, like to maneuver the car just by letting it roll back while still in Drive. In those events I don't want it to roll back, I have a spare foot that works amazingly well with the left pedal. Tricky to do with a manual transmission (3 pedals), but a non-issue with an automatic.

Further, I find it to be hit and miss anyway. My car still rolls back on modest inclines, but will hold on steeper hills. Here's a thought: why not just have the brakes hold hill or no hill? As you say, it releases when you press the go pedal anyway.

All we really need to fix this is a switch just like there is for Creep.

All we really need to fix this is a switch just like there is for Creep.

I would agree that is a good solution if the following three factors are kept in mind:

1) There is enough demand, say more than 5%?
2) Tesla doesn't fall into the trap of offering a toggle switch for everything the car does, thus cluttering up the settings.
3) Adding the option doesn't cause future complications when trying to create firmware upgrades.

I doubt 3 is an issue, however I am not one of their programmers.

I would agree that is a good solution if the following three factors are kept in mind:

1) There is enough demand, say more than 5%?
2) Tesla doesn't fall into the trap of offering a toggle switch for everything the car does, thus cluttering up the settings.
3) Adding the option doesn't cause future complications when trying to create firmware upgrades.

I doubt 3 is an issue, however I am not one of their programmers.

Theoretically, adding another on/off switch doubles number of test cases. Practically, many of those would be untested due to highly improbable impact. But fact remains that every option extends software testing effort, which is already complex, and subject of entire threads on this forum. I vaguely remember much consternation about the time it took to re-introduce lowering... Not saying hill assist should not be selectable, just appreciating the price of making everything selectable.

Here's a thought: why not just have the brakes hold hill or no hill? As you say, it releases when you press the go pedal anyway. All we really need to fix this is a switch just like there is for Creep.
I also had this thought, but realized I want Hill-Hold disabled in Drive facing downhill or in Reverse facing uphill, so a hill-sensor is needed. I can't argue that a switch would hurt, except contribute to clutter.

Hill assist is something that should work uniformly across all Model S vehicles. You can switch cars and not know that it has the feature disabled, or you could forget yourself and end up rolling into the car behind you. Predictability is a good thing here, and probably why Tesla did not make this a user selectable option. It's one of those transparent things that is just supposed to work.

I wrongly assumed that when I have the car in Drive, and am on an incline (say a highway offramp), it should not roll back at all. Otherwise, it is like it slips into Neutral until the go pedal is pressed. That might be old thinking after driving ICE automatic transmissions for so long.

I've only been on software 5.9, and find that the car is unpredictable on a slope..sometimes rolling back, sometimes not.
As far as it being fine since you can use your left foot on the brake, I've had warning messages come up saying "both pedals pressed" if I don't release the brake before pressing on the go pedal. Guess it will take a bit of getting use to.

Hill assist is something that should work uniformly across all Model S vehicles. You can switch cars and not know that it has the feature disabled, or you could forget yourself and end up rolling into the car behind you. Predictability is a good thing here, and probably why Tesla did not make this a user selectable option. It's one of those transparent things that is just supposed to work.

Sorry, that makes no sense. If that were the rationale then creep on/off, regular / light regen and the different steering settings would not be available, either.

I am loving the low suspension setting for cornering. Feels like a new car going through a hard corner at 35mph on low. I don't take too many sharp turns at highway speed so I never had a chance to fully appreciate the low setting. Makes sense that if a low center of gravity is good, then a lower center of gravity is better (for handling of course, not looking to start a debate on battery safety).