Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the introduction of the Waze website, I now have Nav on top, Waze in browser on the bottom, trips on left, and music on the right. Love this layout! Love the Waze website. That thing has been super useful and kept me from getting SO many tickets!! Need to find how to donate to that guy...
Back on topic: this configuration means I'd have to have power on the speedo to see it, and I def want to see it

These last couple of pages of posts are finally getting to the core of the issue for many of us: The removal of key information from the instrument cluster display. I don't give two sh*ts whether the UI is flat or not. It could be a green screen for all I care, just make sure the important things I need as a driver are always displayed.

Even in 6.2, I feel the instrument cluster and 17" screen are poorly laid out. There is more information that I'd like to have that I can't get displayed simultaneously. At an absolute minimum, I need the following ALWAYS displayed:

- Speedometer, in BOTH analog and digital
- Power meter, in analog
- Battery state of charge and remaining miles in digital
- Nav map with traffic (on 17" display)
- Time and temperature in digital
- Indicators for P/R/N/D, turn signals, odometer, other misc indicators as appropriate (lights, fog lights, high beams, etc.)

I'd like to also have the following displayed:

- Energy graph (very necessary in some situations, less so in others. When driving manually, I usually put this in the instrument cluster, when on TACC I put in on the 17" display so I can also see predicted range. Ideally, I'd like to be able to flip to the predicted range graph within the instrument cluster).
- Turn-by-turn nav instructions along with optimal lane selection (left side Nav)
- Media app
- Web browser with Waze app (really need Waze integrated into main Nav display, but for now I can use it this way)
- Sometimes on web browser I use a Telsa winds web page for efficiency planning purposes
- Sometimes on web browser I use a Tesla weather page for radar

In some situations, I would also like:

- Trips meters
- Phone app when required

With the current system layout, all of this information obviously cannot be displayed at the same time, so I find myself CONSTANTLY switching things around to see what I want to see. I was hoping in v7 to get a user interface that could reduce the switching and consolidate more information into less space.

But no. We got the opposite:

- Of the 6 items I listed under my must-haves always, 2 of them are gone completely and 2 of them have reduced functionality.
- Of the 6 items I have listed under my also-need, 1 is now both required (since it now has the power meter) and less useful (since the energy graph no longer has axes labels or accurate lines), and it displaces other items that I need.

In the place of where we could be displaying useful information, there is a cartoon gimmick of a car icon that is USELESS to me as a driver. What information can I possibly derive out of that that's helpful? It's not a substitute for situational awareness. I'm driving, I have to know actual positions of other cars without looking at my dash. The information about other cars on the IC is useless, redundant, and occupies precious screen real estate that should be giving me useful information.

The speed displays are now 3 digital numbers (actual speed, TACC programmed speed, and speed limit). Displaying these as 3 individual numbers is asinine -- now I have to do mental calculations to determine whether I'm over or under the speed limit, whether I'm over or under my TACC programmed speed, and without an analog sweep for the speedometer AND no power meter, I can't determine whether I'm accelerating or decelerating at a glance.

The round meter with blue/gray/arrow and orange/green instantaneously gave me every one of these pieces of information without having to think about it. That's what I want as a driver.

I hate this interface to the degree that I've already called my nearest service center, and I've had my VIN placed on a list to refuse updates. I will NOT upgrade to any software version that even remotely resembles any of the leaked screenshots I've seen here and elsewhere. I couldn't actually drive the car with that.

I'm highly disappointed, and really very alarmed at the incompetence shown by Tesla in these screenshots. I can only hope that these screenshots bear little resemblance to the actual final product.

I hate this interface to the degree that I've already called my nearest service center, and I've had my VIN placed on a list to refuse updates. I will NOT upgrade to any software version that even remotely resembles any of the leaked screenshots I've seen here and elsewhere. I couldn't actually drive the car with that.

Soo, you're willing to forgo autopilot capability because of a UI not-yet-released and you haven't tried.

That's commitment.

Soo, you're willing to forgo autopilot capability because of a UI not-yet-released and you haven't tried.

That's commitment.

When the final 7.0 is released, I will go to my service center and drive a loaner with 7.0 and see exactly what it has, what it doesn't, and how well it works, and I'll make a decision then. I just don't want my car updated until I do that.

But I stand by what I said. If it actually is close to what we've seen, then yes, I'll forgo the Autopilot features until some later date when the interface is usable again.

When the final 7.0 is released, I will go to my service center and drive a loaner with 7.0 and see exactly what it has, what it doesn't, and how well it works, and I'll make a decision then. I just don't want my car updated until I do that.

But I stand by what I said. If it actually is close to what we've seen, then yes, I'll forgo the Autopilot features until some later date when the interface is usable again.

And if it never is? At some point Tesla won't support the car if you refuse updates for years and the issue you have is fixed in newer software.

Since the introduction of the Waze website, I now have Nav on top, Waze in browser on the bottom, trips on left, and music on the right. Love this layout! Love the Waze website. That thing has been super useful and kept me from getting SO many tickets!! Need to find how to donate to that guy...
Back on topic: this configuration means I'd have to have power on the speedo to see it, and I def want to see it

This is is exactly MY layout

This is is exactly MY layout
It's the best.... since when using the nav, the trips gets replaced with turn-by-turn, the only flipping I have to do is occasionally to the energy graph on the bottom and then back to waze once I have satisfied my curiosity as to how close the prediction is to the real thing (I do this more often when trying to stretch the range on longer legs or legs that don't have a SC at the end of them) :cool:

That's commitment.

Well I don't have autopilot hardware so I'll continue to decline updates until they revert it or improve it back to at least the standards it was at before. This new flat crap fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch in the way down. This is a luxury car not an old school crackberry interface.

In China this week and had a chance to snap this photo of the BYD Taxi UI display . . .
image.jpg

I know it's pointless to suggest this, but perhaps waiting until it rolls out and getting some experience with it before passing judgment might be a reasonable approach? I have my concerns too, but I suspect that Tesla will respond better to customers who have experienced it, versus those who saw some pictures of pre-released software.

Well I don't have autopilot hardware so I'll continue to decline updates until they revert it or improve it back to at least the standards it was at before. This new flat crap fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch in the way down. This is a luxury car not an old school crackberry interface.

Just remember that a service visit can result in a firmware upgrade that you were not expecting...

I know it's pointless to suggest this, but perhaps waiting until it rolls out and getting some experience with it before passing judgment might be a reasonable approach?

You're absolutely correct, and that is exactly what I want to do. I just don't want to take the chance that my car will be updated because if I dislike the new version, Tesla may refuse to revert it back to the previous one.

I have my concerns too, but I suspect that Tesla will respond better to customers who have experienced it, versus those who saw some pictures of pre-released software.

You would think so, but that then begs the question of why the leaks? Either they're intentionally leaking the version to some people to gauge feedback before general release, or they're being really sloppy with the beta testing in that they've sent the update inadvertently to a lot of people. Neither instills confidence.

I am a bit dyslexic. Because of this I always look for the same rental cars so I do not get confused.

When deciding to get a Tesla making sure I was comfortable with the UI was very important. The Brea store was fantastic giving me a little extra time with a loaner.

I am keeping in mind what we have seen is beta and who knows how it will change. I personally hope it does. I will add my voice to the top line lacking on the 17 screen and the missing range / blue / orange. Range is a concern for me. I hope there is an easy way to find it.

With all of this said I just realized that I am just going to have to hope for the best with any large UI upgrade from Tesla and hope that the changes does not drive my brain matter wonky. If it does I will need to dumb down my very pretty car with some post it notes for a bit.

I know it's pointless to suggest this, but perhaps waiting until it rolls out and getting some experience with it before passing judgment might be a reasonable approach? I have my concerns too, but I suspect that Tesla will respond better to customers who have experienced it, versus those who saw some pictures of pre-released software.

None of us (ok, well, myself at least) are passing judgement. We are offering feedback on the beta version in hopes the final product resolves the identified issues. If we don't say anything, Tesla will assume it's all hunky dory and release as is.

Besides, this is a forum. You cannot expect us all to just pass over leaked images and not say a word can you? :tongue:

Do you think that actually will do anything?

I can't imagine that a) there is such a list, and b) if such a list exists, that you could get on it by calling any old service center. Old pal of Elon, maybe, but random service center customer? Not a chance.

I can guess which list they put you on, and I don't think it was the one you were asking for...