Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can calm down now. Got the update yesterday. I'm vin #1571, a real brown classic!
Mine's the same "vintage" as yours (VIN1794). Got the notification on my phone yesterday that the update was available - installed without issue today. I was happy to see that the "what's new" screen only described things pertaining to our car (it did not mention items relating to updates for newer cars with sensors, etc.)

After I have a chance to drive and actually test some things out, I will post if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
For those of you wondering if, after installing firmware .92 or .113, an improved/decreased Rated miles value at 90% or 100% SOC means that you can now drive more/fewer actual miles, don't forget that with the latest updates Tesla has given you the "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" option: display the battery state in Percent instead of Rated miles, and life is a bowl of cherries. :biggrin:

I was just trying out the new backup guidelines, and they seem to be way off. I backed into a parking space using my side mirror to put the edge of my wheel on the parking line on the left side, and guideline was well inside the parking space (at least 6 inches, maybe more), not outside the parking space, as I would expect. This means, if I had used the guideline to line up, my car would be parked over the line, and into the parking space to the left. That's seems bad.

Do other brands of cars have more accuracy in their backup guidelines? Can the service center calibrate this?

I was just trying out the new backup guidelines, and they seem to be way off. I backed into a parking space using my side mirror to put the edge of my wheel on the parking line on the left side, and guideline was well inside the parking space (at least 6 inches, maybe more), not outside the parking space, as I would expect. This means, if I had used the guideline to line up, my car would be parked over the line, and into the parking space to the left. That's seems bad.

Do other brands of cars have more accuracy in their backup guidelines? Can the service center calibrate this?

I always thought it was a bit brave from Tesla to offer the guidelines after the fact. Your message illustrates why.

Some (most? all?) other brands definitely calibrate the rear camera guidelines (same with adaptive cruise radars) at factory and re-calibrate at service centers after collisions. There are cardboard markers/cutouts and lasers and whatnot involved, depending on the brand.

I always thought it was a bit brave from Tesla to offer the guidelines after the fact. Your message illustrates why.

Some (most? all?) other brands definitely calibrate the rear camera guidelines (same with adaptive cruise radars) at factory and re-calibrate at service centers after collisions. There are cardboard markers/cutouts and lasers and whatnot involved, depending on the brand.

Am not sure the rearview guide lines were calibrated or not but my 2009 Mercedes-Benz ML320 got them with a dealer-installed firmware upgrade in 2012 which converted the MBrace system to MBrace-II.

I got the update last night and installed this morning. As ClearwaterBchSteve pointed out, it seems to only show updates that are pertinent to your car. Having no tech package, it seems I only missed out on the Nav related stuff, and AutoPilot of course -- but did get pre-conditioning. I actually wish I could turn the back-up lines off - they offer no value and if anything are a distraction.

I got the update last night and installed this morning. As ClearwaterBchSteve pointed out, it seems to only show updates that are pertinent to your car. Having no tech package, it seems I only missed out on the Nav related stuff, and AutoPilot of course -- but did get pre-conditioning. I actually wish I could turn the back-up lines off - they offer no value and if anything are a distraction.

I was really hoping the rear camera backup lines could be switched off too. They are totally useless and just distracting on the screen.

I think the new backup lines work very well.

I agree.... I've never been one to have problems backing up (having towed large trailers with large pickup trucks tends to make anything smaller seem easy by comparison).. but I've had the FW update for a couple of days now, and I've tested how well aligned the lines are and they seem pretty spot on for my car...

Tesla sez I just got the update and ready to install!

IMG_1420.jpg