Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This used to be true, but not anymore. If you set the cruise to 48mph for instance, then tap the "all up" position, it will go to 50mph, then 55mph. Didn't used to--but does now.

Odd, I'm on 6.2-2.4.213 and I was in the car yesterday on the freeway and did not notice this behavior for cruise control. I'm pretty sure actually that it still does the +/- 5mph thing, and not increment to the nearest 5mph. I'll go out tonight and try this behavior specifically and report back.

I verified this on my way home today. With TACC set to 43 mph, one full upward deflection changed the set speed to 45mph. Doing it again changed it to 50mph.

I am on the .188 flavor of 6.2. I for one prefer this behavior. (I think most people tend to go 5 mph over the limit, though I have no evidence to back this up--just based on how fast people around me tend to travel).

Looks like there must be a difference for TACC vs. pre-TACC. My "classic" 2013 Model S running .213 still works the way it always has - it goes +/- 5 mph relative to the speed you started - no stopping at even 5 mph increments.

Before the 6.2 update, I thought you couldn't change driver profiles (from one person to another) unless you were in park. I remember having to put the car in park to switch the driver profiles so my brother could see what changes.
Now, on 2.183 , a driver was able to change the driver profile from one user to another while going 50 km. Is that a bug? I would think it unsafe.

Before the 6.2 update, I thought you couldn't change driver profiles (from one person to another) unless you were in park. I remember having to put the car in park to switch the driver profiles so my brother could see what changes.
Now, on 2.183 , a driver was able to change the driver profile from one user to another while going 50 km. Is that a bug? I would think it unsafe.

I've always been able to change at any time.

Odd, I'm on 6.2-2.4.213 and I was in the car yesterday on the freeway and did not notice this behavior for cruise control. I'm pretty sure actually that it still does the +/- 5mph thing, and not increment to the nearest 5mph. I'll go out tonight and try this behavior specifically and report back.

Looks like there must be a difference for TACC vs. pre-TACC. My "classic" 2013 Model S running .213 still works the way it always has - it goes +/- 5 mph relative to the speed you started - no stopping at even 5 mph increments.

Agreed. I tested this on my classic P85+ on firmware 6.2-1.4.213, and it does NOT work the way the manual says.

IMG_0424.JPG

The cruise control on my car operates the way it always has -- adds or subtracts 5mph from the current cruise control setting. It does not increment or decrement to the nearest 5mph, as the manual specifies it should. I submitted a bug report.

The cruise control on my car operates the way it always has -- adds or subtracts 5mph from the current cruise control setting. It does not increment or decrement to the nearest 5mph, as the manual specifies it should. I submitted a bug report.

Geeze, I sure hope they keep this this way for older cars... the "stop at a 5mph increment" is so messed up to me. I want the controls to do specific and predictable things. If I do a "full up" I want to know that's going to add exactly 5mph to my current speed, not 1,2,3 or 4 mph depending upon my current speed to the next 5mph increment, and then +5 more from there. What a misguided idea this is. IMHO.

Geeze, I sure hope they keep this this way for older cars... the "stop at a 5mph increment" is so messed up to me. I want the controls to do specific and predictable things. If I do a "full up" I want to know that's going to add exactly 5mph to my current speed, not 1,2,3 or 4 mph depending upon my current speed to the next 5mph increment, and then +5 more from there. What a misguided idea this is. IMHO.

My car currently doesn't do full 5 MPH increments. I can be at 35, hit full up twice, get to 45 or 46, then hit full down twice and end up anywhere between 34-36. I just "live with it". At least I have a digital display to tell me vs. analog ones that "looked" like they went specific increments, but who knows if they actually did or were off 1 mph.

Yeah, I'm unexcited about the change also, and will probably send in a complaint when it arrives on my car. It's clear from reading this thread that some people like it. Tesla should just make it user-selectable.

I verified this on my way home today. With TACC set to 43 mph, one full upward deflection changed the set speed to 45mph. Doing it again changed it to 50mph.

I am on the .188 flavor of 6.2. I for one prefer this behavior. (I think most people tend to go 5 mph over the limit, though I have no evidence to back this up--just based on how fast people around me tend to travel).
Just for completeness:
[1] What speed did TACC think was the local speed limit?
[2] What is your offset for TACC relative to speed limit (in the settings)?

- - - Updated - - -

Agree.

I was on an SJ to LA and back trip last weekend. In my early P85, CC goes up or down I 5mph increments only when full pushed. It doesn't stop at multiples of 5 on full push. I'm on .188. My biggest issue always has been that often it thinks I pushed it short once and then full once whenever I try to do a single full push. I end up with a 6mph change... Maybe I'm doing it pretty slow, but I've tried playing with it and that doesn't seem to matter.

I was on an SJ to LA and back trip last weekend. In my early P85, CC goes up or down I 5mph increments only when full pushed. It doesn't stop at multiples of 5 on full push. I'm on .188. My biggest issue always has been that often it thinks I pushed it short once and then full once whenever I try to do a single full push. I end up with a 6mph change... Maybe I'm doing it pretty slow, but I've tried playing with it and that doesn't seem to matter.

I've noticed the same behavior. Occasionally, I get a 6mph change. I thought it may be because of tolerance stack, where the actual speed ± the 5.0 ended up with a ± 6 change.

On reflection I think there could be some "switch debounce" issues with the stalks, or software process synchronization issues, or some such. I sometimes get 4 blinker flashes for the lane change "tap", when it should be 3. I've tried figuring out a sequence where that behavior is repeatable, but I have not found it. Maybe the ±1 then ±5 on the cruise control is further evidence.