Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2. in real life (after succesful install)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit disappointed that max speed in Valet Mode is not user adjustable, but I shouldn't complain: at least we now have a Valet Mode!

Specific question about it: I would like to know if while in that mode can Remote Access be turned off? I am hoping that the answer is "No".

There are complaints in the the Firmware 6.2 Sticky Thread (Firmware 6.2 - Page 7) that Remote Access can indeed be turned off when in Valet Mode and some posters feeling that when in Valet Mode, the entire settings page should be locked out. I posited that perhaps Tesla did not do this for their own valet process, but they could easily have managed that by allowing the service menus to shut down remote access even when in valet mode, thereby giving their own valet service a means of disabling remote access while preventing non-Tesla valets from doing so.

It would be great if they made this power reduction part of the driving modes you can choose from.

They could call it.... (to use P85D as an example) INSANE MODE --- STANDARD MODE --- DORK MODE.

Alternate options:
Eco mode
Slowpoke
Lame mode
Sane mode
Snore mode
Yawn mode
Granny mode
Turtle mode
Snail mode

There are complaints in the the Firmware 6.2 Sticky Thread (Firmware 6.2 - Page 7) that Remote Access can indeed be turned off when in Valet Mode and some posters feeling that when in Valet Mode, the entire settings page should be locked out. I posited that perhaps Tesla did not do this for their own valet process, but they could easily have managed that by allowing the service menus to shut down remote access even when in valet mode, thereby giving their own valet service a means of disabling remote access while preventing non-Tesla valets from doing so.

Remote Access Can Not Be Turned off while Valet Mode is active, refer to this post:

BTW everyone can finally chill about Valet mode being able to access settings: the REMOTE ACCESS function is not modifiable!

View attachment 76480

Glad I covered my a** by linking to the posts rather than saying it myself :biggrin:

In any event, I am glad this is locked out in Valet Mode.

With due respect, the links you posted did NOT confirm with certainty whether or not is was possible to disable remote access while in valet mode - it read like speculation to me (a photo evidence would have sufficed). That's how rumors get started ;-)

And that's why I attached a photo of said evidence in my post (that spentan linked here) to try squashing false rumors. Job done!

8. Valet/Nanny mode is fixed at 70mph, not adjustable. Acceleration is noticeably capped at less than 50%. This brings up an interesting thought...could that be beneficial as an "ECO" mode??

You would compromise your safety if you cap acceleration or top speed on a highway.

Imagine starting to overtake a 18 wheeler on a single lane road, only to realize halfway through that you forgot valet mode on and can't make the pass.

You would compromise your safety if you cap acceleration or top speed on a highway.

Imagine starting to overtake a 18 wheeler on a single lane road, only to realize halfway through that you forgot valet mode on and can't make the pass.

It would be possible to program around that easily enough. Just provide a non-linear response to the accelerator setting and limit the top end to maybe 180kw - which is still quite a bit. That wouldn't be valet mode, but could certainly be part of an eco mode.

There are a lot of threads about firmware 6.2.
Since most of the info these days will be ("It is downloading", "I have it", will try tomorrow).

I suggest we dedicate this thread for owner describing the changes they have actually experienced.
Not about status of download.

My experiences after playing with it last night, including plugging in the same destination for my out-of-state road trip I did last weekend (prior to receiving the firmware).

1) Trip planning seems to favor charging longer at superchargers and skipping superchargers, vs. stopping at every supercharger for shorter durations. At first that seems like it would take more time since charging slows down as the battery fills up, but once you take into account traffic off the interstate at each supercharger, it's most likely a wash.

2) There's a new "charge" icon on the map in the upper right corner that displays nearby charging locations, including HPWC's.

3) Blind spot warning is very subtle. Just a white semi-circular arc shows up the lower portion of either side of the round center "gauge" when a car is in the blind spot. It took me a while to notice it. But now that I know where it is, it's easy to check.

4) TACC is supposed to be improved, but I didn't notice anything drastically different on my commute to work today.

on the cruise control/TACC stalk, there ~was~an orange LED. when you drive straight, you cannot see the state of that light, and it is brighter than it needs to be. the only time you see it is if you are turning the steering wheel. It distracts you since you are not used to seeing it....5 year old mode off

If that light is indeed gone, that is GREAT news! One of the most annoying things about the whole car is the cruise control logic - and that light was just the icing on that bad cake.

Without the light I may actually be able to use the cruise at times. :)

You mean like when you have a Tesla loaner? My wife and I both got caught in similar scenarios :(

In any case, they could have an override if you floored it or double tapped or something.

3) Blind spot warning is very subtle. Just a white semi-circular arc shows up the lower portion of either side of the round center "gauge" when a car is in the blind spot. It took me a while to notice it. But now that I know where it is, it's easy to check.

4) TACC is supposed to be improved, but I didn't notice anything drastically different on my commute to work today.

After the first two drives, I wish that the blind spot indicator was a bit more prominent but maybe once I'm used to it I'll like it this way. I'm trying to reserve judgment.

I find the TACC improvements pretty dramatic, especially when you use it in non-interstate conditions. Situations where you notice the difference particularly are when you are closing on a car ahead of you that is travelling 10-20mph under your set speed maybe 20 car lengths ahead or when a car takes off in front of you in stop and go traffic. In the first case, it used to accellerate up to the set speed or as close as it could manage and then very abruptly brake to the speed of the car in front. It now speeds up much less and brakes much more gradually. In the second case, it used to allow the car to get several car lengths ahead of you and then accellerate to a speed faster than theirs and then slow down as the gap narrowed. In stop and go traffic, I think the difference is dramatic and greatly improved.

If that light is indeed gone, that is GREAT news! One of the most annoying things about the whole car is the cruise control logic - and that light was just the icing on that bad cake.

Without the light I may actually be able to use the cruise at times. :)

The light is indeed gone. I especially love that they changed this. It was a very minor annoyance, but I'm impressed that they responded and changed this. It shows good attention to detail. It always bugged me when the wheel would spin and I'd catch a glimpse of the stupid yellow light. I think if the stalk was somewhere I could see it all the time, I wouldn't mind the light, but having it hidden 90% of the time just made it dumb.