Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't gotten a map update and the SC can't do map updates. Car is connected to WiFi at night.

I've got VIN S01055. It was delivered to my home in early December, 2012.

I've recently received the map and the 6.1 firmware updates. There's a street nearby where I live that has had a name change. Interestingly the navigation system still incorrectly references the old street name, even though the map itself show the correct name.

Larry

Last edited:
I like this thread and am enjoying reading about all the features, but alas I still haven't rec'd the update. SigP #443

Same boat as you. P072xx. Seems like most of everybody of different configurations have received it. All I care is the reverse lines so I don't curb the rims. The rest of the features, meh...

When they had those battery fires and then issued a software update to not lower your cars to "Low" setting, Tesla was sure aggressive in sending out updates to EVERYONE quickly. Even though I got the notice to update, I didn't want to update it. When I brought in my car for service, I told them I don't want the update. They said, if I want the service, they have to update it.

Let us know if you get the .92 version, or today's .113 build

Unfortunately Im not getting either. I get an 'Unable to update' message. Seems to be related to a bad 12V battery, I currently have the warning and reading through the forum this has occurred before when someone has this error. So, as I'm not getting the car serviced until February 2nd looks like I am SOL for the time being.

Finally got 6.1 today on my Classic MS and it's the .113 build. There is one additional "Additional Improvement" in the release notes over the .92 release for the classic release that differs from the autopilot equipped release. The new bullet is:

• The steering has been tuned for better performance at high speeds. This improvement is predominantly at highway speeds where the steering feels tighter, better damped, and less sensitive to driver input. To adjust to your preferred level, go to Controls > Driving > Steering Mode.

IMG_7859.jpg

I was at the SC today, and they said "Engineering has to individually approve your car for 6.1 release" and the massive download is of course the reason for the slow release. But it does seem a rather random process .... Soon enough I will be tapped.
Automobile Darwinism, and the species evolves better and stronger.
This is great stuff !

FWIW, just chiming in to give one more perspective on the upgrade rollout:

My mid-2014 P85 is still without receiving 6.1 - even without 6.0 release 2.x. A combination of on-wifi nights and off-wifi days interspersed with charging and no charging, that doens't seem to make a difference. Last time I recall the update coming quite promptly.

FWIW, just chiming in to give one more perspective on the upgrade rollout:

My mid-2014 P85 is still without receiving 6.1 - even without 6.0 release 2.x. A combination of on-wifi nights and off-wifi days interspersed with charging and no charging, that doens't seem to make a difference. Last time I recall the update coming quite promptly.
Exactly what about that is 'perspective'? We all know it is random and takes weeks if not months.

Exactly what about that is 'perspective'? We all know it is random and takes weeks if not months.

I was contributing my viewpoint, my experience. As said, "for what it's worth". No need to be snippy about it.

Do we know it is random, though? It seems random to us, but they may be following some logic behind scenes. I know it would probably take an unreasonable amount of input world-wide to try an decipher any pattern, short of Tesla telling us definitely what the roll-out plan is. Even then it may change from release to release. As for my comment, merely a small blimp of a data point. If nothing else, these types of messages communicate between firmware-waiting people that we're not alone and forgotten. :)

Beta? Mine is VIN 00064, and when I was at the Service Center last week, they refused to load 6.1 because it was "too buggy". So I don't have it, either. I don't see a lot of people on this forum complaining about bugginess, and I see they already have a fix out.

They guy I bought the car from said that he signed up to be a beta tester when he got the car. Also Tesla is picking up my car in 30 min and I asked them to pull 6.1 and they said no can do which I found odd.

I was contributing my viewpoint, my experience. As said, "for what it's worth". No need to be snippy about it.

Do we know it is random, though? It seems random to us, but they may be following some logic behind scenes. I know it would probably take an unreasonable amount of input world-wide to try an decipher any pattern, short of Tesla telling us definitely what the roll-out plan is. Even then it may change from release to release. As for my comment, merely a small blimp of a data point. If nothing else, these types of messages communicate between firmware-waiting people that we're not alone and forgotten. :)

OK, OK.... yes, I was intentionally snippy, but my back does get up when people keep posting "did get", "didn't get" in release threads... Especially a thread where I asked in original post to please not make "I did", "I didn't" posts! I realize it is just venting in the case of "didn't", and just excitement in case of "did". So, I will try to chill... but the word "perspective" got me. Absent any evidence-based correlation, hypothesis, or suggested causality - hearing someone doesn't have release yet does not provide any perspective to anyone... they just reinforce what we "classic" owners already know from our many release cycles - it takes time to get out to everyone.

Second part of your post is totally correct, absent any facts from Tesla, it appears pretty random, it takes 6+ weeks (and growing with increased ownership) to get a release out.

Intent of this thread was for experienced owners to communicate without release anxiety - we all know better - and to share observations on 6.1 absent all of the autopilot features that dominate the main 6.1 thread.

I guess it is hopeless to have a software update thread without the "I did", "I didn't" posts taking main stage.