Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frustrated here....I'm still on .238...... Why am I left behind ?
It's not unusual to be a few minor builds behind. There isn't really any reason to be frustrated unless there are new features you want or bugs you're experiencing that are fixed. I'm still on 6.1 and I see no evidence that anyone else is stuck on 6.1. My car was in for annual service earlier this month and they didn't update it. I'm not mad about it since the new features don't really apply to me, but I did expect the update to be part of standard service procedures. Upon their insistence, it's going back to service in a couple weeks for a different issue they didn't fully fix and this time I made sure they knew the firmware needs updated.

Is it just me, or has part of the music problem been fixed with .253?
Now when I pause slacker, when I come back, it is where I left it. It no longer plays 3 or 4 songs and has skipped to something else since I paused it.
Anyone else notice this?
The part of playing the radio when opening the door is still there. But, if I have paused slacker, leave the car for a few hours, and come back, no music is heard when I open the door or start driving. I have to unpause slacker. Glad they got this fixed.

anyone else with .253 have a data point?

Is it just me, or has part of the music problem been fixed with .253?
Now when I pause slacker, when I come back, it is where I left it. It no longer plays 3 or 4 songs and has skipped to something else since I paused it.
Anyone else notice this?

I don't think I ever had this problem, or if I did, I just didn't notice. I thought my music always stayed paused. I typically pause it when I park in the garage overnight and always have had to hit Play in the morning when I'm on my way.

Of course every time my car goes into service, it gets an update. I was on 6.2-.253 when I dropped it off this morning and my loaner has .253, and I just got the notification that there is an update pending. Sadly, I won't get my car back this week, so I'll just have to watch here for insights into whether we have another 6.2 release or people start going crazy over 6.3.

I got .253 at the service center yesterday so I'm guessing the update you got is just a reinstall of .253. My understanding is that Tesla reinstalls the software for some work regardless of if it's the same version as what you have and that would trigger the update notification.

anyone else with .253 have a data point?

I'm with mknox. I haven't noticed the issue mentioned so I can't say if it's fixed or not.

It's not unusual to be a few minor builds behind. There isn't really any reason to be frustrated unless there are new features you want or bugs you're experiencing that are fixed. I'm still on 6.1 and I see no evidence that anyone else is stuck on 6.1. My car was in for annual service earlier this month and they didn't update it. I'm not mad about it since the new features don't really apply to me, but I did expect the update to be part of standard service procedures. Upon their insistence, it's going back to service in a couple weeks for a different issue they didn't fully fix and this time I made sure they knew the firmware needs updated.
I agree it's not unusual to be a few minor builds behind, but it's very unusual that you are still on 6.1 and even more unusual that the you're still on 6.1 even after your annual service visit this month. Flashing to the latest firmware is routine at the annual service and usually happens whenever the car is in for any type of service. You should definitely ask your service center about this.

Here is the thread that talked about the issue I mentioned http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/49168-OMG-I-feel-embarrassed-with-my-Tesla

(Slacker started playing as soon as a door was opened)

Yeah, I do recall reading about that, but just never noticed having the issue myself. It could be for any number of reasons. For example, I notice that if I'm playing Slacker from a Playlist I've made up, it will play through the songs and then just stop at the last song... even when I'm driving. Maybe through some fluke of timing, I'm at or near the end of a Playlist when I park my car. I dunno, but it could be one theory.

Yeah, updating the firmware is supposed to be on their standard checklist.

Don't count on it, at least 3 times my car has been returned without firmware being updated even though service order states that it was, I recently brought this up with my SA & he said some things on the service order are "boiler plate".

Visible Tesla shows your cars firmware version so when my service order was emailed to prior to pick up I was confident they had not updated again, so when I got there I had my SA check his computer & it showed my last update was a month ago so I then I had my SA call the technician & he confirmed they had a newer version available, we walk out to my car to double check the version or see if they had preloaded it but not installed & sure enough still my old firmware.

Don't count on it, at least 3 times my car has been returned without firmware being updated even though service order states that it was, I recently brought this up with my SA & he said some things on the service order are "boiler plate".

Visible Tesla shows your cars firmware version so when my service order was emailed to prior to pick up I was confident they had not updated again, so when I got there I had my SA check his computer & it showed my last update was a month ago so I then I had my SA call the technician & he confirmed they had a newer version available, we walk out to my car to double check the version or see if they had preloaded it but not installed & sure enough still my old firmware.

I would raise this issue with the service manager, not the service advisor. It looks like someone is skipping steps and not following proper procedure. Things won't improve if we don't become part of the process.

It doesn't apply to this situation but for the benefit of new owners I'll add that when the service centers flash the firmware it's often not installed due to time constraints-- it's sitting there like an OTA download with a new firmware available message and you will have to set a time for installation. Best to let it install overnight.

I agree it's not unusual to be a few minor builds behind, but it's very unusual that you are still on 6.1 and even more unusual that the you're still on 6.1 even after your annual service visit this month. Flashing to the latest firmware is routine at the annual service and usually happens whenever the car is in for any type of service. You should definitely ask your service center about this.
I didn't say it directly, but yeah, I was implying that my case is unusual. Maybe it's because I didn't post about not having 6.2 yet while it was still rolling out. :wink:
To make light of the situation, if anyone wants to know anything about 6.1 for comparison or whatever, this is your final chance.

And yes, in the call to schedule the second service, I did mention that it wasn't updated at the annual and I wanted them to update it this time. The limited evidence I have suggests that they have too many cars to service (roughly 1/3 of each Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, and maybe half of Michigan) and not enough techs (a ranger said Cleveland is understaffed). My car spent only ~5 hours at the service center, which is really quick for the full annual plus some issues I brought up, leaving pretty much no time for a firmware update that could take 2 hours. I was amazed by the 48 hour turnaround from pickup to drop off, but the rather unsatisfactory results was a big downer.

Lately my service center has been staging the update on the car for me to install later (I get the car back with the yellow alarm clock).... which is fine by me.

And I agree this is fine. I just think this goes to Tesla's transparency in communications. The service paperwork should say that version XYZ was installed, but should say that version XYZ was staged for install at user's/customer's convenience.

Ah, I must be behind the times. I'm still thinking of the posts people made about the update being installed at the service center, in some cases seeing the new version appear on VT while still at service. Staging like OTA for the owner to install makes much more sense.

To add weight to this. That is precisely how my car came back from service yesterday .253 ready to be installed but not installed. Given that it basically takes about a month to get an appointment for something non-critical at the Seattle Service Center, I'm pretty sure they're just as busy as your service center.