Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last summer firmware version 5.12 was buggy as hell & made the car totally unresponsive prior to driving & needed a reboot, dealt with it for almost a month & I was pissed but luckily never in danger, lesson learned is to wait 4 days before installing an update & checking TMC first...My wife & kids are not beta testers.

Last summer firmware version 5.12 was buggy as hell & made the car totally unresponsive prior to driving & needed a reboot, dealt with it for almost a month & I was pissed but luckily never in danger, lesson learned is to wait 4 days before installing an update & checking TMC first...My wife & kids are not beta testers.

I agree it's the safest approach. Especially since I'm 2:30 minutes from the Service Center.

I got .167 last weekend and drove 325 miles across Colorado with Range mode on in my P85D. About half way, I got the "Car Needs Service, power reduced" message. The car kept driving fine, and after many phone calls to Tesla and fellow TMC'er Stevezzzz, I rebooted the center console (in good cell phone coverage and near hotels and services) and all was fine again.

See the gory details of my "sort it out while driving" experience at P85D Lost power on road, - Page 12.

On a positive note, .167 seems to have a better calibration on altitude effects of energy use (long climbs and descents). In earlier versions, the car used more energy than predicted in climbs and less energy than predicted on descents; the prediction underestimated energy needs for climbs and overestimated energy needs for descents. The predictions in .167 seem to much better calibrated for long climbs and descents.

I don't know precisely which release enabled tire-specific TPMS warnings, but I saw one this morning for the first time, on .167. Finally!

I received my car on 22 Dec and a week later I received a message that my right-rear tire was low. It had a small nail in it. I can't remember what firmware I was on, but I'm pretty sure this was right before 6.1 was released.

I received my car on 22 Dec and a week later I received a message that my right-rear tire was low. It had a small nail in it. I can't remember what firmware I was on, but I'm pretty sure this was right before 6.1 was released.
I also got a nail in my tire and had the indicator on the dash say "Right rear tire low" so it is specific. Just doesn't read actual psi.

Yes, well, it's a big improvement over the earlier versions which just told you that one or more of your tire pressures was out of spec. I don't even think it said high or low, much less telling you which tire was the culprit. I measured the pressure in my right front tire at 38 psi, and it was normal yesterday when I had my tires rotated.

Really need to dust the console display; I just got back from the Sonoran desert. :biggrin:

20150225-IMG_5303-2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, well, it's a big improvement over the earlier versions which just told you that one or more of your tire pressures was out of spec. I don't even think it said high or low, much less telling you which tire was the culprit. I measured the pressure in my right front tire at 38 psi, and it was normal yesterday when I had my tires rotated.

Are there any changes to the button that lets you initialize sensors after seasonal wheel changes? It seems there would have to be some way to let the car know which wheel (sensor) is on what corner of the car. My former Cadillac had a method that involved the car blinking one turn signal on each corner of the car in succession (unless you had the dealer do it with their tool).

Are there any changes to the button that lets you initialize sensors after seasonal wheel changes? It seems there would have to be some way to let the car know which wheel (sensor) is on what corner of the car. My former Cadillac had a method that involved the car blinking one turn signal on each corner of the car in succession (unless you had the dealer do it with their tool).

Wonder how they're doing it? My assumption was there was a sensor in each wheel well. I recalled a Continental sensor that on my S85, looking on my 85D I'm pretty sure it isn't involved in TPMS. Looks to be part of the air suspension and is used to sense if the car is level (even says "level sensor" on it). The rear wheel wells are covered up much better so I can't see any sensors in there without removing things.

The text that accompanies the button that resets the TPMS system says that there's no need to reset TPMS when rotating tires. Until I read that, one of my hypotheses was that the warning had popped up because I'd had my tires rotated yesterday. But, in fact, the tire pressure was low on the corner of the car called out in the warning.

Took it back in to the tire shop and they found a tiny sliver of metal causing a slow leak.

Last edited:
Really? Cool. Where do you go to see this?

This was actually out with .139 I had all 4 low due to the extreme cold in our area (-5F). I also had 2 low but if its just one low it will tell you which tire.
Believe it or not I think mine was wrong as my front right was lowest in psi. I use FOBO tire pressure monitoring system. Its fantastic. Tells you psi to each tire,
via an app. Works great. I can tell my psi to the 0.1 psi. If you are a tire pressure goof like me, I'd recommend FOBO.