Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again, for people who don't deem to get this: collision avoidance and emergency braking are different algorithms. The latter only fires if the car is sure you are about to have an unavoidable collision. It isn't to avoid a collision, it is to minimize the impact. Collision avoidance is designed to get your damn attention so you can take action and therefore is on a much more hair trigger. Lots of cars have had emergency braking for years. This isn't some fly by night feature.

The key is that you end up in a tradeoff between the false positive and false negative rates. Obviously you want accuracy to be as good as possible, but there are limits. At the limit, you can then adjust sensitivity to favor one side or the other.

For the warning, false positives (warning fires when you're not actually going to crash) are pretty benign. If there are too many then you can train the driver to ignore the warning, which you don't want. There's also the potential to distract the driver at an inopportune moment. But for the most part, false positives don't hurt much. False negatives (warning fails to appear when you're really going to crash) are potentially much worse. Thus it's sensible to tune the system to greatly favor false positives over false negatives, since occasional spurious warnings don't do much harm.

For automatic braking, false positives could be much worse. Unnecessary automatic braking could easily cause a crash when none was going to happen otherwise. Of course, false negatives are still bad, but the system would be tuned to be much more careful about when it triggers than the warning system.

That's what engineering and testing is for. If you are worried about this, let me tell you about the dozens of other decisions the car (and airplanes and trains and medical devices) is making for you every day. If Tesla screws this up, then it's certainly on them for not doing proper safety critical development and they will surely pay. But if you assume they can't get this right, then I don't know why you'd trust the rest of the car with your life either.

Once again, for people who don't deem to get this: collision avoidance and emergency braking are different algorithms. The latter only fires if the car is sure you are about to have an unavoidable collision. It isn't to avoid a collision, it is to minimize the impact. Collision avoidance is designed to get your damn attention so you can take action and therefore is on a much more hair trigger. Lots of cars have had emergency braking for years. This isn't some fly by night feature.

I was about to post something similar, but Stoneymonster beat me to it. What I would add, though, is that since this is a completely different system, in my opinion people should reserve judgment until it actually does something they (or even someone here) doesn't like. But I don't think we should be criticizing a system that we haven't yet seen do anything wrong.

I was hoping Valet Mode would lock out the ability to disable Remote Access. That't the first thing a Valet would turn off if they decide to go for a joyride :cursing:

It doesn't? That seems like a pretty daft omission! Although, in general, turning off remote access is essentially grounds for complaint anyway and if the valet mode at least makes the Tesla drive like a smart car that might be good enough protection.

That's what engineering and testing is for. If you are worried about this, let me tell you about the dozens of other decisions the car (and airplanes and trains and medical devices) is making for you every day. If Tesla screws this up, then it's certainly on them for not doing proper safety critical development and they will surely pay. But if you assume they can't get this right, then I don't know why you'd trust the rest of the car with your life either.

Well, Teslas recent track record for sensor features is qyite bad. Collisuon avoidance warning for snow, blind spot and tacc ridicously speed limited, etc. Heck, even my pre-autopilot parking sensors go nuts sometimes.
Have never heard of a premium brand having this much problem with sensor features. Probably the reason people get worried...

V6.2 was made available to me sometime late last night. Updated fine and will be having a look at the notes when I have time a little later today. Think I was among the last to get the last Update so getting it early this time was a pleasant surprise. S85 Autopilot delivered mid Dec 2014.

Correct. Valet disclaims responsibility for damage or theft. You might win a claim if there is clear negligence.

Just because they disclaim it doesn't mean they can't be held responsible. Parking lots frequently say they are not responsible for items stolen out of a car, but in court they can and are frequently held responsible. They hope you read the disclaimer and decide not to sue. File a case and often they settle.

It doesn't? That seems like a pretty daft omission! Although, in general, turning off remote access is essentially grounds for complaint anyway and if the valet mode at least makes the Tesla drive like a smart car that might be good enough protection.

I agree it is an omission, but I suspect 50% of owners don't even know how to turn that off! (exaggeration) But my point is, that I suspect a joy riding car thief isn't likely to head to that feature unless they're really a pro. I would think that 99% or better the remote access won't be touched and we'll be able to track and set valet mode remotely without any problem.

I do hope that they'll allow for even slower speed (via a slider like the one used for air suspension) and disable the ability to disable remote access.

I agree it is an omission, but I suspect 50% of owners don't even know how to turn that off! (exaggeration) But my point is, that I suspect a joy riding car thief isn't likely to head to that feature unless they're really a pro. I would think that 99% or better the remote access won't be touched and we'll be able to track and set valet mode remotely without any problem.

I do hope that they'll allow for even slower speed (via a slider like the one used for air suspension) and disable the ability to disable remote access.

Probably not an exaggeration. Perhaps I'm blind, but I couldn't find it in the manual. How do you disable remote access?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427743969.128708.jpg

Settings->Safety & Security tab