Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signature VIN121 here ... with 6.1 installed. Prior forum posts said it could not be done, but there are white guide lines on the rear-view video screen now. The new Trip graphs of energy use are awesome. I've found that in Los Angeles highway traffic, when I am forced to go 40-50 MPH, I can easily achieve better than predicted results on the energy graph.

Hey, great thread for - I'd like to call us early adapters....;-)
Im in Denmark and was in the SC yesterday for a 12v battery exchange. So far two of my SW updates were done while visiting the SC, but with this one they said I'd have to wait until it was pushed to me. Well, too bad but would have loved to have it for the week end...;-)

Not a biggie in my book as cruise control in my car has had less than five minutes of use over 37,000 miles. On the other hand, I'd like the collision detection--just not enough to take the hit.

I've noticed that I use cruise a heck of a lot less on the Model S, because it is a pain to operate.

As far as firmware updates go, I hope Tesla updates the firmware to change the cruise control operating logic at least so that there is a way to set a new current speed (reached by pressing the pedal) without de-activating the cruise.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, personally, I don't see a need for separate threads for 6.1. I do think AutoPilot features could be separated into a different thread when discussing firmware updates, because clearly they are a separate area that only affects a portion of the cars and is a pretty large topic in itself, but other than that I think in reality there will always be small features that don't apply to some people and this will only increase over time as new options and standard features come along.

So, maybe a suggestion to have a firmware thread and an firmware update AutoPilot thread separately, but not separate firmware threads itself for pre-AP and post-AP cars? I think it would be unfortunate to see a sort of segregation going on in the forum. I'm prepared to chin up and understand someone will have features I don't. :) One day I will have a new car and be in the other place for a while, that's the circle of car-buying life.

Perhaps also a third thread to see how a firmware affects D cars, because two motors affects things. So my suggestion:

Firmware 6.1 common features
Firmware 6.1 AutoPilot features
Firmware 6.1 "D" features

[snip]

I have not received the update yet, but my July 2014 build P85+ is in the San Diego Service Center and one of the items on the docket was "firmware upgrade". I am due to get the car back today (Sat Jan 10), and I hope the appropriate 6.1 firmware will be on-board. If it is, I'll post what I learn here later today or tomorrow.

I did not get the car back today (needs another part from Fremont, so Monday), but my service advisor did tell me that they don't have and can't install 6.1. He advised that I will have to wait for the the OTA update. :-(

As far as firmware updates go, I hope Tesla updates the firmware to change the cruise control operating logic at least so that there is a way to set a new current speed (reached by pressing the pedal) without de-activating the cruise.

Huh?
I can adjust the cruise speed by pushing the stalk up and hold for a second or so, the white pointer indicator on the speedometer then jumps to the current speed and holds.

By the way, personally, I don't see a need for separate threads for 6.1. I do think AutoPilot features could be separated into a different thread when discussing firmware updates, because clearly they are a separate area that only affects a portion of the cars and is a pretty large topic in itself, but other than that I think in reality there will always be small features that don't apply to some people and this will only increase over time as new options and standard features come along.

Hey you kid! Get off of my lawn!! Leave us old-timers alone to do our own thing.

:)

- - - Updated - - -

Huh?
I can adjust the cruise speed by pushing the stalk up and hold for a second or so, the white pointer indicator on the speedometer then jumps to the current speed and holds.

Not only that, but you can move the stalk up or down one detent to increase or decrease the speed by 1 mph increments.. and you can push it "full up" or "full down" to inc/decr speed by 5mph increments. It works very well to adjust the speed without disengaging cruise control or hitting the accelerator pedal. This is in the manual.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, personally, I don't see a need for separate threads for 6.1.

i don't disagree and I think Nigel made that point by asking us to keep 6.1 content posts in the sticky 6.1 thread.
I started this one out of frustration of watching page after page of 6.1 posts all about driver assist and D range. Wanted to vent in the company of others who have decided NOT to upgrade! There's this odd compulsion to subscribe to new FW threads even though each one gets more tiresome than the last because there is logrithmic increase in owners.

My maps were updated last week however I never got any sort of notification in my car telling me this was the case. I just noticed yesterday that it says 2015 Google tesla.... And I can tell when I look at my yard on the maps it IS a very recent pic vs the 2014 that it used to say.

My maps were updated last week however I never got any sort of notification in my car telling me this was the case. I just noticed yesterday that it says 2015 Google tesla.... And I can tell when I look at my yard on the maps it IS a very recent pic vs the 2014 that it used to say.
Unfortunately no -- Google maps update in real time, so you'll see the map on the big screen is always current.

It's the navigation database, provided by Navigon, that has to be downloaded. You'll get a notification when it happens.

Pate - Did you get the update over the air or at your SC? Can you confirm that you got the media updates and trajectory lines on the backup camera?

Over the air, with 3G (I don't have WiFi configured at all). I noticed the RDIO buffering (part of the media updates), haven't tested USB playing yet so don't know about the shuffle/repeat features, but I assume those are there. I am not so sure I like the new RDIO functionality.. For me it seems to now play the first second of the song, then there is a 10-20 second silence while the song buffers, and then it restarts from the beginning of the song. Same thing with the next song.. In 6.0 it usually played the song fine in one go, without any buffering.

I posted in the 6.1 thread about the reverse guidelines: Firmware 6.1 - Page 19

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed that I use cruise a heck of a lot less on the Model S, because it is a pain to operate.

Interesting.. I drive all my trips on paved roads with cruise on. Only on dirt roads where I need to avoid potholes I usually tend to drive with cruise inactive. But I never turn the cruise stalk off, the green light is there always.

I can drive long distances with varying speed limits without touching either pedal, simply playing with the cruise control stalk. I don't find it difficult to use at all, even though I still would prefer steering wheel buttons (like my previous car had) over the separate stalk.

And you don't need to deactivate cruise if you use the pedal to reach a new speed, simply flick up (or down) on the stalk when at the new speed.

And you don't need to deactivate cruise if you use the pedal to reach a new speed, simply flick up (or down) on the stalk when at the new speed.

Good tip, I'll test that. Thank you. Still confusing as heck to have two different functions for the up/down cruise stalk, setting current speed and incrementally changing speed, depending on... I don't know what exactly. Doesn't seem ideal.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh?

Thank you for that tip to you too. I will test it and see if I can get into a rhythm about it. I didn't find that in the manual. It does seem quite unintuitive for the up/down stalk to have so many different functions depending on the mode it is in.

- - - Updated - - -

Not only that, but you can move the stalk up or down one detent to increase or decrease the speed by 1 mph increments.. and you can push it "full up" or "full down" to inc/decr speed by 5mph increments. It works very well to adjust the speed without disengaging cruise control or hitting the accelerator pedal. This is in the manual.

That I knew, of course, and that is - indeed - in the manual, nor is it unconventional on the Tesla either. Personally I find it more convenient to set the speed using the gas pedal. It is the on/off and engage/disengage and set speed logic of the Tesla cruise that I find off-putting. It is not the best in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

i don't disagree and I think Nigel made that point by asking us to keep 6.1 content posts in the sticky 6.1 thread.
I started this one out of frustration of watching page after page of 6.1 posts all about driver assist and D range. Wanted to vent in the company of others who have decided NOT to upgrade! There's this odd compulsion to subscribe to new FW threads even though each one gets more tiresome than the last because there is logrithmic increase in owners.

Yeah, I agree that AutoPilot and "D" are large-enough topics that those specifics could deserve their own threads. Rest of the firmware could be discussed in common threads, where option levels and incremental changes to the car over time mean some will always be irrelevant to some people, but mostly - unless Tesla changes something dramatically - will still be common for all.

Then again, I see there is therapeutic value to this thread as well to some people, so I'm game with that. Camaraderie of the old-timers, nothing wrong with that. :)

I feel kind of proud that mine is an "antique". We recently had a meet up, and mine and a sig were the only ones more than about 7 months old. it was like a badge of honor, and the newbies were sort of giving us props for buying so early. Funny.

Sure. Ignore me and my 16 month old Sept 2013 MC Red. I was one of the "Classic" attendees.

no 6.1 for me yet. Looking forward to following this thread.

I have an early car and I just got the update. I was away at the time, so I am not sure when it arrived.

It may be too early to tell, or it could be my imagination, but the homelink range seems better. I can trigger it from the middle of my cul-de-sac like I used to be able to do. It started falling short for me about 6 months ago or so and I could only trigger it from the driveway after a couple attempts. At that time, I brought it up with the Service Center after trying to reprogram it a couple times. They came out to my house try out my homelink and they reprogrammed it without improvement at that time. I showed them where it used to consistently trigger the garage door on one try in the past.

I'm thinking it was fixed somehow via update, even though it seems impossible. I just got out of my annual service, so they could have done something at that time, but nothing was listed on the invoice.

Thumbs up for the battery percentage graph! Even though it considers elevation, I wonder how it will compensate for major temperature variations associated with elevation changes. I wouldn't use it as a precision tool for routes through micro-climates with dramatic variation until I figure out more details.

My car still has an "A" battery. No change there.

The back-up lines will come with a learning curve for me, but it is exciting to see! I need to stop looking at the back up-lines for a while because I tend to focus on them too much at this point.

Now that those of us with the "original" Model S configurations are independent from the Driver Assist features, I hope that means we can get more accelerator control again with more regen! I'll cross my fingers for 6.2. I miss the stronger regen and more precise accelerator control that we had with previous pedal maps a great deal. I really don't care for the coasting sensation or delays in adjusting to a new lower speed limit. I prefer more control to mimic engine braking and downshifts. Somewhere between v.4.0 and v.5.0 it seemed just right.