Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 6.1 today. The app alerted me there was an update available. Maybe everyone knows this but I thought I would share. The notification in the car said while updating can't drive and the display is inop. I got the update notification as I was leaving work. So of course I was itching to update. I had to stop to supercharge on the way home. Hmm let's charge for 40 minutes, update takes about the same, kill two birds with one stone. Not. Updating also disables charging. I called Tesla and suggested they make that clear in the update message. It will be interesting to see if they modify the verbiage going forward. All in all, I like the update. I'm going to try to run on % for a while.

Think of it as updating the operating system on your computer. You can't use your computer for anything while the OS is updating. Best to let the car update overnight then it doesn't matter how long it takes. That's why the default time the car displays for when the update will be installed is some time during the night.

Interesting.. I drive all my trips on paved roads with cruise on. Only on dirt roads where I need to avoid potholes I usually tend to drive with cruise inactive. But I never turn the cruise stalk off, the green light is there always.

I can drive long distances with varying speed limits without touching either pedal, simply playing with the cruise control stalk. I don't find it difficult to use at all, even though I still would prefer steering wheel buttons (like my previous car had) over the separate stalk.

And you don't need to deactivate cruise if you use the pedal to reach a new speed, simply flick up (or down) on the stalk when at the new speed.

This.

Operating the cruise control isn't hard... just getting used to it's placement as compared to my Toyota was.

Leave it on all the time, and can adjust, set new speed points, etc... Indicator is clear on the dash speedo. All the other cars used a single buttons for multiple operations (i.e. Set or Resume) as well. Not sure what's so different here.

So, as punishment for joining this thread, my service guy gave me a P85D loaner with less than 200 miles on it while my S85 is getting the contactor thing fixed. :)

To be honest, its reinforced what I thought driving back from the "D" event in Hawthorne--the fundamental driving experience is not better. I am not a fan of driver assist--the only time I use cruise control is when I am watching range. Driving on the freeway home after picking up the car felt much the same--getting on the freeway, however, holy cow!

I am very glad the P85D exists, but there is nothing there so compelling that I'll be trading up anytime soon.

PS I am sooooo glad I did not get the piano black interior - it looks great, but I fear I would go nuts perpetually chasing finger prints and smudges.

This.

Operating the cruise control isn't hard... just getting used to it's placement as compared to my Toyota was.

Leave it on all the time, and can adjust, set new speed points, etc... Indicator is clear on the dash speedo. All the other cars used a single buttons for multiple operations (i.e. Set or Resume) as well. Not sure what's so different here.

The only caveat: I left my cruse on set for highway speed and offered to let a friend do a test drive with me. All went perfect until about a mile from my house, at a stoplight where he was turning left, the car jumped forward and he had to jam on brakes. I asked what was up, did he perhaps hit accelerator instead of brakes? He was adamant no. Drive home was otherwise uneventful.

Afterwards I surmised what happened was he was intending to left turn signal and accidentally PULLED BACK on the cruise stock..... which resumed the set speed.

Power tools, gotta use 'em carefully.

The only caveat: I left my cruse on set for highway speed and offered to let a friend do a test drive with me. All went perfect until about a mile from my house, at a stoplight where he was turning left, the car jumped forward and he had to jam on brakes. I asked what was up, did he perhaps hit accelerator instead of brakes? He was adamant no. Drive home was otherwise uneventful.

Afterwards I surmised what happened was he was intending to left turn signal and accidentally PULLED BACK on the cruise stock..... which resumed the set speed.

I don't think it will allow you to reengage cruise control below a certain speed. I'm not sure what that speed is, though.

I don't think it will allow you to reengage cruise control below a certain speed. I'm not sure what that speed is, though.

you can engage cruise control at 19mph and then for 20+ mph.

- - - Updated - - -

So, as punishment for joining this thread, my service guy gave me a P85D loaner with less than 200 miles on it while my S85 is getting the contactor thing fixed. :)

I am very glad the P85D exists, but there is nothing there so compelling that I'll be trading up anytime soon.

PS I am sooooo glad I did not get the piano black interior - it looks great, but I fear I would go nuts perpetually chasing finger prints and smudges.

+1. The D is an amazing car but as a daily driver I like my P!

Also so I have ge piano black it IS really pretty and actually finger prints aren't an issue but every little speck of dust in the air is attracted to it. My one and only regret b

Agreed, that you have to get used to the stalk position (I actually prefer my Toyota layout)... but my point was that all the other CC implementations behave the same way with regard to buttons: Set and increase are the same function, you can tap increments up/down, etc...

Agreed, that you have to get used to the stalk position (I actually prefer my Toyota layout)... but my point was that all the other CC implementations behave the same way with regard to buttons: Set and increase are the same function, you can tap increments up/down, etc...
And as a long-time MB S550 owner, the stalk is completely natural. All depends on your training, I guess.

I guess it would depend on what kind of software features they plan to add and what kind of hardware is required. If they decide to only focus on features that need the auto pilot hardware then we'd be left out of those.

There are almost limitless innovative and new ideas that Tesla could implement in software for all cars on the road. Just because there's one new iteration of hardware (sensors and auto-pilot) doesn't mean the end to updates for 50,000+ cars currently on the road without these sensors. It would be a PR disaster if Tesla promised constant updates to our cars last year, and gives up on it this year.