Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Navigation for non tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range assurance on a non-tech car? Well yes, the release notes say we have it. But distances to chargers without turn-by-turn navigation are as the crow flies. The car has no idea of your route to the Chargers. Until Elon converts our non-techs into aero cars, IMHO range assurance on non-techs is no assurance.

This has been discussed already. All of the cars will work this way. It will probably account for this by some margin of error. Meaning, as example, let's say as the crow flies you are now 50-miles from the nearest charger, and your car has only 70-miles of range, it might warn you then with a 20 mile buffer. Or it might be percentage based--- when "as the crow flies" you are now far enough away that you'd arrive with less than X-percent, then it warns you. And chances are good X-percent is something stupid-high like 20.

See my thread the other day about trip planner. It waned me to stop and charge my car at 22%, rather than drive home and arrive at home with 17% (there is a supercharger about 5% SOC range away from my house, en route). Strange stuff for sure, but Tesla wants to make sure you charge, and i'm certain they will have, even using crow-flying distances, play it safe. Their reputation is on the line!

Yes, notification showed up when I got below 20 rated miles on my way home yesterday. I was only 4-5 miles form my house so ... not super useful. No way to designate a "home location" in non-tech cars that I'm aware of, although the adaptive preconditioning beta is supposed to figure that out on it's own. I'm a little surprised that range assurance can't do the same thing based on where you do your charging on a regular basis even if it isn't specifically designated.

One of the previous firmware updates did give us non-tech owners the ability to store favorites, including "Home" and "Work", but really, Range Assurance should already list your home charger, along with all other visited chargers, shouldn't it? I haven't been low on range yet since getting 6.2, so I haven't been able to "test" it.

One of the previous firmware updates did give us non-tech owners the ability to store favorites, including "Home" and "Work", but really, Range Assurance should already list your home charger, along with all other visited chargers, shouldn't it? I haven't been low on range yet since getting 6.2, so I haven't been able to "test" it.
If I'm remembering correctly my home charger was listed, but my question was more "If Tesla knows that's my home charger, why is it even giving me the notification?" Seems like a pretty dumb algorithm so I'd rather just be able to turn it off if it's just going to give me dumb advice.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Wife's car got the update last night. Having the small icon for Valet (Profiles) makes me wonder if adding memory seating would really be that hard. Meaning, would be it just a software update, or is there actually a difference in hardware for memory seats (some module, different components in seats themselves, etc). Either way, we're happy to have the latest version even if the gains are minimal for her MS 60 w/o tech.

If I'm remembering correctly my home charger was listed, but my question was more "If Tesla knows that's my home charger, why is it even giving me the notification?" Seems like a pretty dumb algorithm so I'd rather just be able to turn it off if it's just going to give me dumb advice.

Even if it knows that's your home charger, it doesn't know whether you're heading home or not. Even if you're headed in that direction, it makes sense (in theory) to warn you in case you were about to drive to a destination beyond your home.

Even if it knows that's your home charger, it doesn't know whether you're heading home or not. Even if you're headed in that direction, it makes sense (in theory) to warn you in case you were about to drive to a destination beyond your home.
I mean, yes... but the usefulness of such a warning seems pretty limited to me. So limited in fact that I would love to be able to have the option of just turning it off all together.

Just a note to non-tech owners out there. I saw someone posted a few weeks ago that they were quoted 3k for upgrading their non-tech to NAV. I was in the SC last week and asked if this was accurate - and it looks like the price has been cut in half. I had a quote from last year for about 6k total - now that was $2700+tax and still included swapping out the MCU. With the advances in the NAV since I bought...this is temping at this price. I skipped the tech-package for $4250 when I bought my car - I probably would have paid $2k for NAV if it was an option - so its getting more reasonable at least :)

I received .253 a few days ago. I don't know why I even bother looking at updates anymore. Without the tech package, nothing they do affects my car to any extent.
Tesla should allow us to upgrade to NAV at a fair price to both parties.
Did you expect upgrades to significantly benefit you without the tech package, specifically without navigation? It seemed clear when I bought my car in 2013 that the greater processing power and navigation in the tech package would be a prerequisite for some potential upgrades. Fortunately that won't be an issue for buyers anymore now that most of what was the tech package is now standard. I never understood having a "tech package" optional on what was the techiest car.

Did you expect upgrades to significantly benefit you without the tech package, specifically without navigation? It seemed clear when I bought my car in 2013 that the greater processing power and navigation in the tech package would be a prerequisite for some potential upgrades.

At the time I ordered, I was under the impression that all the MCUs were identical, and navigation was purely software, so I assumed it would become available as an upgrade for a reasonable price (i.e. $500-1000) down the road. We all know what happens when you assume, of course, so that's nobody's fault but my own.

Fortunately that won't be an issue for buyers anymore now that most of what was the tech package is now standard. I never understood having a "tech package" optional on what was the techiest car.

Agreed. I felt like the "Tech Package" was just a way to keep the published base price down, but still get those features into most cars by making the package enticing enough to convince the vast majority of buyers. And it seems that since most of those features have become standard over time (except foglights, convenience lighting, and the power liftgate, which are all now part of the more modestly priced* "Premium Interior" option), so I feel a bit justified in that.

Back then I did an analysis of what I would be willing to pay for each option individually, and it came up to just under half of the $3750 price tag, so I opted against it. Had I known then that trip planning functionality (beyond what my phone is capable of) was going to come along, I might not have made the same decision, but such is life when dealing with technology. Sometimes it improves faster than you expect. My next Tesla will have Navigation (mostly because it's now standard), but it may still be a while before I'm enticed to upgrade.

*Mortician: "It is our most modestly priced receptacle."
Walter: "Is there a Ralph's around here?"

I have a 13 without Tech package. Tesla replaced the SD card in the MCU and was baffled that it wouldn't taker the Nav update, they said the MCU would have to be replaced, cost for that $1,800.

At which point you should just go for the $2,500 "infotainment upgrade" that would get you a newer faster MCU with more features. (With the downfall of losing AM/FM/XM radio.)