Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 poll to say when you got it

On which model have you received the 6.2 firmware update?

• Classic Model S

Votes: 98 37.7%
  • Auto-pilot model S

Votes: 57 21.9%
  • Dual-drive (non perf)

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • P85D

Votes: 84 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The release notes for .197 look pretty similar at first glance, but under Additional Improvements at the bottom, it now says "Model S will now display charge time remaining when you are Supercharging or CHAdeMO charging". I don't recall that being there before, just the line about the instrument panel screen coming out of Energy Save mode more quickly.

I didn't. It looks minor. JakeP (above) may have identified the change.

I'm almost certain the "charge time remaining" language is in .188 as well. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow and come back and edit this post either way.

Edit: I checked, and this language IS in the .188 release notes.

Last edited:
Interesting... after a very clear PUSH to get .188 to people (more than 150 reports for the 307 cars in the tracker), .197 is out and seems to just get a tiny seed. And it goes to all kinds of cars. With only 5 reports we see a 2012 S85, a couple of P85, an 85D and a P85D. So it's not fixing a pressing bug (or there would be a much stronger push) but instead they might be testing some tweak across the different types of cars out there.
If you have received updates the last few days that aren't in the tracker, please post them... I'm very curious if they continue to push .188 to the second half of the people reporting or if we'll have a lull until .197 (or something newer) is pushed.

Interesting... after a very clear PUSH to get .188 to people (more than 150 reports for the 307 cars in the tracker), .197 is out and seems to just get a tiny seed. And it goes to all kinds of cars. With only 5 reports we see a 2012 S85, a couple of P85, an 85D and a P85D. So it's not fixing a pressing bug (or there would be a much stronger push) but instead they might be testing some tweak across the different types of cars out there.
If you have received updates the last few days that aren't in the tracker, please post them... I'm very curious if they continue to push .188 to the second half of the people reporting or if we'll have a lull until .197 (or something newer) is pushed.

I'm not sure how to easily see this in the tracker, or if it is even possible to see it easily, but my recollection from reading the posts of those saying they received .197 is that most or all of them were getting it while the car was being serviced. I don't recall reading of anyone receiving .197 as an OTA update.

Am I wrong about that?

I'm not sure how to easily see this in the tracker, or if it is even possible to see it easily, but my recollection from reading the posts of those saying they received .197 is that most or all of them were getting it while the car was being serviced. I don't recall reading of anyone receiving .197 as an OTA update.

Am I wrong about that?
Yes you are. We have one report of receiving it over 3G which implies OTA and not SC (the others indeed say Ranger or SC or are inconclusive)

Yes you are. We have one report of receiving it over 3G which implies OTA and not SC (the others indeed say Ranger or SC or are inconclusive)

OK, so the tracker shows that one person entered data indicating that he or she received the update via 3G. That may or may not be a data entry issue. I was suggesting that no one had posted to say they received it via OTA--that my recollection was that all those saying "I have .197" in various threads said they had received it while getting their cars serviced.

So I'm still not sure I'm wrong about that. I may be, and I may just not be remembering someone who posted that they received .197 via OTA. And of course the person who entered the data in the tracker that way definitely could have received .197 via 3G. I was just making the point, which I think is still valid, that all or almost all of the people who wrote about about getting .197 said they received it while their cars were being serviced.

Hey, weren't you the one suggesting that we use the tracker to avoid the "i got it" posts...?

I was the one who came up with the idea you liked for aligning incentives so that they match what the forum members as a whole seem to want, which is fewer "I got it posts." I certainly can't take credit for suggesting that idea. :)

The point of my last post was that I wasn't "wrong" when I said that none of the people who had written that they had it had said they had received it OTA. That wasn't a suggestion that more people should report that way. After the first couple of people report receiving a new version, I agree the tracker is the way to go.

And as to that one report of .197 coming via 3G in the tracker, I looked at it a little more. It appears to be the first report from that user, right? I think you have to strongly consider user-error, as opposed to that person being the one and only person to receive the update OTA (and report it.)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a theory on .188 and .197.

Let's assume that the one report of .197 coming OTA is user error. All but one of the reports on .188 indicated that they came OTA. The one that was at a service center had a note about "Software Update Needed." Let's assume that the SC may have actually performed the update OTA.

My theory is that .197 is the SC version of .188.

Basically Tesla started pushing .188 OTA, and by the time they were ready to give a "current" version to the SCs to install, they were already up to .197.

So the SCs are installing .197 when anyone comes in, but it was given to them at roughly the same time as .188 was pushed out OTA, and the versions are essentially the same. If I'm right, we'll probably never see .197 pushed out OTA. Instead we'll see some newer version replace both .188 and .197 at the same time.

So a quick look at the tracker suggests neither .197 or .213 were wide releases. Based on the recent 6.2 update cadence (small-small-wide), I'll guess that the next build will be to a wide distribution of vehicles starting on or around May 19th.

Finally got an update notification about an hour ago (been on .188 for almost a month now). Will report back and update the tracker once the upgrade is complete.
Thanks. It seems like a bunch of people are getting .236 now. 10 reports in the tracker so far - all on "D"s (9 P85D, 1 85D). Too early to tell if this is yet another small seed or a large push - but timing since the last larger push makes me think it's about time...
it's been very quiet for more than two weeks!

Thanks. It seems like a bunch of people are getting .236 now. 9 reports in the tracker so far - all on "D"s. Too early to tell if this is yet another small seed or a large push - but timing since the last larger push makes me think it's about time...
it's been very quiet for more than two weeks!

Confirmed .236 on my P85D. Just updated the tracker. Looks like my car is the only one so far to get 6 different versions of 6.2... anyway, looking forward to testing the blind spot and TACC improvements tomorrow.

Confirmed .236 on my P85D. Just updated the tracker. Looks like my car is the only one so far to get 6 different versions of 6.2... anyway, looking forward to testing the blind spot and TACC improvements tomorrow.
Hehe, I updated my post just as you quoted it :)
And yes, you appear to be the only one so far with 6 different versions. Tesla likes you... - but my guess is that Spentan will be the second one with 6 versions, soon - he appears to still be on .197 (which you never got).
I love the tracker. So much cool stuff to be found in there :)
We now have data from 323 cars in there. Please keep it coming!

For people using the Firmware Tracker and you've forgotten your PIN, I've now added a feature where you can select your Forum handle on the login page, and check the box for forgotten PIN, and the page will automatically send you a PM on TMC with your PIN.

You no longer have to send me a PM to retrieve your PIN.