Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I beg to differ. Regen meter shows less regen now and to me it's quite obvious.
Maybe some cars had too much regen before? Pack differences?

Absolutely positively no difference in regen characteristics on my car.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention with each release people mention changes to their rated miles, etc. And those types of changes have only been mentioned by Tesla in one or two releases.

My Wh/mi numbers jumped a bit after 6.0. I drive a very consistent and predictable 95 mile route each day, so it was pretty obvious. Not the weather because it's been absolutely perfect here. Sunny, clear with temps in the low to mid 70's. No a/c or heat needed at all. (I've gone from around 260 to around 310 Wh/mi on these daily trips).

It's just too risky for Tesla not to improve the quality of their software releases.

There's always room for improvement, but we need to keep in mind that the car's software is immensely more complex than an iPhone because it involves a network of processors and peripherals, with multiple hardware versions of many components. This is why releases take a while. This is why there's such a prolonged beta test. This is why an "open beta" is a terrible idea. This is why firmware update "pushes" are in small batches over a long period of time. This is why firmware pushes are often stopped and .+01'd before they resume. ALL stuff we complain about. Cut 'em some slack.

PS: for all we know, there may be code in there that checks 12 vital systems and refuses to allow car to start if any checks fail. Would that be a bug, or quality design? A good designer would know that a system this complex will have bugs, and would ring-fence the vital systems to reduce risk of anomaly in those systems.

Last edited:
Tesla needs to step up their quality control to make sure their releases are completely bug free.

That is unlikely to ever happen. Have never found a piece of software that is completely bug free. That said, they should do everything in their power to ensure that the software doesn't ship with any major bugs (like unable to start your car).

I'm sort of in the middle on the issue of bugs in releases. Yes, of course there will be issues, navigation bugs, software crashes, etc. none of which I have a problem with. But I mean, beta testing a release for 6+ months and then having a bug resulting in the car not being able to start? That's a pretty major one, IMO.

PS: for all we know, there may be code in there that checks 12 vital systems and refuses to allow car to start if any checks fail. Would that be a bug, or quality design? A good designer would know that a system this complex will have bugs, and would ring-fence the vital systems to reduce risk of anomaly in those systems.

Right, and that's precisely the code that should receive the highest priority during beta testing.

Got an update from Tech. Service on the rest of us that haven't received 6.0 yet: Unfortunately there is no way to obtain an exact ETA of when you will receive the update but we should have the whole fleet updated with in the next week. When the update is downloaded to your vehicle you will see a notification in the form of a small alarm clock on the upper right hand side of your touchscreen and will have the option to schedule an installation time or trigger the install right away. The update will take from 35-45 minutes and the vehicle will not be operable during this time so make sure the car is ok to be parked for that amount of time.
Now I guess we wait and see if it's true, I'd be surprised...

For the first time in ages - possibly a year - I had a lockup of the touchscreen today. Was completely unresponsive until I rebooted it. Guessing a V6 bug?

View attachment 60051

do you have a USB drive in for your music? That does it for me. Pulling it out and rebooting makes it work perfectly again.

I have my car at the service center today but I really doubt they'll be able to do anything since the issue started on 6.0 and probably won't be fixed until 6.0.x update or maybe 6.1

I wanted to weigh in on the regen discussion. Please note, I am no expert in driving dynamics, so have your grain of salt handy.

I'm on V6, a friend is on V5.12. I'm vin 01590 and he is vin 51XXX or thereabouts (forgot to note the vin - but the car is a few months old). He is waiting to instal V6 (he has the notice but didn't know what to do to install / thought he needed to make a service appointment - Tesla needs to spend more time with new owners).

I drove both this afternoon. From what I can tell there is no noticeable difference. Our states of charge were about the same and we were both in 85's with the 19" rims. I will say, his car was MUCH cleaner than mine... and also the cup holders didn't have the springy things that hold cups in place (there is probably a thread of physical changes, this was one that surprised me), but the feel was otherwise indistinguishable to my untrained mental accelerometer. We tried it at low speed, some 60mph to foot off the pedal and general driving.

That probably didn't help too much.

You may return to arguing about the impossibility of bugless code.

Purely anecdotal evidence, I admit, but:

Since 6.0, I've been nailing my regen "stopping" in normal day to day driving (i.e., decreasing from normal driving speed to 5mph using only regen, importantly, at a pace where I don't feel like the car behind me is going to be riding up on me and arriving at the 5mph mark right behind the car in front of me so it only takes a minor tap on the brake to come to a complete stop). In short, I feel a difference and am happy with the result.

Also, I've noticed about a 6-8% decrease in wh/mi for my daily commute with no material changes in driving style or external conditions.

According to Javier Verdura, lead Model S designer, there are only 5 people in Tesla's UI team.

Now I don't know if "UI Team" means that they only focus on the UI, or that they are in charge of all software features. If the latter, then we are in for a long haul with only 5 software people.

- - - Updated - - -

Question: Did those of you who feel a difference in regen with 6.0 also feel a difference in regen last year with 5.8/5.9?

I think this could be a very important data point. :)

According to Javier Verdura, lead Model S designer, there are only 5 people in Tesla's UI team.

Now I don't know if "UI Team" means that they only focus on the UI, or that they are in charge of all software features. If the latter, then we are in for a long haul with only 5 software people.
We're getting a bit off-topic, but this was/is one of my concerns when considering Tesla as a company for employment. What's the long-term career path for a software developer there? Doesn't seem like there's much opportunity for advancement. Maybe I'm just misreading it though.

I'm noticing differences in regen -- but I'm not convinced it's 6.0. The temps are a little lower here and while I think regen limiting is kicking in a little EARLIER than before (thus perhaps a change), I think that's all it is. I'm seeing limits of 50 kW when I commute in in the morning (even though it was ~60F in the garage). Don't forget that regen limits do kick in *without* the yellow line showing up (it doesn't show up until more like 45kW or something).

Presumably, that's five for the user interface, but others would be doing maps, music, etc. Actually, I'd rather have fewer programmers that know more of the code rather than many programmers who only write just a piece to the specs they are given and really don't understand what the overall picture is.

I also have seen less aggressive regen after the 6.0 upgrade, I am now using my brakes more!! I agree that the ride is now smoother but I want to have the option of having aggressive regen if I want it. Now I am getting less power back to the batteries because of this change. Tesla, let us choose please!

Absolutely and positively a difference in mine! Cruise control is waaay smoother, and regen is far less aggressive when it kicks in. I like it.

He is waiting to instal V6 (he has the notice but didn't know what to do to install / thought he needed to make a service appointment - Tesla needs to spend more time with new owners).

No offense to your friend, but I don't know how much more clear Tesla could make it. The window that pops up when the update is ready tells you everything you need to know and gives you the option to install now or at a preset time. Why would he think it says "install now" if you have to drive it to a service center first?