Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my update notice and it is in progress... But (as a prior couple of posts mentioned), what exactly does Sport mode vs. Insane do? I've kept my P85D in Insane mode (a little bit of self awareness for me ;) ) since the car was delivered.

Are there any advantages other than a slightly slower acceleration? Is it smoother, less jerky etc.? I find that I can manage (read baby) the accelerator as needed in Insane but can go "to 11" if needed with the Insane setting. Just wondering...

Just received my update notice and it is in progress... But (as a prior couple of posts mentioned), what exactly does Sport mode vs. Insane do? I've kept my P85D in Insane mode (a little bit of self awareness for me ;) ) since the car was delivered.

Are there any advantages other than a slightly slower acceleration? Is it smoother, less jerky etc.? I find that I can manage (read baby) the accelerator as needed in Insane but can go "to 11" if needed with the Insane setting. Just wondering...

I've been keeping insane mode on as well, and have no problems controlling the rate of acceleration with the pedal. I've switched it to sport a few times on road trips, but I don't think it was necessary.

Per the last update on this (.168):

"Insane mode is now more insane! Your car accelerates even faster when in insane mode, improving 0-to-60-mph performance in this mode from 3.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds. The accelerator pedal is also now more responsive in insane mode."

(emphasis mine)

Per the last update on this (.168):

"Insane mode is now more insane! Your car accelerates even faster when in insane mode, improving 0-to-60-mph performance in this mode from 3.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds. The accelerator pedal is also now more responsive in insane mode."

(emphasis mine)

Hmmm. It was pretty responsive before! I bet that is where the other .1 seconds of acceleration comes from... not an increase in power.

So now Sport mode might make a little more sense...

Thx!

.188 was installed on my P85D today at a service center.

I got .188 today, too, over the air.
And it appeared during the day, which is a first for me, since all other upgrades appeared at night.
I never received .168; anything new in .188? I didn't find any surprises in the release notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Any new details in the release notes? Did they remove the INSANE option?

Insane and Sport are still there on P85D.
However, I don't think that they are interchangeable.
I've played around to see if both are similarly efficient during my hilly commute and I feel that Sport is more efficient than Insane.
I can get to the low 300s Wh/mi in Sport, while I am stuck in the mid to high 300s in Insane, even when mostly using TACC and Range Mode on the highway.
This difference may be due to the more powerful rear motor in the P85D, compared with the 85D.
Maybe that's why both driving modes are still available on the P85D.

Insane and Sport are still there on P85D.
However, I don't think that they are interchangeable.
I've played around to see if both are similarly efficient during my hilly commute and I feel that Sport is more efficient than Insane.
I can get to the low 300s Wh/mi in Sport, while I am stuck in the mid to high 300s in Insane, even when mostly using TACC and Range Mode on the highway.
This difference may be due to the more powerful rear motor in the P85D, compared with the 85D.
Maybe that's why both driving modes are still available on the P85D.

Ever since the SW version that included torque sleep was released (I believe it was 6.1 2.2.139), I've left my settings in INSANE mode and RANGE MODE = ON and have been averaging around 340 Wh/mi.

I just installed 188 on my P85D, coming from 153, I thought we were already at 0-60 on 3.1secs, I'm I wrong? I went out and tested it, the acceleration is certainly different, it seems more aggressive. I was quite impressed, it just felt more supercar like. I think I'm in love all over again! I loved the aggressiveness, hopefully I'm not just hallucinating! I felt like the car was just jumping a bit and way more fun. Can any one else confirm this?

I just installed 188 on my P85D, coming from 153, I thought we were already at 0-60 on 3.1secs, I'm I wrong? I went out and tested it, the acceleration is certainly different, it seems more aggressive. I was quite impressed, it just felt more supercar like. I think I'm in love all over again! I loved the aggressiveness, hopefully I'm not just hallucinating! I felt like the car was just jumping a bit and way more fun. Can any one else confirm this?

The acceleration has been quicker since version .168. So at 153, you didn't increase it yet. Now you did.

I got .188 today, too, over the air.
I never received .168; anything new in .188?

Yep. I went right to .188. Over the last couple of days, felt a little left out as I didn't receive the .168 release. Stuck on .153 (I think?).

I may switch to the sport mode for daily usage. I only charge to about 80% (200 miles) and most days only drive 10 miles or so (but some days maybe 50). I figure that 80% doesn't stress the battery any more than 60%. And I actually have taken to setting it to rated range mode in miles (vs. percentage). Just makes me feel better... Sorta like a full tank of gas used to! The percent of battery was stressing me out... Funny how habits and emotions are hard to change.

You say this with high confidence. Are there no efficiency differences between Normal and Sport (or between Sport and Insane)?

I don't think there's any efficiency differences if you don't really slam on the peddle. The first night they added sport I thought their might have been, but it was particularly bad weather. Having put a few thousand miles on since I don't think there's any difference. Including this morning getting the best efficiency I've seen yet (259 Wh/mile) on my 70 mile highway commute.

Just updated to .188. The increased power off of the line is quite noticeable, as is the pedal sensitivity. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Motors seem a bit louder as well, which is fine with me.

Glad I'm not hallucinating! I'm loving this update, it just feels nice after getting used to the previous performance to get a new punch in power :)

I also noticed the motor be more, noisy, but not horribly so and worth the tradeoff imo.