Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the problem with the 007 Easter egg? I love my depth gauge (in leagues, mind you) and the amphibian car picture!

Realize that a league is 3 nautical miles. The book "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" used league as a measure of distance, and not of depth; it indicated how far the submarine traveled, not how deep it went. 20,000 leagues is 60,000 nautical miles, about six earth diameters or about two times around the earth.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Distance Traveled - Wikipedia
League (unit) - Wikipedia

I would change the communication grade to F-, personally. This was a dangerous issue with potentially horrific consequences to both the driver and the company, and Tesla failed to alert those who might have been affected. But, a conditional A+ for the quick fix, assuming that it did resolve the issue without breaking anything else. I really, really hope Tesla, despite the lack of a media firestorm or a tragic accident, takes this incident to heart and THOROUGHLY tests all OTA updates before pushing them out. This isn't a game console or a phone, this is a tank like missile that could do serious damage if they eff something up. People don't need firmware updates ASAP, but they do absolutely need to know that the car will perform as it is supposed to all the time.

+1. I was one of the ones who experienced the issue first-hand, reported to Tesla, and discussed with the local service manager -- but no email or courtesy call for me. I've installed .179 but haven't had a chance to drive yet -- thanks to others for testing and hopefully confirming that this issue is resolved.

-- David

+1: A for engineering, C- for communication, F for documentation

And F- with extreme prejudice for release management:

Here's my chronology:

Feb 17: delivered with version .140; all is well
Feb 20: dropped off at Premier for a full wrap
Feb 23 (approx): mobile app notifies me of a software update (presumably the dreaded .167)
Feb 22-27: lots of talk on the forum about a serious bug
Feb 27: I reclaim my beautifully wrapped P85D but I don't update yet pending the fix
Feb 28 early am: I get another notification that there's a software update
Feb 28 around noon: lots of folks on the forum report getting version .179; Tesla acknowledges that it fixes the bug
Feb 28 1pm: I do an update but IT INSTALLS VERSION .167 !!!!
Feb 28 3pm: I call the Palo Alto service center but the best they can do is assure me that i'll get another update soon

So. My car is MUCH WORSE now that it was before even though the fix has ALREADY BEEN DELIVERED to other customers. What kind of insane release process sends out a seriously buggy release AFTER the fixed release is already done? I suppose I can imagine a lame process whereby it is necessary to update sequentially to each new release but in that case surely I would expect to be able to update again to the latest one immediately.

I have been a loyal Tesla customer for about as long as that has been possible (since 2006). But this is trying my patience!

And F- with extreme prejudice for release management:

Here's my chronology:

Feb 17: delivered with version .140; all is well
Feb 20: dropped off at Premier for a full wrap
Feb 23 (approx): mobile app notifies me of a software update (presumably the dreaded .167)
Feb 22-27: lots of talk on the forum about a serious bug
Feb 27: I reclaim my beautifully wrapped P85D but I don't update yet pending the fix
Feb 28 early am: I get another notification that there's a software update
Feb 28 around noon: lots of folks on the forum report getting version .179; Tesla acknowledges that it fixes the bug
Feb 28 1pm: I do an update but IT INSTALLS VERSION .167 !!!!
Feb 28 3pm: I call the Palo Alto service center but the best they can do is assure me that i'll get another update soon

So. My car is MUCH WORSE now that it was before even though the fix has ALREADY BEEN DELIVERED to other customers. What kind of insane release process sends out a seriously buggy release AFTER the fixed release is already done? I suppose I can imagine a lame process whereby it is necessary to update sequentially to each new release but in that case surely I would expect to be able to update again to the latest one immediately.

I have been a loyal Tesla customer for about as long as that has been possible (since 2006). But this is trying my patience!

From what I've read, once the car gets an update pushed, it will install that first before installing any subsequent updates. You got .167 pushed to your car on Feb 23 (this means the car had already downloaded the update) so until you install that, it won't install the next version. Tesla should probably enhance their firmware push process so that it can negate a previously downloaded release, especially in cases where said release could cause problems with the car.

That said, aren't you being a little dramatic that your car is "MUCH WORSE"? You'll have to live without Range Mode for a day or so. Really that bad?

Ah, that's not how it works. Your car had downloaded .167 and told you about it. You declined. It keeps offering until you take it. I don't think there's a way to skip a release that the car has already downloaded... But my guess is you'll get .179 really soon

You're kidding right? You mean there's no way to skip a known bad release?

Does the car download the update ASAP and then just hang onto it until the owner OKs the update? I assumed that the hour-plus that it took to do the update was mostly downloading time. Not so? Does it really take that long just to *install* the release?

Last edited:
From what I've read, once the car gets an update pushed, it will install that first before installing any subsequent updates. You got .167 pushed to your car on Feb 23 (this means the car had already downloaded the update) so until you install that, it won't install the next version. Tesla should probably enhance their firmware push process so that it can negate a previously downloaded release, especially in cases where said release could cause problems with the car.

That said, aren't you being a little dramatic that your car is "MUCH WORSE"? You'll have to live without Range Mode for a day or so. Really that bad?

Yeah, I guess I might be a little more upset than I should be. But what if I had not been reading the forums? Then I would not know to avoid range mode and I might have a serious accident EVEN AFTER THE FIX IS IN THE FIELD. That's insane.

Yeah, I guess I might be a little more upset than I should be. But what if I had not been reading the forums? Then I would not know to avoid range mode and I might have a serious accident EVEN AFTER THE FIX IS IN THE FIELD. That's insane.

I agree there should at the minimum be a way to check the release version number before installing it.

It'd be even better if you could roll it back to the prior version.

You're kidding right? You mean there's no way to skip a known bad release?

Does the car download the update ASAP and then just hang onto it until the owner OKs the update? I assumed that the hour-plus that it took to do the update was mostly downloading time. Not so? Does it really take that long just to *install* the release?

The car definitely downloads the update entirely before notifying you of an update, confirmed via my WiFi traffic logs.

Aargh... Lost Park Assist shortly after upgrading to .179. Reboot of both screens hasn't helped.

Watching this from the sideline is mind-blowing, watching as a sharholder is terrifying!

If I had leased a P85D I would drop off the car tomorrow morning, between the firmware & seats fiasco I would have felt pushed over the edge.
Leasing now also comes with the Tesla happiness guarantee. If you don't like our car for any reason in the first three months, you can just return it and your remaining lease obligation is waived. The only catch is that you can't then immediately lease another Model S. Upgrading early is no problem if you want to do that, but there is a pass-through fee to cover the new vs used value difference.

First drive on P85D after .179 and I noticed shuddering at very low speed. Like foot on brake and crawling at 2-3mph. It felt as if the car behind me was bumping me ever so slightly, and It felt like it was coming from the rear motor. Anyone experience this?
I noticed, though did not feel, shuddering on brake pedal. Rather on freeway in stop'n'go traffic using tacc there were some strange noises from brake pedal, as if my foot just just clipping it and then moving off quickly. Didn't feel shuddering through the car though and haven't felt this through brake pedal when trying to repro manually.