Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
I don't know why they just don't do a big bang (you have the option of not accepting), gather up whatever bugs are reported into a post rollout bug fix and get things done.

Main reason is almost certainly there is scope for bugs that have major impact - either $ cost or reputational damage. There have certainly been bugs in the past that required service center/ranger intervention to get cars going again, and bugs that caused physical damage (12V battery charging bugs -> new 12V battery required). It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they fail to hit in beta testing some combination of factors that affects (say) 10% of cars. Suddenly disabling 10% of the fleet would cause massive problems - so even though it's not likely, only a remote possibility, it is reasonable for them to be cautious.

That's certainly true, but by watching the forums, I've been able to avoid unstable firmware. The only time you should get unstable firmware is when you take delivery of the car during a time when that's what's being installed.

Well not if the SvC put you on 5.12. I suppose I could have insisted that they not install it, but I honestly thought they had enough other work to do that they wouldn't even bother. It's not incredibly buggy but it is enough to be annoying. The door handles are one of my biggest gripes with 5.12 which is why I'm particularly eager to get my hands on 6.0.

I expected navigation to be smarter & have some of the feature Elon mentioned & what the cross country team was rumored to have had, factoring required energy if a route has large elevation climbs has to be a top priority so owners don't run out of juice on routes like Barstow to Vegas, range anxiety is still the big "buzz word" used to knock EV's so why not provide more tools to combat that, Elon mentioned the effects of weather being calculated as well but that is more complex then starting with elevation energy consideration, I thought he mentioned the car would warn you to slow down so you would reach your destination if the driver wasn't paying attention, how difficult is that to implement?

Traffic based navagation & calendar are both tagged beta, surely in all this time they have a beta version of "smart navigation" to roll out, I have met people who have been stranded or who don't realize elevation, weather & speed will have resulting in waiting for a tow.

Interesting that I haven't seen anyone else confirm the bug that I can reproduce at will with the USB music causing the center console to lock up. Possibly related but my wife went to play bluetooth and also caused the center console to lock up. My thought there is when she hit the device options the top device is the USB drive and probably started scanning in my library there thus triggering the original USB bug.

No kidding! When approaching the Model S from the rear, one must do the "Tesla two-step", walking past the plug to the driver's door to get everything to unlock, then reversing the remove the charge cable. It's a silly little dance.

Instead, pressing the button on the charge cable should tell the car to check for proximity of a fob, and if it's detected, to unlock the charge port. This works for the trunk, and it'd be great if it did for the charge cable too.

-Dane

Exactly!

Interesting that I haven't seen anyone else confirm the bug that I can reproduce at will with the USB music causing the center console to lock up. Possibly related but my wife went to play bluetooth and also caused the center console to lock up. My thought there is when she hit the device options the top device is the USB drive and probably started scanning in my library there thus triggering the original USB bug.

I noticed one other comment about that. Someone said they had the same thing happen, but just once.

Well not if the SvC put you on 5.12. I suppose I could have insisted that they not install it, but I honestly thought they had enough other work to do that they wouldn't even bother. It's not incredibly buggy but it is enough to be annoying. The door handles are one of my biggest gripes with 5.12 which is why I'm particularly eager to get my hands on 6.0.

The Dallas SC, where I go to, always asks. (I don't know if it's just me that they ask, as they might think I'm a particularly picky owner.)

I received 6.0 OTA. Was away on business from the 10th to the 12th. When I got into the car at noon on the 12th, the update was waiting for me. The car was not at home so it was on 3G.

So so far so good, but I really, really want to be able to see individual tire PSI. My sons Jeep Wrangler can do it so why can't my technological superior EV?

It's possible that this problem is triggered by something different about your USB drive. Is it 64GB or bigger? Nearly full? If you can reproduce the bug consistently (and if you want to take the trouble), you could try with a different USB drive or reformat your USB drive, put your music back on it and try again.

Same lockup happened to me when I first put in a 16 gig USB with music on it. Several days later did it again. I then switched to a Kingston Data Traveler MICRO - 32 gig and it's been flawless since. The MICRO is "teeny weenie" and extends less than 1/2 inch above the USB socket. Can barely see it.

I've been on 5.12 for many weeks now. Door handles seem the same as always to me, meaning no problem. What are you experiencing?

At times they don't present properly. Say you're putting things in the car and the door handles retract somewhere in that time. For me I cannot get them to extend without double pressing the key fob. Another thing is if a passenger is in the car with the fob and I try to get in, the handles will not extend unless the passenger goes through the touch screen to unlock the car even though the center console confirms the current lock state as unlocked. Those are just a couple.

Now, where's that 6.0 with the door handle fix?

Got 1.65.11 tonite.

Came from 5.11 ...

With 5.11: 220-222 rated miles

At "charge complete" (90% for me) it reported 220 tonight. I then upgraded the firmware. Upon wake-up with 6.0, it showed 238 rated miles -- and that there was charge remaining (i.e. it was around 88%). Charging then resumed and stopped at 239 rated miles. Me likee.

Blah - on decent wifi all weekend, power-saving mode off, nothing, boooo!

A couple of questions for the chosen few: on the Google Map, can you now tap a point a "navigate to", or do you still have to enter an address?

For the air suspension geo-fencing. This is a feature I'm really going to use as I live in a city full of pot-holes, massive speed bumps (there are a couple where I have to come to a near dead-halt to avoid scraping the under-tray on normal height setting) and very uneven cobbled streets. Now, question is on the behaviour. Lets say I pull up in front of a speed-ramp and raise the suspension, then after passing is, lower. The next time I approach at 30 kmph, but don't slow - does the car adapt so that the suspension is raised when I get to the hump? So does it take into account travelling speed and compensate?

Did that make sense?? :redface:

What about reformatting your drive, perhaps there's something in the catalog that is messed up that is causing the crash.

It's possible that this problem is triggered by something different about your USB drive. Is it 64GB or bigger? Nearly full? If you can reproduce the bug consistently (and if you want to take the trouble), you could try with a different USB drive or reformat your USB drive, put your music back on it and try again.
64 Gb drive and mostly full, lots of folders some FLAC in addition to MP3. Worked well with previous 5.9 and prior but no go with 6.0

I did try removing the USB drive and checking blue tooth and that seemed to work fine after the drive was removed.

Blah - on decent wifi all weekend, power-saving mode off, nothing, boooo!

A couple of questions for the chosen few: on the Google Map, can you now tap a point a "navigate to", or do you still have to enter an address?

For the air suspension geo-fencing. This is a feature I'm really going to use as I live in a city full of pot-holes, massive speed bumps (there are a couple where I have to come to a near dead-halt to avoid scraping the under-tray on normal height setting) and very uneven cobbled streets. Now, question is on the behaviour. Lets say I pull up in front of a speed-ramp and raise the suspension, then after passing is, lower. The next time I approach at 30 kmph, but don't slow - does the car adapt so that the suspension is raised when I get to the hump? So does it take into account travelling speed and compensate?

Did that make sense?? :redface:

I've been wondering the same thing... If I am going at a speed where the car lowers to Standard height, will the geo-fencing keep it at high, overriding the normal behaviour.
If anyone has tried this , let me know. I suppose anyone with 6.0 could test and let us know. (Of course the next question to follow will be : can you erase the geo-fencing if you had it set for a few weeks at a specific area...lets say a really bad pothole street where the car was programmed to be raised automatically finally gets paved...)

So many things to try...I just need version 6.0 ! I thought I was getting it when at the SC Sat night since my main console went black..but no, after the charge was finished, I still had 5.12

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Got 1.65.11 tonite.

At "charge complete" (90% for me) it reported 220 tonight. I then upgraded the firmware. Upon wake-up with 6.0, it showed 238 rated miles -- and that there was charge remaining (i.e. it was around 88%). Charging then resumed and stopped at 239 rated miles. Me likee.

Perhaps they changed the balancing algorithm? Sounds like it did a balance cycle and blead off some extra charge and the result was a 2% SOC difference.

I'm ~220 at 90%, 200 at 80% on 5.12 so I'll be sure to report back.