Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scratching my head here. Car was in for service today and it had 2.4.188 when it went in. Got a notification on my phone that a software update was available. Ok, fine, to be expected. Got the car back tonight and it still has .188! Odd, no? Did they stop pushing the 200 builds?

Is the update still pending? I've seen SCs stage it but not install it if they run out of time.

First of all, why? Take the most recently discussed issues concerning the traction control, for example. What difference does it make what version the posters came from? They are talking about an issue that now exists in .236. Similarly if someone says that the "improved" blind spot detection that .236 advertises in the release notes is actually worse than it was in previous versions, it's really not all that relevant what version they came from.

Knowing the prior version is useful (for Tesla, in theory) to be able to pinpoint where the regression occurred. If you know that an issue was NOT present in a relatively recent release (say, .188), and is now present after updating to the current release (say, .236), then you can more definitively say ".236 broke this," or at least, "something between .188 and .236 caused this change in behavior." The smaller the increment between the previous known-good version and the bad version, the easier it is to narrow down the change that caused the issue.

Knowing the prior version is useful (for Tesla, in theory) to be able to pinpoint where the regression occurred. If you know that an issue was NOT present in a relatively recent release (say, .188), and is now present after updating to the current release (say, .236), then you can more definitively say ".236 broke this," or at least, "something between .188 and .236 caused this change in behavior." The smaller the increment between the previous known-good version and the bad version, the easier it is to narrow down the change that caused the issue.

The poster I was responding to wasn't talking about helping Tesla debug a new issue. He was saying that it was useless for our discussion purposes. This is what he wrote:

You know all these posts that say "release x caused something to change for me" are rather useless when you don't say what release you had before. Almost everybody does this.

This is a discussion forum that Tesla does not openly participate in. If they choose to read some threads and act on the information in them, that's great, but the poster, when calling the posts "rather useless" had to mean for the main audience of the post. The main audience is not Tesla.

Definitely not in these conditions before. There could be something up with TC in .236 - more testing needed for me to confirm either way.

I've had the TC activate on dry pavement in the past before ( dry pavement, light acceleration, TC kicked in). There was also another poster a few weeks back with the same symptom. My code rev at the time was .162 (I think). Saw it once, never seen it since.

Interesting. Had you ever had it go off before .236? In my case I definitely could have hit a car in front of me had I been following too closely.

How does traction control kicking in negatively impact braking? It sounds like you're saying that while traction control is active, you have no braking power. If that's true, it's something I had not been aware of.

How does traction control kicking in negatively impact braking? It sounds like you're saying that while traction control is active, you have no braking power. If that's true, it's something I had not been aware of.

You know when ABS kicks in over a bump (erroneously) and sometimes it feels like braking forces reduces out from under you you? Felt like that.

You know when ABS kicks in over a bump (erroneously) and sometimes it feels like braking forces reduces out from under you you? Felt like that.

I'm not sure I've ever experienced that either.

In retrospect, I guess I did experience something like one of those things once. I guess I should have reported it, but at the time I just figured that it was a one-off oddity.

I was driving reasonably slowly, having slowed with regen from perhaps 40 MPH to 10 MPH, as I was approaching an intersection with a red light and cars stopped in front of me. I'm not sure this matters, but the stopped cars were on a curve, and a slight downhill. As I applied the friction brake to attempt to come to a complete stop, it seemed the friction brake had little or no effect. I pressed it harder, and then may have, in a slight panic, completely taken my foot off of it and attempted to stomp it again, and it's possible that in so-doing I also grazed the go-pedal, because while the car did come to a stop, I also had the warning light about using the brake and the accelerator at the same time.

It was definitely a little scary.

Like the others that have mentioned something like this, it happened that one time, and never again. I will certainly report it to Tesla if it does happen again.

In retrospect, I guess I did experience something like one of those things once. I guess I should have reported it, but at the time I just figured that it was a one-off oddity.

I was driving reasonably slowly, having slowed with regen from perhaps 40 MPH to 10 MPH, as I was approaching an intersection with a red light and cars stopped in front of me. I'm not sure this matters, but the stopped cars were on a curve, and a slight downhill. As I applied the friction brake to attempt to come to a complete stop, it seemed the friction brake had little or no effect. I pressed it harder, and then may have, in a slight panic, completely taken my foot off of it and attempted to stomp it again, and it's possible that in so-doing I also grazed the go-pedal, because while the car did come to a stop, I also had the warning light about using the brake and the accelerator at the same time.

Like the others that have mentioned something like this, it happened that one time, and never again. I will certainly report it to Tesla if it does happen again.

Andy, Behavior very much like this has been widely reported, forget the thread, on older cars up to maybe late 2013. It is likely this is NOT a traction control, but a brake/accelerator issue. In early cars, especially after brake fluid got broken in, brake travel went well beyond the height of accelerator. This made/makes it EXTREMELY easy to catch a bit of accelerator while braking. If you brake while accelerating, the MS cuts acceleration and brakes. If you hit accelerator while braking, it does not. Both happen, and you get this really weird coasting sensation at a speed of a few MPH. Can't stop. Only solution is lift foot and rebrake. Newer cars (forget the date) have initial brake height further from go pedal, so brake travel stays above plane of accelerator. Thus solving most of the time. But what you reported here sounds as if you clipped go pedal while braking.

Andy, Behavior very much like this has been widely reported, forget the thread, on older cars up to maybe late 2013. It is likely this is NOT a traction control, but a brake/accelerator issue. In early cars, especially after brake fluid got broken in, brake travel went well beyond the height of accelerator. This made/makes it EXTREMELY easy to catch a bit of accelerator while braking. If you brake while accelerating, the MS cuts acceleration and brakes. If you hit accelerator while braking, it does not. Both happen, and you get this really weird coasting sensation at a speed of a few MPH. Can't stop. Only solution is lift foot and rebrake. Newer cars (forget the date) have initial brake height further from go pedal, so brake travel stays above plane of accelerator. Thus solving most of the time. But what you reported here sounds as if you clipped go pedal while braking.

Thanks for the detailed response.

It is entirely possible that I had clipped the go pedal on my initial attempt to brake, and not, as I had thought and written above, when I removed my foot from the brake and then hit the brake again. Based on what you wrote, that would make sense.

For the person who requested screen shots of the destination charging... Here you go. Update was waiting for me when I got home from a trip. My car is a week old with me being gone most of that time, so, I am not sure if this is different with the new update, etc.

IMG_5512_1.jpg

IMG_5513_1.jpg

IMG_5514_1.jpg

IMG_5515_1.jpg

Was it wet at all?

When I get my MS I plan on testing this because part of me finds this hard to believe, but another part of me is aware of that Tesla doesn't always do things in the manner one would think they would.

There is a problem when a car tries to do too much thinking when it comes to something as simple as stopping. Whether or not someone hits the accelerator or not the brakes should brake when they're hit. There is no "oh, sorry I was confused so I didn't do anything" or "But, you hit the gas first so obviously you consented to being thrown into the back of the truck".

This is a car. You don't have time to go "hmmm.. Let's try this again"

it's like Tesla can't quite figure out that it's an electric car, and you don't have the same feedback mechanism that you do in a normal ICE car.

On an ICE car you have the engine noise letting you know you hit the accelerator
On an ICE car you have the gear shift feeling letting you know you shifted from Reverse/Drive/etc.
An ICE car doesn't have the same instantaneous response.

On an ICE car the manufacture can decide whether they want the accelerator to be ignored or obeyed when both pedals are pressed. Some choose for it to be obeyed because of their target demographic demands it. Some people want a car to just do what it's told even if it's being told two different conflicting things.

The Toyota fiasco taught manufactures a valuable lesson in that sometimes with highly automated cars you have to keep things simple.

Why can't Tesla keeps things simple?

Both this behavior and the behavior with the Reverse/Forward is truly bizarre to me.

This car almost invites itself into running into things, and goes a long ways into explaining why so many people have such trivial accidents with them. Drivers backing into things because the car ignored the shift. It couldn't shift because it was going over some speed threshold, but it also didn't shift in neutral to be safe. Going into neutral at least gives the user the few hundred of milliseconds of panic (when it doesn't go) to hit the brakes.

So this is a new one for me. I was traveling this week. While I was gone, I received a notice on my phone that an update was available. A few days later I get back to my car and the clock isn't there. There is no update available. Did Tesla rescind a version?

So this is a new one for me. I was traveling this week. While I was gone, I received a notice on my phone that an update was available. A few days later I get back to my car and the clock isn't there. There is no update available. Did Tesla rescind a version?

I have no first-hand knowledge of this, and don't even know that it's possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did rescind .236 because of the bug MarcG identified with the walk-away door locks. A few minutes after I reported that bug to [email protected], I received a phone call, asking for more details about when it occurred, etc. My take was that they wanted to pull my logs, and confirm it really happened. If Tesla confirmed the bug, but couldn't push a fix quickly, it would make sense that they might stop updates, and rescind any uninstalled ones if possible, as opposed to letting people potenitally leave their cars unsecured. We know from past experience they wouldn't just send an email saying, essentially "This is what you need to do to correct the bug in this version of the software."

Edit: And looking at the update tracker, there were no installations of .236 today, and only three yesterday, after 24 the day before, and 16 the day before that. The three could have been a lag in the time it took Tesla to pull the update, or people reporting late, etc. I think there is a decent chance Tesla stopped pushing .236, and that the walk-away door locking issue will be fixed in whatever version they start pushing to the Ds next.

Last edited:
I have no first-hand knowledge of this, and don't even know that it's possible, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did rescind .236 because of the bug MarcG identified with the walk-away door locks. A few minutes after I reported that bug to [email protected], I received a phone call, asking for more details about when it occurred, etc. My take was that they wanted to pull my logs, and confirm it really happened. If Tesla confirmed the bug, but couldn't push a fix quickly, it would make sense that they might stop updates, and rescind any uninstalled ones if possible, as opposed to letting people potenitally leave their cars unsecured. We know from past experience they wouldn't just send an email saying, essentially "This is what you need to do to correct the bug in this version of the software."

Edit: And looking at the update tracker, there were no installations of .236 today, and only three yesterday, after 24 the day before, and 16 the day before that. The three could have been a lag in the time it took Tesla to pull the update, or people reporting late, etc. I think there is a decent chance Tesla stopped pushing .236, and that the walk-away door locking issue will be fixed in whatever version they start pushing to the Ds next.

I'm not surprised Tesla has this ability. Apple does. Each installation package is signed. All they have to do is revoke the cert and you can no longer install it. Doesn't matter if you've already downloaded it.

I'll await the next release :)

Took a quick drive tonight on the freeway and found some of the same differences others have reported.

Never seen the double red lines show up (granted I drove the car only 4 days) I saw it three times today and I was not changing lanes. Maybe just getting close to the line.

Also, found TACC to be a little bit smoother.