Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They guy I bought the car from said that he signed up to be a beta tester when he got the car. Also Tesla is picking up my car in 30 min and I asked them to pull 6.1 and they said no can do which I found odd.

My SC told me they could not install, and that has been reported by many owners. They won't/can't. Reports indicate that different Service Centers have given vastly different explanations. I'd take all of the explanations with a grain of salt... clear message is they won't be doing this any more.

OK, OK.... yes, I was intentionally snippy, but my back does get up when people keep posting "did get", "didn't get" in release threads... Especially a thread where I asked in original post to please not make "I did", "I didn't" posts! I realize it is just venting in the case of "didn't", and just excitement in case of "did". So, I will try to chill... but the word "perspective" got me. Absent any evidence-based correlation, hypothesis, or suggested causality - hearing someone doesn't have release yet does not provide any perspective to anyone... they just reinforce what we "classic" owners already know from our many release cycles - it takes time to get out to everyone.

Fair enough - and especially about the first post request, which I forgot about. I did read it back in the day, but the wait has been so long that I had forgotten - posting in the other 6.1 thread didn't seem quite as relevant either. :) I would have honored your request had I remembered it.

FWIW, I did try to offer some datapoints on my car and how I operate it, and not just make it about didn't get it/got it. I know it would require an unreasonable amount of detail to try and decipher anything definite, though. Maybe someone should run a Model X tracking thread type of operation for Tesla firmware proliferation and make science out of it. The short span of each firmware release would make that a lot harder and less compelling than Model X tracking, so unlikely.

Maybe someone should run a Model X tracking thread type of operation for Tesla firmware proliferation and make science out of it. The short span of each firmware release would make that a lot harder and less compelling than Model X tracking, so unlikely.

Thx, PEACE here! It would be interesting to try to make science of it, but would be a lot of work for someone. I personally agree with your suggestion that the sequencing has changed over time, so even if you could do an Alan Turing act and decipher one update, it may not be a predictor of the next. To me, there are only 2 clear patterns: it APPEARS random, and it takes weeks to months to get a release fully distributed. Which means, now 12 days into 6.1 rollout, the majority do not have it.

I emailed ownership to let them know that i was ready for the 6.1 release and they said that the engineers push it out and i will just have to wait like others and they dont have a list or move people in the list. I did get the update after 2 days i.e 2 days after teslas response. I am not sure but seemed to me that they might have escalated it even though the response was that I just need to be patient.

For those of us with parking sensors without AP, don't we also get the enhanced Park Assist View? If not, I believe someone mentioned that at least the front sensors stay on when in reverse.

Yes, I now have an enhanced view and it's a nice improvement.

Before: Only on the small screen, and only one set of sensors at a time. Now: Front and back can show at the same time, and the image of car is blown up on the big screen.

One quibble is that the large side blind spots are displayed the same as obstacle free zones in the front or the back. (Note that the autopilot vehicles have much smaller or nonexistent blind spots, so not having a side-warning may actually mean the coast is clear laterally for those cars).

The rear-view camera with guidelines appears above this image.

Enhanced view.jpg

Has anyone else with a classic Model S noticed a big jump in rated range after the 6.1 update? I searched for this on the forum but only found threads relating to the P85D. Before the update, a 90% charge would get me about 225 rated miles. Since the update, a 90% charge gets me something like 238 rated miles. I'm not sure if I really have increased range or if it's just guessing based on my usually fairly conservative driving - most of the time I drive for maximum range over performance. It doesn't seem like driving history should affect rated range though. (I received the 6.1 update Friday night, 1/16.)

Rated range changes are a fairly common occurrence for at least some owners between software updates. That's part of the reason it's so difficult to get "real" info on battery degradation, Tesla keeps moving the goal posts, presumably by updating the range calculation/guess-O-meter with some software updates. I personally have seen no meaningful change in rated range after the update. YMMV.

Has anyone else with a classic Model S noticed a big jump in rated range after the 6.1 update? I searched for this on the forum but only found threads relating to the P85D. Before the update, a 90% charge would get me about 225 rated miles. Since the update, a 90% charge gets me something like 238 rated miles. I'm not sure if I really have increased range or if it's just guessing based on my usually fairly conservative driving - most of the time I drive for maximum range over performance. It doesn't seem like driving history should affect rated range though. (I received the 6.1 update Friday night, 1/16.)

the last several updates have apparently reset the rated range algorithms, which evolve back closer to prior values over several charges. So don't take those new miles to the bank unless still there in a few weeks.

My SC told me they could not install, and that has been reported by many owners. They won't/can't. Reports indicate that different Service Centers have given vastly different explanations. I'd take all of the explanations with a grain of salt... clear message is they won't be doing this any more.

What is a little annoying is when you already have a service scheduled to debug/fix an issue and then an upcoming software update that might contain a fix for said issue. Tesla couldn't update me to 6.1 to fix my parking sensors, and after keeping the car a day decided not to even try debugging the issue until after I got 6.1. Now I have to wait until I get 6.1, and if it doesn't fix the issue I get to wait the 6+ weeks it takes to get another appointment. Very frustrating.

Yes, I now have an enhanced view and it's a nice improvement.
Before: Only on the small screen, and only one set of sensors at a time. Now: Front and back can show at the same time, and the image of car is blown up on the big screen.

Thanks for the confirmation, though note even on the old software you could get the large sensor overview on the center console (1 direction only, though). The exception is if you kept the camera app open, in which case the sensor output was for some reason pushed to the instrument cluster.

Not knowing details about the mysterious algorithms which create so much pain and pleasure.... personally, I finally pretty much dismiss it. A mile is not a mile and of course completely depends on terrain, temp and foot pressure....
I prefer to use EVTripPlanner and watch KwH's. (knowing I only have about net 77.5 of them) :cool:

I've been happy with Tesla's onboard navigation tools, with over 26k miles on my car including a few road trips. Was just curious if anyone else noted the change but sounds like most of you don't look at the rated miles as much as I do. I often play a little game as I drive comparing my miles to rated and have had no problems.

I was also curious because yesterday I drove a little 160-mile round trip that I frequently make, and I thought maybe it used a bit less energy than usual. Not sure yet, I'll keep monitoring, but wondered if 6.1 might have actually improved efficiency.

Last edited:
Ok, with 6.1 (the first), I now get Range of 246 (vs 256 before). I know this is a guesstimate and will change - so not worried.

Loving the Trip calculation of Pct of Battery level. It has been within 1% on each of 5 tries so far. True, I kept my aggressiveness behind for those 5 trips, and with a subsequent trip, lost my patience with a BMW 5'er egging me. So I humiliated him (twice - like fish in a barrel) and lost 2% in the process.

The backup lines - nice - not a busied complicated display - but sufficient for the purpose. (Will have to get someone to spot so for future reference I can know exactly where the lines are).

Regen seems to be the same, maybe the new update of the update will change this. Think it should be more aggressive.

Thanks Tesla.

Thx, PEACE here! It would be interesting to try to make science of it, but would be a lot of work for someone. I personally agree with your suggestion that the sequencing has changed over time, so even if you could do an Alan Turing act and decipher one update, it may not be a predictor of the next. To me, there are only 2 clear patterns: it APPEARS random, and it takes weeks to months to get a release fully distributed. Which means, now 12 days into 6.1 rollout, the majority do not have it.

One more theory here, for in-betweenrs: Updates for Model S with swapped steering wheel stalks but no Autopilot (~Sep 2014))