Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not convinced on the A/C, but am more than happy to be wrong. I was on .249 prior to .251 yesterday morning. Over the past week, I had to turn up my A/C because I would get too cold at 65 eventually during my commute. Yesterday and today, I wasn't cold even at 64 and turned it to LO a couple times. This, however, doesn't say anything one way or the other as the temp has been in lower 90s yesterday and today rather than the upper 90s the week before that.

I am not convinced on the A/C, but am more than happy to be wrong. I was on .249 prior to .251 yesterday morning. Over the past week, I had to turn up my A/C because I would get too cold at 65 eventually during my commute. Yesterday and today, I wasn't cold even at 64 and turned it to LO a couple times. This, however, doesn't say anything one way or the other as the temp has been in lower 90s yesterday and today rather than the upper 90s the week before that.

Funny you mention this. I have had the exact same experience. I recently went to .250 and since then I've been turning it all the way to LO and I didn't used to before. It just feels like it's not blowing as much air unless I turn it down.

Funny you mention this. I have had the exact same experience. I recently went to .250 and since then I've been turning it all the way to LO and I didn't used to before. It just feels like it's not blowing as much air unless I turn it down.

I should probably mention as a data point that my older VIN has the steering column temperature sensor as opposed to the "round grill" sensor by the USB ports.

So that's how you would use the least energy from the battery to achieve the desired cooling?

That's why we have Range Mode. I'm not sure why there would need to be any focus on using the least amount of energy when you are trying to cool the car to the set temperature in the least amount of TIME. The time it takes to cool down the car is the most important consideration to a HUMAN who has to sit inside of an unbearably hot vehicle. Efficiency takes a back seat in that instance. And besides, it's only for a short period of time - maybe 5 minutes or so.

I still haven't been updated to .251, but in .250 the AC actually runs faster if the exterior temp is closer to my setpoint. So the hotter it is outside, the slower my AC runs. So in mornings, I can just keep temp set at 70 and be fine as it actually blows pretty strong, but when car has been in the sun during the day and I get in and the temp is even hotter internally, it actually runs the fan much slower. No idea why, just know that I reported it to service center who duplicated the issue and passed it upstream to corporate who is aware and promised to fix in upcoming update.

I still haven't been updated to .251, but in .250 the AC actually runs faster if the exterior temp is closer to my setpoint. So the hotter it is outside, the slower my AC runs. So in mornings, I can just keep temp set at 70 and be fine as it actually blows pretty strong, but when car has been in the sun during the day and I get in and the temp is even hotter internally, it actually runs the fan much slower. No idea why, just know that I reported it to service center who duplicated the issue and passed it upstream to corporate who is aware and promised to fix in upcoming update.

Somebody mixed up a + or a - perhaps! :)

Somebody mixed up a + or a - perhaps! :)

Actually thinking about it, I believe it has to do with the car temperature itself and not exterior temp. If the car has been in the garage where it is not quite as hot, then the AC works fine, but when the car itself it extremely hot then maybe the AC slows the fan so that the air coming out of the vents is even colder to compensate. But blowing a little bit of very cold air doesn't cool the car fast enough and would rather have a lot of just slightly cooler air.

Actually thinking about it, I believe it has to do with the car temperature itself and not exterior temp. If the car has been in the garage where it is not quite as hot, then the AC works fine, but when the car itself it extremely hot then maybe the AC slows the fan so that the air coming out of the vents is even colder to compensate. But blowing a little bit of very cold air doesn't cool the car fast enough and would rather have a lot of just slightly cooler air.
That makes sense. My hypothesis has been that it starts slow to clear the hot air from the vents without blasting it in your face, then speeds up when the vent air is cooler than the cabin air.

At least it works all of the time and in all situations. Can't say that for TACC! lol

You criticize the TACC a lot, but actually mine has worked really well. It certainly could do a better job at allowing more fluctuation in following distance for a smoother drive--and it certainly ought to slow earlier so that stops aren't quite as abrupt, but actually my TACC has been pretty rock solid in recent software revisions. The only time it goes off is in heavy rain, and that's not a situation in which having cruise control on is a good idea anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes sense. My hypothesis has been that it starts slow to clear the hot air from the vents without blasting it in your face, then speeds up when the vent air is cooler than the cabin air.

That's always been my interpretation as well...start slow until the air coming out is actually cool, then start cranking it up.

Although clearly in .239 (which I'm still on) it still is more anemic (on the software side) than it should be.

You criticize the TACC a lot, but actually mine has worked really well. It certainly could do a better job at allowing more fluctuation in following distance for a smoother drive--and it certainly ought to slow earlier so that stops aren't quite as abrupt, but actually my TACC has been pretty rock solid in recent software revisions. The only time it goes off is in heavy rain, and that's not a situation in which having cruise control on is a good idea anyway.

Actually this is only the 2nd time I've said anything negative about TACC, and this last time it was more of a joke.

My 4Runner works this way, but it goes from just a slight blow to full blast within 2-3 minutes. Then it full blasts for about 5 and starts to tamp down. Works very well.

Of course every time my car goes into service, it gets an update. I was on 6.2-.253 when I dropped it off this morning and my loaner has .253, and I just got the notification that there is an update pending. Sadly, I won't get my car back this week, so I'll just have to watch here for insights into whether we have another 6.2 release or people start going crazy over 6.3.

Is it just me, or has part of the music problem been fixed with .253?
Now when I pause slacker, when I come back, it is where I left it. It no longer plays 3 or 4 songs and has skipped to something else since I paused it.
Anyone else notice this?
The part of playing the radio when opening the door is still there. But, if I have paused slacker, leave the car for a few hours, and come back, no music is heard when I open the door or start driving. I have to unpause slacker. Glad they got this fixed.