Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 - Trip Planner (Beta) Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
Firmware Version .236

I just finished a 2,775 mile round trip from New Orleans to Northern New Jersey and I have to say that while the concept of Trip Planner is great the current implementation is Beta at best (maybe more like Alpha). Here's my experience.

I started off at home (New Orleans Metro). There is only one, direct, mostly supercharged route. I-10 East to Mobile, AL; I-65 North to Montgomery, AL; I-85 North to I-95; I-95 North to destination (North New Jersey).

I programmed in my destination in N Jersey and it routes through superchargers going west to Baton Rouge, on to Texas, north to Nebraska then east to New Jersey. Okay, I think I can maybe accept that because the more direct route has a gap in Superchargers between Atlanta and Charlotte of 245 miles and it probably assumes there isn't enough cushion to make that.

So, I program in Atlanta, GA since that's where I plan to make my first stop. It still calculates the same route west, north, east then south (some 2,000+ miles to get to Atlanta 500 miles away from me). Now I'm having trouble accepting this since I'm 90% charged (225 miles rated range) and Mobile, AL is 144 miles away from me along the direct east route. Beyond Mobile is Greenville, Auburn, Atlanta all spaced normally for supercharger usage.

So, I program in Mobile, AL supercharger as my destination (144 miles away). It still routes west, north, east then south some 2,400+ miles for me to get to Mobile which is 144 miles away on I-10. Trip Planner FAIL

I go ahead and depart for Mobile, AL on I-10. It takes until I'm halfway across Mississippi before the NAV finally decides that direct would be better and reroutes me the correct way. After that it mapped out the correct stops/times to each supercharger along the sane route.

Next issue: Each time I arrived at its designated supercharger, charged up until it said I had enough to continue on to the next one and then I usually continued charging to add another 10 or 15 miles on top of that before departing. This usually gave me 40 - 50 miles more rated range than the actual distance to the next charging stop. I would then depart for my next supercharger stop (as instructed by NAV) and everything would seem normal. Here's where the next rub comes in - many times it would let me get 10 or 15 miles into my journey toward the next supercharger and then all of a sudden reroute and decide I needed to go BACK where I had just charged and charge again. Sometimes it would even say I needed to go BACK to the charger I just left and I needed 0 minutes charge time. All the while I had at least 40 miles excess range to reach the next charger. I obviously would just keep going and eventually I would get far enough away from the past charger that it would reroute again to the proper next charge stop. Trip Planner FAIL

Having said all that, when it is working correctly it's a nice addition to the NAV.

Is everybody (anybody?) else see these same things?

Mike

Last edited:
Most interesting. 2 weeks ago when I went to Custer SD the trip planner worked flawlessly to the destination and return. Now this could be because there are no alternatives to staying on Interstate 90. Haven't plotted anything on release .236 but will experiment and see if it behaves as wild as you describe.

Next issue: Each time I arrived at its designated supercharger, charged up until it said I had enough to continue on to the next one and then I usually continued charging to add another 10 or 15 miles on top of that before departing. This usually gave me 40 - 50 miles more rated range than the actual distance to the next charging stop. I would then depart for my next supercharger stop (as instructed by NAV) and everything would seem normal. Here's where the next rub comes in - many times it would let me get 10 or 15 miles into my journey toward the next supercharger and then all of a sudden reroute and decide I needed to go BACK where I had just charged and charge again. Sometimes it would even say I needed to go BACK to the charger I just left and I needed 0 minutes charge time. All the while I had at least 40 miles excess range to reach the next charger. I obviously would just keep going and eventually I would get far enough away from the past charger that it would reroute again to the proper next charge stop. Trip Planner FAIL.

Mike

Yes, I ran into this quite a bit today as I was going from one SpC to a spot just beyond another. The Nav system really never quite realized that I was going to do it my way. Never recalculated. I did confirm with the phone.

A minor irritation, but I don't think I'm gonna get rid of the car...

Mike

I've read reports from many people reporting very similar, ridiculous behavior. (See this thread, for example: Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL). You are not alone.

If you are so inclined, please take a couple of minutes and edit what you posted into an email that you can send to Tesla, reporting this. The more examples of these "FAILS" that they get, the sooner they are likely to give us something that really works.

Thanks!

I've read reports from many people reporting very similar, ridiculous behavior. (See this thread, for example: Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL). You are not alone.

If you are so inclined, please take a couple of minutes and edit what you posted into an email that you can send to Tesla, reporting this. The more examples of these "FAILS" that they get, the sooner they are likely to give us something that really works.

Thanks!

Good idea - refresh my memory, what is the best email address to send bug reports to Tesla?

Mike

Mods - feel free to merge this thread with that one. I thought I had seen one on reporting issues about Trip Planner...

I like the idea of a separate thread just to make reports of Trip Planner FAILs so that doesn't get lost in the General Firmware thread.

Last edited: