Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't count on it, at least 3 times my car has been returned without firmware being updated even though service order states that it was, I recently brought this up with my SA & he said some things on the service order are "boiler plate".

Visible Tesla shows your cars firmware version so when my service order was emailed to prior to pick up I was confident they had not updated again, so when I got there I had my SA check his computer & it showed my last update was a month ago so I then I had my SA call the technician & he confirmed they had a newer version available, we walk out to my car to double check the version or see if they had preloaded it but not installed & sure enough still my old firmware.

So the other times they didn't even bother to preload it? That's too bad. I've seen the update staged before and it caused some initial confusion for me too at first, but after I got back the car I realized what had happened.

I must say my last service at Van Nuys was exceptional. I literally had nothing to complain about. Too bad this doesn't apply to everyone, but perhaps it's a sign of things to come.

Is it just me, or has part of the music problem been fixed with .253?
Now when I pause slacker, when I come back, it is where I left it. It no longer plays 3 or 4 songs and has skipped to something else since I paused it.
Anyone else notice this?

This happens when playing from the thumb drive as well. I think it's a lot more than three or four songs--more like thirty.

Here are the changes to TACC I've noticed in the current patch (.251 in my S85D). I've driven about 4,000 miles since the patch while making these observations:

(1) Brake-light recognition: I can't prove it, but it does seem like the TACC is taking into consideration brake lights in front of me. Before, it would only start slowing down when it detected the vehicle in front of me was closing distance. Now, it seems to begin some kind of light-regen brake when the red lights go on.

(2) Maximum speed cap when catching up to a car: I was able to test this today. The car is much smoother now when you have to make up room in front of you to the next car. It doesn't go all-out acceleration, but does it slowly. I tested this today by going 70mph as I slowly gained on a car .25 miles in front of me which was probably going about 64-66mph. As the radar lock engaged (icon goes blue on the dash), I immediately bumped up my cruise control to 75mph. The car did not accelerate beyond 70mph, but continued to close the gap. I'm thinking there is a +5mph cap algorithm for this scenario.

(3) Lane Exits: I noticed that when a car or motorcycle (lane split scenarios in California) exits in front of me to an adjacent lane and accelerates, the TACC does not aggressively speed up to follow it like before. Great change, even though it doesn't work 100% of the time yet.

(4) As a combination of these changes to the TACC algorithms and other things I don't know about, lower speed stop-and-go traffic with TACC seems to be more abrupt. I'm sure they'll figure it out.\

But overall, I give this a thumbs up.

- K

Here are the changes to TACC I've noticed in the current patch (.251 in my S85D). I've driven about 4,000 miles since the patch while making these observations:

(1) Brake-light recognition: I can't prove it, but it does seem like the TACC is taking into consideration brake lights in front of me. Before, it would only start slowing down when it detected the vehicle in front of me was closing distance. Now, it seems to begin some kind of light-regen brake when the red lights go on.

(2) Maximum speed cap when catching up to a car: I was able to test this today. The car is much smoother now when you have to make up room in front of you to the next car. It doesn't go all-out acceleration, but does it slowly. I tested this today by going 70mph as I slowly gained on a car .25 miles in front of me which was probably going about 64-66mph. As the radar lock engaged (icon goes blue on the dash), I immediately bumped up my cruise control to 75mph. The car did not accelerate beyond 70mph, but continued to close the gap. I'm thinking there is a +5mph cap algorithm for this scenario.

(3) Lane Exits: I noticed that when a car or motorcycle (lane split scenarios in California) exits in front of me to an adjacent lane and accelerates, the TACC does not aggressively speed up to follow it like before. Great change, even though it doesn't work 100% of the time yet.

(4) As a combination of these changes to the TACC algorithms and other things I don't know about, lower speed stop-and-go traffic with TACC seems to be more abrupt. I'm sure they'll figure it out.\

But overall, I give this a thumbs up.

- K

Thanks for the analysis! Out of curiosity, what do you have your following distance set to?

I'm not sure in which build this change occurred, but I noticed that the map centering has changed. In north-up orientation, the car's location used to be the center of the red rectangle I've overlaid in the image below, whereas now it's the center of the green rectangle. It kind of bugged me at first, as it felt off-center, but I guess I've gotten used to it now. I still think it was better before, but it's minor enough to not warrant any complaints.

North-up Centering.jpg

I'm not sure in which build this change occurred, but I noticed that the map centering has changed. In north-up orientation, the car's location used to be the center of the red rectangle I've overlaid in the image below, whereas now it's the center of the green rectangle. It kind of bugged me at first, as it felt off-center, but I guess I've gotten used to it now. I still think it was better before, but it's minor enough to not warrant any complaints.

View attachment 88980

Press once, it will come back the way it were

This one I'm skeptical on. I had .251 for a while on .253 now. The car is always slowing down in front of you when the brake lights are on because they don't come on until the person is pressing the brake pedal or in the case of cars like the Model S they're triggered by deceleration. The only reason I can think of to actually do this is to look for traffic slowing down on the highway where cars ahead of the car you're following have lights on but the car you're following is not braking yet. I commute in relatively heavy traffic and run into this situation daily and haven't notice the car doing this. So I'm inclined to believe it just isn't happening.

Agree. This has gotten progressively better with the software updates.

Can't really comment on the motorcycle bits of your post, I don't see lane splitting by motorcycles really at all here.

I doubt that too. Not that I can test it - no TACC on my 60, but I played with it on a loaner a few weeks ago ...

What likely happens is that the driver of the car in front has to move the foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal, during which time the car starts decelerating, at least a little, before the brakes are applied and the brake lights go on. TACC likely notices that deceleration before it's obvious visually and reacts to that. Reacting to red lights in front would cause false positives from sunlight reflection etc. Whether the TACC has been updated to be more sensitive to the deceleration is open for debate and testing ...

Definitely does not seem to be the case for me in the P85D with .253. Looked out for this a few times today and didn't experience anything that would suggest it monitored brake lights.

Got version 2.5.21 this afternoon (also identified as 6.2). Can't update firmware tracker (Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App) because it refuses my entry saying "2.5.*" in invalid for 6.2...

Odd numbering choice from Tesla. They typically keep the same dot-release number within the generic software number, e.g. 2.0.x release was software version 6.0, 2.2.x was software 6.1, and until now 2.4.x was software 6.2. Did they find that dot-dot numbers were getting too high or something?

Odd numbering choice from Tesla. They typically keep the same dot-release number within the generic software number, e.g. 2.0.x release was software version 6.0, 2.2.x was software 6.1, and until now 2.4.x was software 6.2. Did they find that dot-dot numbers were getting too high or something?

It is interesting. Perhaps there is some larger architectural change underneath, even if it is not apparent in the feature set. Maybe there is something there to prepare for 7.0. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking... :rolleyes:

It is interesting. Perhaps there is some larger architectural change underneath, even if it is not apparent in the feature set. Maybe there is something there to prepare for 7.0. Maybe this is all just wishful thinking... :rolleyes:

I'm still on .251. Does this mean when 7 comes out, ill have to first wait for .253, then .21 and then 7? Or usually will they just push 7 out?