Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran into an interesting bug on 6.1...113 yesterday.

Was using TACC in stop and go traffic. At some point, I was stopped for more than a few seconds, and expected the car to read "HOLD", but it did not switch away from "CRUISE", while holding stopped. When the car in front of me moved, the car tried to move while holding the brakes, and produced a very loud squeeling sound, moved a couple of feet, and then came to a complete stop and put the car in park. I was able to put the car back in drive, and re-engage TACC without any problem.

Wasn't sure how any of the bug reporting stuff works, so I didn't actually get to report it.

So I wonder which it is. Did they make the estimate worse or did they improve performance somehow?

I don't think so. While the trip energy prediction is more accurate, my Wh/mile is still the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly enough my 90% rated range went up from 171 to 189 after 6.1 with my 60kwh.

I feel they again revised the rated mile calculations. Immediately before I upgraded, I had 147 rated miles. After I upgraded, I had 149. My 90% charge has increased from 221 to 228. Note: I have a P85D so different rated mile calculations from a 60.

Icrease in rated miles after FW update has been widely reported and discussed in this and prior release threads. Most common experience is miles go up after update, then float back down over weeks. Best hypothesis is update resets algorithm to factory values and from there it takes time and charges to average in actual battery state. Having said that, mine did the usual increase after 6.1, but has not yet drifted down.

Ran into an interesting bug on 6.1...113 yesterday.

Was using TACC in stop and go traffic. At some point, I was stopped for more than a few seconds, and expected the car to read "HOLD", but it did not switch away from "CRUISE", while holding stopped. When the car in front of me moved, the car tried to move while holding the brakes, and produced a very loud squeeling sound, moved a couple of feet, and then came to a complete stop and put the car in park. I was able to put the car back in drive, and re-engage TACC without any problem.

Wasn't sure how any of the bug reporting stuff works, so I didn't actually get to report it.

I heard another Tesla owner telling me this same story as it happened to him. Felt like the car was going to shake apart. It's a known issue according to the service center. I'd still report it in just to have Tesla keep track of the occurrences.

Icrease in rated miles after FW update has been widely reported and discussed in this and prior release threads. Most common experience is miles go up after update, then float back down over weeks. Best hypothesis is update resets algorithm to factory values and from there it takes time and charges to average in actual battery state. Having said that, mine did the usual increase after 6.1, but has not yet drifted down.

That may be, but that's not been what's been going on with the P85Ds and the updates we've been receiving. Our updates have been increasing the actual high-end of the scale, not just getting us back to it.

The earliest numbers below may be off by a hair, but I believe initially a 90% charge showed about 217 miles of range max. After one update that got bumped up to 220 or 221. After another update that got bumped up to 225. And after this most recent update it has been bumped up to 228. I understand that these "max" numbers can creep down over time, and then a firmware update resets them back to their max, and over time they then start to creep down again. That's not what P85D owners have been experiencing with these most recent updates.

A software update has appeared for my P85 with autopilot (delivered near the end of September, so it's one of the first); it's installing now. I paid for fog lamps and parking sensors, so we shall see if that means I get TACC with the update. Well, we'll see if it is 6.1. I didn't notice that it said anywhere.

If you also got the Tech package I would think Tesla would owe you $500. I had the old $3,750 tech package and parking sensors and got TACC with the 6.1 upgrade.

Hadn't seen it stated yet for today, so I am happy to report I apparently received the update overnight since I woke up this morning with the update prompt. I didn't drive my car in to work today so I went ahead and forced the download so it will be ready when I get home!

The good news is that inspite of the reported TACC bug and seeing the first minor update that they are still rolling out the update consistently.

- - - Updated - - -

If you also got the Tech package I would think Tesla would owe you $500. I had the old $3,750 tech package and parking sensors and got TACC with the 6.1 upgrade.

From what is written on their website, safety features come standard and convenience features (TACC is likely considered convenience) comes with the Tech Package. Since he has the tech package (although not stated, you needed the tech package previously to even order the parking sensors and fog lamps) then he should get TACC for certain. If not then I would bring this to their attention as it would likely be an oversight on some configuration setting.

I heard another Tesla owner telling me this same story as it happened to him. Felt like the car was going to shake apart. It's a known issue according to the service center. I'd still report it in just to have Tesla keep track of the occurrences.
Yep. I've had this happen. Like the brakes and acceleration were on at the same time fighting each other. Only happened once in 1000 miles.

Here are some comparisons on the range prediction from .92 to .113:

I am in Boulder with both my early Sig P85 and the recent P85D. Both currently have v6.1(2.2.113) software as of this morning.

From 9 days ago, the P85D with v6.1(2.2.92) reported needing 43% charge to get to Silverthorne, CO and 24% back.

Today the P85D with v6.1(2.2.113) reported Silverthorne as 46% there and 28% back, and the P85 with v6.1(2.2.113) reported needing 41% to get to Silverthorne and 23% back.

It is interesting that the P85D estimates changed by 3-4% SoC over an 80 mile trip for .92 to .113. It's also interesting to see the P85D needing 10% over the 64% that the P85 needs for a 160 mile round trip. That is an increase in predicted energy usage of 10/60 or 16% for the P85D over the P85!

Here are some comparisons on the range prediction from .92 to .113:

I am in Boulder with both my early Sig P85 and the recent P85D. Both currently have v6.1(2.2.113) software as of this morning.

From 9 days ago, the P85D with v6.1(2.2.92) reported needing 43% charge to get to Silverthorne, CO and 24% back.

Today the P85D with v6.1(2.2.113) reported Silverthorne as 46% there and 28% back, and the P85 with v6.1(2.2.113) reported needing 41% to get to Silverthorne and 23% back.

It is interesting that the P85D estimates changed by 3-4% SoC over an 80 mile trip for .92 to .113. It's also interesting to see the P85D needing 10% over the 64% that the P85 needs for a 160 mile round trip. That is an increase in predicted energy usage of 10/60 or 16% for the P85D over the P85!

Really interesting. It make sense as the energy predictions were off track by around 10% on my D. So it means it's more inline with the real world.

I don't know if this bug can be attributed to 6.1 (2.2.113), or the Tesla app, or a combination of both; but I never saw it before, so here goes...

- Opened the Tesla app on my iOS device and saw that I'd left the charge limit above 90% after a preheat session yesterday. The car was not charging.
- Reset the charge limit to 90% SOC through the app; this was a few percent less than the current SOC.
- Some time later, I received notification on my phone that 'Charging completed at 12:07 pm with battery at 234 mi'. I did not receive a 'Charging started' notification to go with it.

I thought that was odd, since I'd just reset the charge limit to a value less than 234 miles, so I opened the app and saw that the charge limit was now set to 50%. Which is doubly odd, because...

- I didn't set it to 50%: I set it to 90%.
- The car had apparently ended a charging session it never 'started', while the SOC was at all times higher than 90%.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

That may be, but that's not been what's been going on with the P85Ds and the updates we've been receiving. Our updates have been increasing the actual high-end of the scale, not just getting us back to it.

The earliest numbers below may be off by a hair, but I believe initially a 90% charge showed about 217 miles of range max. After one update that got bumped up to 220 or 221. After another update that got bumped up to 225. And after this most recent update it has been bumped up to 228. I understand that these "max" numbers can creep down over time, and then a firmware update resets them back to their max, and over time they then start to creep down again. That's not what P85D owners have been experiencing with these most recent updates.

Yup, fully agree with Andyw2100. My experience is that these are not temporary adjustments, but actual adjustments in the base calculation used to define rated miles.

Ugh, I so want this update, why is this taking so long.....come on Tom Morrow needs his backup lines!

LMAO I hear you brother. Tom is not alone :)

Meet TeslaCat...

TeslaCat.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... my P85D downloaded ~300MB today... but I'm not near it at the moment. :-\

Any way to check if an update is ready remotely without iOS?

I already have .113 so, not sure what would be next...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a false alarm... for some reason my car has been downloading songs from slacker all day? With no one touching it... (doors closed, locked, energy saver on, etc...)

Last edited: