Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was your post meant to be an example of this? :)

LOL.. I was thinking the same when posting it... although this time it was for TMC rather than Tesla.

Seriously, the site is a fan site. As you yourself demonstrated, when you like something but have a criticism, you usually soften it a bit.

You are right, this is mostly the case. But those rare criticizing posts that go without the two lines of fan certification are almost always almost unanimously attacked/ridiculed. Reading those threads bothers me, and makes me feel may be sometimes there is another reason for the above. :(

And since we have all gotten used to so many from the media taking our posts and using them in articles, we like to make our intent clear.

I thought of the very same thing. This is a big reason why we have developed this attitude. I myself have experienced this a couple of times when I meet someone say anything negative about the car, I get a little too aggressive giving counter arguments. I suppose this will change with time.

Last edited:
Yep... open to viruses and spyware and... :)

If you were implicating one platform over the other as being "less susceptible to malware" consider that jailbreaking (the only way to actually get to do what you want with your apple device) is you actually using a flaw in the code of the device and exploiting it for your own purposes... basically using malicious code to your advantage... which is really just like any other malware out there (someone finding a flaw and creating malicious code to exploit it for their purposes).

So I am confused as to which you would be implicating as "worse" since they both have very well known flaws that are constantly having to be fixed. Both are constantly hit with malicious code... and you are always having to patch your devices, practice safe and secure usage habits, etc. Please don't assume that because the platform is closed source vs open source or whatever that it is more or less susceptible to malicious code.

Because I would direct you to SE Linux which if set up correctly is an iron fortress that cannot be penetrated (course you will have a hard time using the device... but that isn't the point...) And guess what? SE Linux is totally open source.

I would suggest Linux in general as being the most secure. Because everyone can freely see the code it is much easier to identify where potential flaws in it is, and it gets reported and fixed rather quickly.

I just hope that the iOS and android development for Tesla is happening in tandem.

Can't disagree with this, but Tesla may allocate resources depending on the smartphone market share among their installed base. They certainly have the ability to monitor what proportion of apps on iOS and Android are actually linked to cars and thus derive platform market share. Has anyone seen any firm numbers on the breakdown by platform among all owners?

Can't disagree with this, but Tesla may allocate resources depending on the smartphone market share among their installed base. They certainly have the ability to monitor what proportion of apps on iOS and Android are actually linked to cars and thus derive platform market share. Has anyone seen any firm numbers on the breakdown by platform among all owners?

Not that I am aware of, the most I have seen is a download comparison relative to peers... which is just a download ranking (more downloaded than X app and less downloaded than Y app)... So it is difficult to see how many are out there. Plus, even if you could base it on download numbers or install numbers, how many would be downloaded/installed by non-owners? how many would be duplicates either because of owning multiple devices or having replaced devices in the past? It is a tough number to pull.

Oh, I wish the phone discussion would move to off-topic. We have already debated and agreed on which smartphone is best. No need to rehash it here. :D

I'm not debating which phone is best. I'm commenting that I want both to happen at the same time and so far I only see reference to the iOS version of the app with regard to this release of the mobile app. Anyone heard that the work will happen with Android as well?

- - - Updated - - -

A good point. I hope it is evenly split so they would be encouraged to update both in parallel. :)

That's my point in suggesting that the relevant metric is how many unique app installs are linked to actual vehicles. Gets rid of the noise of non-owners downloading the apps to check them out (probably more than the number of actual owners).

But you were asking if there was any data on this... The core of my answer was to tell you that the granularity of the data you are looking for only Tesla would have the answer to... unfortunately.

That's my point in suggesting that the relevant metric is how many unique app installs are linked to actual vehicles. Gets rid of the noise of non-owners downloading the apps to check them out (probably more than the number of actual owners).

While we can't not be certain, we may reasonably conclude that Tesla knows how many owners (not just downloaders) are using which phones. Tesla seems to be saying that it will roll out to the iPhone first. Likewise, it would be reasonable for Tesla to reach out to its biggest user group first. Thus, we could infer that there are more iPhone users among the owners.

Unfortunately, all of this delightful logic may be completely wrong. From what we have heard, most of the software development team came from Apple, and it may just be the case that they are more comfortable programming for iOS in the first instance.

Great article about new functionality between Tesla and Apple

Great article about Apple and Tesla and tighter integration allowing drivers to start and drive their car from an apple device. I don't know if I want to drive my car like a video game but it would be cool if I could replace the key FOB with my phone. By the way I don't think the article is implying you can drive your car via remote control. The article also mentions Tesla poaching Apple employees. Oh if the late Steve Jobs were still alive today I bet he'd go apocalyptic considering he basically threatened, cajoled, coerced other companies from poaching Apple employees (at least according to news articles on the subject).

http://www.siliconbeat.com/2014/08/21/apple-tesla-together-at-last-iphone/

What is it about this one 6.0 beta feature that is causing new forum members to think they're the only ones who read about it and have to post it in new threads? This is 3rd or 4th one. Please read the "Firmware 6.0 beta discussion" thread from TUESDAY to learn where the info in this article came from.

Next time when you are trying to make a point don't make it look like I said something I didn't by modifying a quote. Thanks.
That was not my intent; I forgot to update the attribution part of the modified quote. Mea culpa. I'll correct my post.

Edit: Updated. Drop me a PM if you have additional concerns so we can address them.

My point of posting this article was more to discuss Tesla collaborating with Apple in bringing new functionality to the car. While I think it's cool that you can use an apple device to interface with your car, I think by them working together shows a lot of promise as to what is in store for Tesla owners in the future. I think Tesla hiring apple employees is an important clue as to what the future portends. The Beta 6 discussions are solely focused on software functionality vs how the Company operates. This is a different kind of company than most car manufacturers and where I think Tesla shines is that they're more in touch with what their customers and future consumers want. People who own Apple products tend to be very passionate about Apple technology (I'm one of them) and I've found the same to be true, in my relentless search for all information Tesla, for this Company as well. The fact that my two favorite companies are working together makes me very happy and hopeful of what the future brings.

My point of posting this article was more to discuss Tesla collaborating with Apple in bringing new functionality to the car. While I think it's cool that you can use an apple device to interface with your car, I think by them working together shows a lot of promise as to what is in store for Tesla owners in the future. I think Tesla hiring apple employees is an important clue as to what the future portends. The Beta 6 discussions are solely focused on software functionality vs how the Company operates. This is a different kind of company than most car manufacturers and where I think Tesla shines is that they're more in touch with what their customers and future consumers want. People who own Apple products tend to be very passionate about Apple technology (I'm one of them) and I've found the same to be true, in my relentless search for all information Tesla, for this Company as well. The fact that my two favorite companies are working together makes me very happy and hopeful of what the future brings.

There currently is no fact that they are working together. The blog post that you linked to is speculation based on another speculative blog post, which was based on the leaked beta screenshots posted on this site.

There was a survey, and I hope people pay attention to it, 17% of the folks use windows phone, which is a fair showing. What is your next smartphone going to be?

Thanks, I hadn't seen that poll. I wonder how much, if any, of the new features of 6.0 can be incorporated into the unofficial Tesla Companion app that Gustavo has done such an awesome job with. It'd be great to drive without my key fob and it'd be great for my calendar to sync with the car even though I'm a lowly Windows Phone user.

Also no proof that this an iPhone-only functionality. The wording in the release notes make it sound like this is a new feature for the phone app; and at the moment, that has only been released for the iPhone, but the Android version is coming shortly, and will (presumably) have the same functionality.

My thought is that the only car functionality Apple wants to be involved with is car-play where they take over the screen. I don't believe they are interested in anything else at this time.