Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an idea what is happening?

Got the alarm symbol on the center screen: update available. I saw it while I was driving home, about 400 km to go. Now I know that update while driving is not a good idea.

Pulled into the next Supercharger. Started charging (had only 25 km left).

As I was bored, I started the update while sitting in the car. It showed me that it wanted to update to 6.1 and that it would tahe about 45 minutes. Fine. So I started the update.

The car made clicking noises from the rear, the screen turned blank several times, this continued for about 15 minutes.

Then a screen came up saying it could not successfully complete the update.

No problem, I thought. Maybe it doesn't like to update while (Super-)charging. But wait: No more update light. No mention of an upcoming update. I pressed the Tesla sign on the top of the center screen. Still on 6.0.

Can anyone here point me to what I could do? How do I get the 6.1?

UPDATE

I was able to install 6.1 without any problem yesterday. The update button came on by itself in the afternoon. Now I am a happy camper.

What I learned:

Do not update while charging.
Do not update while driving (obvious).
Do not fiddle with the car while update (get in or unlock or ....)
Do not check the phone app while updating.

Just leave the car alone. Let it do its thing.

UPDATE

I was able to install 6.1 without any problem yesterday. The update button came on by itself in the afternoon. Now I am a happy camper.

What I learned:

Do not update while charging.
Do not update while driving (obvious).
Do not fiddle with the car while update (get in or unlock or ....)
Do not check the phone app while updating.

Just leave the car alone. Let it do its thing.

If any of those things interrupt the update, they're bugs. You should report to Tesla.

Had a chance yesterday to test out the trip part of the energy graph. It seems pretty accurate, but I was always below the original grey line showing the trip. After one downhill stretch I drove slowly to see if I could get above the line, and couldn't.
Later in the day, I punched in a destination 500 miles away. Got the warning that I needed to charge to make it there. I like the graph it showed going from green to yellow to red.
IMG_0054.JPG

Also like the fact that the nav will show the return trip battery level.

Yes, I know maps have always been separate, in my mind it makes sense to update all users to the latest maps while adding new features to navigation, but Tesla knows best.

Actually you would want to update each one independently, so if there are any problems with the Nav, you can isolate it to the software or the maps .. If you update both at the sane time, you loose that ability.

I think the lines work very well but then i thought i would test a little as i luckily parked across a line. Pictures below

backup camera red line is the line what i am comparing to here the line shows that its in side the red line

Here it shows the tires are on the red line. This shows that the lines are not even showing the middle of the tire. Its more like the inside of the tire. So these are just guide lines can not be relied on 100%

Finally got 6.1 yesterday and installed today, I can confirm my guidelines are similar to these - they are useful only in showing the direction of the car's turn, not in determining the outside dimensions on the tires/car. The lines seem to roughly line-up in the middle of the tires, not with their outer edges as is usually the case with competing cars.

So, room for improvement at Tesla still.

Overall I'm very happy with the 6.1 update, though, as a first impression.

Classic MS 85, VIN P019xx. I seemed to get a boost in my rated range after upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1. I had done a full range charge and was sitting at 250 miles (almost 40k miles on my A pack battery) when I got the notice to upgrade, so I went ahead. Shortly thereafter, with no further charging, my rated range was now 265. I'm sure there's no change in actual range, but it was interesting to see 265 rated miles, which I hadn't seen for 2 years now.

VIN P15xxx -- Finally got the upgrade this afternoon while away from any wi-fi.

I saw a 1RM decrease in range after the update (72RM to 71RM-- could just be vampire draw).

So glad I got it today, since I start a 1200 mile return trip tomorrow and Tuesday.

Although I'm driving north into historical blizzard conditions in the NYC area. Could be an interesting couple of days.

Finally got the update last night and installed it this morning. Crazy how the parking assist lines work without the sensors. And not sure I like the new right click wheel behavior. Going to be interesting to see how the other features play out, especially the trip prediction as I plan to drive down LA next month.

Classic MS 85, VIN P019xx. I seemed to get a boost in my rated range after upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1. I had done a full range charge and was sitting at 250 miles (almost 40k miles on my A pack battery) when I got the notice to upgrade, so I went ahead. Shortly thereafter, with no further charging, my rated range was now 265. I'm sure there's no change in actual range, but it was interesting to see 265 rated miles, which I hadn't seen for 2 years now.
Many reports about when people saw the same rated mileage bump with 6.0, that it only lasted for 1 charge cycle, and then the old range numbers came back... will be interesting to see if your range bump lasts more than that.

My 60 updated to 6.1 on Sat, but I didnt charge Sat night since I only drove 5 miles on Sat.

I did not see the temp range bump / reset with 6.0 or any earlier updates, so I wasn't expecting anything on 6.1 either. But I noticed something strange this morning:
- The alert email from VisibleTesla shows 175.6 RM at 90% when charging stopped about 4am -- similar to other recent charges.
- When I checked the Tesla App, it showed 179 RM with the battery bar slightly above 90% at about 5:15am

Weird. Will see what it does over the next few days...

Got my update notice last Friday at work (1/23) and updated at home. Nothing out of the ordinary (reports here being the basis for "ordinary"), except that I seem to be getting much better WiFi sensitivity/reception at home, post-update. Is this just subjective, or has anyone else noticed this?