Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The snowflake only appears when it is sufficiently cold... so that would not necessarily tie to software update. However, the threshold for the snowflake appearing could have changed between software releases...

I have never seen the snowflake ever. Here I am cold soaked at 18 F, Re-gen completely disabled and power limited as well... but no snowflake!

IMG_0148.JPG

I have 6.0 and saw the snowflake for the first time while visiting Rochester,NY. ( yes that says 3 degrees F )

I've been down to a few degrees below 0 F and not seen it. I notice yours is plugged in and charging while I am usually looking right after I get in and "turn on" the car. Does it only show when the car is "Off" maybe and I just haven't noticed? Not a big deal really, but a bit of a head scratcher for me.

I suspect they will. I had a "classic" and now have an autopilot car (so I kinda can hang out on this thread, hehe). The TPMS sensors are different now, but don't think they have any different functionality, so don't believe it matters. I think the receiver for each wheel is what determines which tire has which pressure. I think Tesla's maintenance screens have always been able to see the pressures in individual tires.

I have heard that they can see which tires trigger TPMS warnings, whether high or low doesn't seem to be there. I am going through this right now.. They are supposed to fix this tomorrow. We will see. Hopefully new sensors (mine seem to be buggy) and hopefully better firmware / software. I'd like AT LEAST to be able to see current pressures in each tire, tires labeled as to position AS in the incredibly cheap EV, the Chevy Spark.

Come on, Tesla. You can do it.

I've been down to a few degrees below 0 F and not seen it. I notice yours is plugged in and charging while I am usually looking right after I get in and "turn on" the car. Does it only show when the car is "Off" maybe and I just haven't noticed? Not a big deal really, but a bit of a head scratcher for me.
I saw the snowflake the other night for the first time. The car was cold soaked -19 C. It appeared for only a short time, after I had been driving for 5 or 10 minutes. Running the latest version of 6.0.

I don't have the update (still on 6.0) and after reading this about decreased regen braking, I'm not sure I want it. I probably shouldn't simply ignore the update when I get the notification but I'm wondering if the new features will be worth losing the current regen settings. For those of you who have the update, do you think it's worth it?

Btw, I also saw the snowflake for the first time a couple of days ago. I have not downloaded any updates so that's a puzzle.

I don't think regen changed at all between 6.0 and 6.1. I'm on 6.1 and have not noticed anything different. I think v12 to v12 meant some really classic regen settings in 4.0 or 5.0 software versions. So if you are currently on 6.0, you won't notice any difference in regen after updating to 6.1.

I have not seen the snowflake ever either, the coldest I've driven at so far is -24 degrees C.

Last edited:
I don't think regen changed at all between 6.0 and 6.1. I'm on 6.1 and have not noticed anything different. I think v12 to v12 meant some really classic regen settings in 4.0 or 5.0 software versions. So if you are currently on 6.0, you won't notice any difference in regen after updating to 6.1.

Thank you for this post. Now I won't worry about downloading 6.1 when I get the notification.

Has everyone that got 6.1 received a notification thru the app? I ask cause my MS is getting some work done so I am assuming I should be notified.

Not sure if mobile app will get notification if service center downloads, because they do not push OTA (or at least didn't used to).

Also, point of interest, I have firmware notifications turned on, and received/updated 6.1 this evening (yippee) -- but no notification on mobile app.

Had my VIN 60XX MS in at the SC for a tire rotation today and was asked what features I most wanted to upgrade (which would be noted in my Tesla profile). I included the hope that the new seats would be a retrofit. One thing I mentioned was that no SC 6.1 downloads had been noted here on TMC. When I got my car back, you can imagine my surprise to find that during the tire rotation, 6.1 had miraculously downloaded! What a coincidence! Thanks, Tesla Genie!

I got 6.1 today. The app alerted me there was an update available. Maybe everyone knows this but I thought I would share. The notification in the car said while updating can't drive and the display is inop. I got the update notification as I was leaving work. So of course I was itching to update. I had to stop to supercharge on the way home. Hmm let's charge for 40 minutes, update takes about the same, kill two birds with one stone. Not. Updating also disables charging. I called Tesla and suggested they make that clear in the update message. It will be interesting to see if they modify the verbiage going forward. All in all, I like the update. I'm going to try to run on % for a while.

Not sure if mobile app will get notification if service center downloads, because they do not push OTA (or at least didn't used to).

Also, point of interest, I have firmware notifications turned on, and received/updated 6.1 this evening (yippee) -- but no notification on mobile app.

OH and one other observation: on the primary 6.1 thread, people have been reporting LOOONNGG update times for 6.1. On my "classic" (with no D or driver assist), it took under 30 minutes. Fewer systems to update, I guess.

Darren, not sure you were the last in our area. I didn't get the update until Oct 29. The 6.0 update thread shows first downloads started Sept 11 last year, so it took almost 7 weeks for me to receive the update.

It has gotten humorous watching the forum at each new software update. As the number of new owners increases, so do the number of comments about who gets it first, does it come on wi-fi or 3G, do I need to be plugged in, does the car need to face the north, is Canada getting it before the U.S., how do I sign up for beta, can I get it at the service center, I just got my car from the service center and still have the old version, etc etc.

The main thing I've learned in almost 16 months of ownership and several software updates is that you will get it when you get it, and there is no pattern.

I forgot you and how long you had to wait. If I recall correctly, you were out of town during the initial rollout and still had to wait awhile after you returned. I got teased a bit at the Drive Electric Event in October for being the only one there without 6.0. But then again, I've got red so it makes up for it. :biggrin:

Great reading in this thread here! Thanks!
Pushing 30Kmi after 18 months in my old school "heritage" hunter green MS. Got it to drive it! and loving every minute. Entertained the idea of a D, but besides the haircut given to "high" miles on resale, the real max range in winter on the P85D is a bit of concern. I need every last mile for tripping in the hills. Know Tesla has some really smart software folks, but I don't know how you get 50% more hp with weight without paying for it :confused:. regen, really?

Anyway, nice to know there are others out there....
OK, maybe just a slow adopter. Non-adopter is a distinct possibility. I still make voice calls and use my spare Nokia flip phone often, especially after running over the iPhone6 with the tractor... An omen perhaps.

So just more on 6.1. I really like the trip feature in the "Energy" app. This morning it was very accurate in predicting what I would end up with remaining at the end of the trip. I wish I could get this to replace the standard "Energy" graph on the display to the roght of the speedo.