Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that if they had added enhancements to media player (vs. just fix bugs) it would be on release notes. I'm just hoping, hoping, hoping that they fixed the song/album/artist bug that ignores any track with punctuation or special characters in the title. About 1/4 of my music is only visible in folder mode!

You can edit the titles to remove the punctuation before transferring to your USB, so all songs are visible.

Called the service center, apparently it is still due to be released early September.

So it'd be good to confirm whether this is beta or rolling out OTA.

My car usually sits in a garage without connectivity, so if it is available ota I'll keep it outside lol

COULD be shocking... waiting to see how it is implemented. If it requires a pin or something, it might be reasonably secure. If it does not, then it relies on your phone's locking...

I'm sure it's PIN or password protected. It would be foolish for it to not be protected in some way, and Tesla are no fools. Presumably it's an emergency option, and would be very handy in the event of a lost key or dead battery. I was hoping for more Waze functionality (essentially Waze rendered for the center screen), and the name thing seems lame. It if was going to be used as a key word to starting listening for an instruction (i.e. Jeeves, play me the best of One Direction (obviously, in this particular scenario a long silence would ensue) then it would make some sense.

I really hope this was just a beta screen grab and NOT the final v6 package. I'm not impressed with the new features. Elon touted v6 as 'the biggest update yet' with all sorts of cool stuff and various Tesla folks have really hyped up v6. Given the feature list on the screen grabs above, this falls way short of being impressive.

- intelligent navigation / commute advice
this is the only decent feature in this release list and it's probably some sort of integration with google waze. if implemented correctly and it's reliable, it could be a very useful feature.

- calender
this is lame and I'll never use it.

- new power management options
the only reason this was added was to address complaints from customers that it takes too long to connect to their car now. by enabling the faster connection, the 'vampire drain' will return. i will keep this option off because I don't think it takes very long to connect and my vampire drain used to be 3 miles per hour (30 miles lost every 10 hours). no way I'm going to voluntarily return to that.

- custom car name
this is the lamest feature yet. i wonder who thunk this one up at Tesla. it's so lame, it sounds like it came from senior management and noone questioned it because I can't imagine any decent hands on software engineer's actually suggesting this one.

EDIT: SECURITY LIABILITY

I just saw how the release notes said you will be able to start the car without the key fob using the mobile app. Given that the mobile app itself is very insecure as is their current authentication methods (discussed very much in depth in other threads), basically this opens up the car to be VERY EASILY STOLEN. Once an attacker has you username and password which again is very easy to compromise, (even a simple spam phishing email could dup anyone into logging into tesla online (a fake dup site) which would compromise your credentials), then they can use the app to #1) locate your car using the GPS feature, #2 unlock the car via the unlock feature, and now #3 start your car and drive off. previously the only thing you would really have to worry about it someone finding and unlockign and stealing anything you have inside, but now Tesla has given the ability for someone to just drive off with your car. ***IMO THIS IS A BIG NO-NO*** and I think this is a very very bad feature. Unfortunately, there is NO WAY for you to even stop this. Even if you refuse to update your phone software, an attacker would just download the Tesla app and have the latest software and be able to start your car. I **REALLY** hope this forced feature includes a password protected option (kinda like the VALET mode if that ever comes to light) to disable the remote starting of the car from an app. I do not want anyone stealing my car. I wonder how many of you use the same login/password for TMC and your Tesla account. then, if someone were to compromise this site itself, it would give them thousands of login/pass crediatials and they can brute force try each one and have a list of all the successful ones and then they can start going around stealing all the cars. You start to get my point here? This feature is a big no-no and one that opens it up to the cars being VERY EASILY located, unlocked, and stolen. BAD TESLA, BAD.

Last edited:
- calender
this is lame and I'll never use it.

If the release notes are to be trusted, then it sounds like one would have to have the Tesla app running on one's phone to even connect with one's calendar. That right there sounds kludgy. If you have to physically reach for the phone, fire up the T app *in car* (which I never do) just to get the Calendar app in the car to work, why not just look at your Calendar in your phone?

Sure, there's the potential convenience of instantly navigating to any address mentioned on any upcoming appointment in your calendar, an admittedly interesting feature, but not worth all the trouble, imho.

Your friend violated an NDA by allowing those screenshots... but now that the cat is out of the bag, here's what caught my eye:

"ability to start the car (in case you forgot your key fob)" <---- does this mean that a paired iPhone can start the car and we could just leave the keyfob at home??

Also hoping for a reskin-- when I test drove a couple weeks ago I thought the UI looked a little bit like OS X, with the 3d-style icons and reflective surface. I kinda want the Tesla UI to have the more clean, flat look of Yosemite and iOS7. :smile:

Friend. I guess it still is in beta. My buddy told me that people always want to see release notes, so I took pictures and uploaded them. Is that a no-no?

Considering how little we see of beta info, my guess is your friend broke their NDA by showing you. Now that you have spread it around, they likely will loose their beta status. Quite possibly everyone on the island if they can't figure out who it was.

Don't worry, there are lots of people eager to take their places:tongue:

The ability to turn off mobile access (or turn it on) needs to be password protected.. That's the real issue

+1. The new functionality via the API provides further evidence that this needs to be the case.

Someone at TMC Connect mentioned I would be underwhelmed when I saw 6.0 - unfortunately they were 100% correct

Sorry bonnie, but I gotta agree as well. There are some good features, but I'm not sure how much I'll be using the calendar one or the traffic info for commuters. What about the much hyped trip planner that was used by the cross country Tesla team? Even Elon mentioned that one several times and made it sound like it would be coming in 6.0. This seems more like an incremental update rather than an overhaul, which everyone (including Tesla) made it out to be.

Friend. I guess it still is in beta. My buddy told me that people always want to see release notes, so I took pictures and uploaded them. Is that a no-no?

It's not a no-no for you, but it might be for your friend, who is subject to an NDA. Then again, there's some wiggle room. It's not reasonable to tell somebody with beta software not to carry passengers who might see some features.