Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a short while there was a Tweet from Elon that mentioned v6.1, so I agree that it sounds like perhaps some of the features that were in 6.0 originally may have been pushed to the next update -
I'm not surprised. I doubt they can push this off much longer without it turning from a "hehe, Tesla's delivery dates are overly optimistic" joke into more serious criticism. Delivering SOMETHING, whether it's what they promised or not, will help alleviate that. 6 months late on a promise is pretty substantial. I bet they'll be more tight-lipped about updates in the future because of all of this.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd prefer smaller, more frequent updates anyway.

I'm not surprised. I doubt they can push this off much longer without it turning from a "hehe, Tesla's delivery dates are overly optimistic" joke into more serious criticism. Delivering SOMETHING, whether it's what they promised or not, will help alleviate that. 6 months late on a promise is pretty substantial. I bet they'll be more tight-lipped about updates in the future because of all of this.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd prefer smaller, more frequent updates anyway.

Yes, I think Elon needs to learn to not raise expectations. Keeping expectations low, and then releasing stuff with a bang brings all praises. Raising expectations too high almost invariably results in disappointment at release.

Elon knows to keep secrets, but at the same time, is too excited to give no hints, and often gets carried away when interacting.

Yes, I think Elon needs to learn to not raise expectations. Keeping expectations low, and then releasing stuff with a bang brings all praises. Raising expectations too high almost invariably results in disappointment at release.

Elon knows to keep secrets, but at the same time, is too excited to give no hints, and often gets carried away when interacting.
I like him the way he is. I'd rather have an enthusiastic visionary optimist running the company than a pessimistic, lawyer controlled corporate zombie. There's this convention in business and politics of never speaking from the heart for fear of being wrong, late, or criticized. Counter productive. We all know how to discount Elon-speak.

IMO, it was not a controlled leak. But, if it was, based on the response it has received indicating many people wanted more things and TM tries to accomodate everyone, then we will not see 6.0 till 2015.

That was not the sense that I got. People were just surprised to see so few features in 6.0 given that they've had over 8 months to work on it. I would rather see smaller, incremental updates rather than big software releases once a year.

Ah, and now I see that gizmotoy echoed my sentiment just a few posts up thread. :wink:

IMO, it was not a controlled leak. But, if it was, based on the response it has received indicating many people wanted more things and TM tries to accomodate everyone, then we will not see 6.0 till 2015.

So, back to my original opinion. 6.0 release in within 4 weeks with the same/similar features leaked and then more features in 7.0.

Yay, let the 7.0 speculations begin...

I have no actual knowledge about their schedule. I'm not in the beta program, even though I've been begging them forever... But it would be very strange if that had been am intentional leak. It looked much more like an excited tester who just couldn't contain the excitement anymore.

So adding fuel to the 6.0 fire, Elon said today during the Japan Q&A that they would be having an event, probably next week, that would discuss the forward updates coming. I don't know if he will just be talking about 6.0 or it it is more than that... But hopefully we will have something great to talk about next week :D

As I've said elsewhere: just because Elon says he's going to talk about something doesn't mean it's going to happen right away.....

Yes, I know :( You don't have to be a kill joy about it today... let me dream that for once they will do an announcement for something *on-time*... I did put the "probably" in my comment, which is the word he used, and that is why I followed it up with a "hopefully" at the end, because I know all too well that it doesn't happen very often that something gets done faster than "Elon Time"(tm)

So, back to my original opinion. 6.0 release in within 4 weeks with the same/similar features leaked and then more features in 7.0.

I don't know if this is pertinent to this conversation or not, but I will post this: I received an email from "Maddy" at the Bellevue/Seattle (WA) service center in reference to a minor issue I had with cell phone connection to my Tesla. She said the engineers are rolling out v6.0 right now. (She said that should help my issue). So.....looking to see it soon. Hoping that this is good information from a source that knows something firm. Anyway, just thought I would pass that on.

I don't know if this is pertinent to this conversation or not, but I will post this: I received an email from "Maddy" at the Bellevue/Seattle (WA) service center in reference to a minor issue I had with cell phone connection to my Tesla. She said the engineers are rolling out v6.0 right now. (She said that should help my issue). So.....looking to see it soon. Hoping that this is good information from a source that knows something firm. Anyway, just thought I would pass that on.

You may wish to peruse the rest of the forum. ;)

See the sticky here: Firmware 6.0