Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be assuming this incorrectly, but that clock is just one of many widgets that you can put into that spot. Its functionality is no different than today's setup.

Correct--the problem is that time is currently displayed without having to use a widget. From what we've seen, that may not be the case with 7.0.

A lot of this thread seems like a proxy war against Apple.

Because a lot of people feel like Apple has jumped the shark in terms of design. iOS was flattened so much that it felt like the character had been squeezed out of it. iPhones were flattened so much that did not improve much in battery life (unless you bought a huge 6+), and also so flat that they had protruding cameras and tended to bend more easily than predecessors.

The only reason Apple has continued to do as well as it has is that Android has sucked, Blackberry is on life support, and Windows is irrelevant. People buy an Android phone, and then realize only months or years later that they are stuck on Ice Cream Sandwich or some other godforsaken release because the handset OEM and/or carrier is too lazy to update the device despite numerous security holes. The smart people will get around this by buying Nexus handsets or others that can be loaded with custom ROMs, but not everyone wants to put up with this.

Because a lot of people feel like Apple has jumped the shark in terms of design. iOS was flattened so much that it felt like the character had been squeezed out of it. iPhones were flattened so much that did not improve much in battery life (unless you bought a huge 6+), and also so flat that they had protruding cameras and tended to bend more easily than predecessors.

Man...I must need to increase my standards since I love both my Tesla and my iPhone 6....

:tongue:

Because I'm not seeing it. To drive, I need information. If I compare the information I get now from 6.2 with the information that I (apparently) can get from 7.0, it sure does seem like I'm missing a lot. Am I wrong? Does it matter? Help me out here.

The focus is on autopilot and driver assistance. Sure, there are about 80,000 cars without autopilot out there, but within a year the number of cars with AP will be roughly equal to those without... and beyond that, the "classic" cars will be even more of a minority. For what it's worth, I plan to wait until I get some experience before I pass judgment. I'll probably adapt very quickly to 7.0; there will be items that I certainly like, and items that I don't necessarily like. And I'll get to compare the "classic" experience with the autopilot experience when our Model X arrives.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have any concern at all, because there are no facts, at all. Every bit of this is conjecture. Once the real V7 hits the streets, there will certainly be feedback to Tesla about what pisses people off. And some of it will be valid and meaningful, and probably a subset of that plus a couple other things will be tightened up in their maintenance releases.

Certainly there is feedback going to Tesla right now from whatever test cycle they're running.

Is there something I'm missing or "not getting" about this new interface? If you're a person who likes it, or believes it's more advanced than what we have, or that it helps the driver more, then great. Please explain to me why you feel that way. What is it that you see in this interface that I'm not seeing? Tell me how this is better for the driver. Not for future potential owners, but for the driver sitting in front of it that has to interact with it.
I believe the part you aren't getting, is that on appropriate sensor equipped Models S, the "toy" car will be surrounded by images of other cars and the road showing their positions relative to the Model S and the position of the Model S in the lane. Thus this one single display will visually show "lane departure", "blind spot warning", and "collision warning" in one place. It's possible the "toy" car will also indicate door lock status, open windows, sun roof, tire pressures, brake lights, tail lights, reverse lights, etc.

Correct--the problem is that time is currently displayed without having to use a widget. From what we've seen, that may not be the case with 7.0.

The time is conveniently displayed on the touchscreen, it seems. Apparently, though, outside temp goes away without the clock app... that's an annoyance to me.

The time is conveniently displayed on the touchscreen, it seems. Apparently, though, outside temp goes away without the clock app... that's an annoyance to me.

Yeah, not having the time displayed on the dash I can live with. But they're really going to have to bring back the ambient temp.

Are they retaining time and outside temp on the 17 inch?

No, neither display is present in the beta WRT ambient temp.

I need ACTIONABLE data.... But the issue is what is that [clock] displacing??

Well, I think it may be displacing things that Tesla has decided distract people from driving safely. All this "ACTIONABLE data" will probably just go away. It will be replaced by things that can be taken in with just a quick glance. But that's just my guess from the few pictures I've seen of what may not be the new interface at all.

I'll tell you the kind of actionable data I want. I'd like to see what the front facing radar is seeing when I'm driving through tule fog, and I'd like that display to be integrated into the windshield. Now that would be superhuman, which is what I'd like my Tesla to be.

If they did it right, it should be easy and possible to layer *ANY* interface on top of the stack, without any re-work or back-porting at all. I'm hoping that's actually the route they took. We shall see.

The chance that new features can fit into the old interface without any re-work or back-porting is essentially zero. But even if it would make 20% rather than 100% more work for the developers, either way we get slower delivery, more bugs, and double the testing. Plus the documentation becomes unwieldy at best. Tesla is very unlikely to go in that direction for many reasons, the most important of which is that it's not that kind of company. If it were, the Roadster would be able to use the superchargers.

Last edited:
The focus is on autopilot and driver assistance.

Well, yes, that's kind of a given. Maybe I can understand the operation of this interface when autopilot with lane keeping is active and operational, although I still question both its utility and its objective even in that situation. I do not understand anything about this interface when autopilot is not operational, which will be the case the majority of the time.

I believe the part you aren't getting, is that on appropriate sensor equipped Models S, the "toy" car will be surrounded by images of other cars and the road showing their positions relative to the Model S and the position of the Model S in the lane.

Well, yes, we know that. That's what was shown on the 2014 autopilot and D model rollout video. But my question is, what is that for, or what is the use of it? It doesn't tell me anything I don't already know from looking out the window or in my mirrors. So it's redundant, and therefore useless information. You're not suggesting that drivers should look at the IC instead of their mirrors, correct?

Thus this one single display will visually show "lane departure", "blind spot warning", and "collision warning" in one place.

The visual displays of those items are secondary. Driver's reaction is to the audio warning sound (or steering wheel vibration) that accompanies them. But if a better visual representation is warranted, then I could be on board with that. But certainly it doesn't have to take up the entire center area of the display to the exclusion of the analog speedometer and the power meter, correct?

I'm going to need a lot better reasons than "it's a graphic representation of what's around the car". I guess I really shouldn't be surprised at this, since Tesla has other graphic displays in the software that are also not useful. Here's a good example:

Anyone have Ultra High Fidelity sound? Pull up the fader and balance control. You get a picture of the interior of the car, with the fader slider on the side with a horizontal line, and the balance control on the top with a vertical line. Where the lines intersect is a circle. Tell me the purpose of that circle and the crossed lines. What is it supposed to represent? What does it actually represent? Looking forward to your responses.

Anyone have Ultra High Fidelity sound? Pull up the fader and balance control. You get a picture of the interior of the car, with the fader slider on the side with a horizontal line, and the balance control on the top with a vertical line. Where the lines intersect is a circle. Tell me the purpose of that circle and the crossed lines. What is it supposed to represent? What does it actually represent? Looking forward to your responses.

I see the trap here, but I'll bite anyway. The circle is supposed to represent the intersection of the balance and fader. If you put the circle over a seat in the car, it is supposed to indicate that the sound will be most focused at that seating location, and not as loud as in the other locations in the car. If you center it in the vehicle, it suggests that the balance and fade are such that all speakers play at equivalent loudness/volume.

As for what it actually represents, I'd say basically the same thing. When my kids are loud in the back seat, I put it in the corner near my driver's seat and crank my podcast or whatever. When they want to listen to kid music and my wife and I want to chat, I push it back and centered. This seems to work, but your question implies that I'm completely missing something. Care to publicly embarrass me and tell me what that thing is?

If you put the circle over a seat in the car, it is supposed to indicate that the sound will be most focused at that seating location, and not as loud as in the other locations in the car.

In other words, the ideal listening position. To explain further, the speakers are at fixed locations within the car, but the person who wants to listen to music is not in the center of the car. For him to hear all of the speakers at an apparently equal volume as if he were in the center of the car, then the balance and fader have to be adjusted.

Except that the circle is exactly 180 degrees opposite of where the ideal listening position actually is. If I'm the driver, and I'm the only person in the car, then I want the sound to be balanced for my listening position -- the driver's seat. If you go to this display and place the circle in the middle of the driver's seat, you've set the balance and fader to exactly the wrong position.

For the driver's seat, the left front speakers are the closest speakers to the driver, so they have to be made the quietest out of all the speakers so they don't drown the others out. Conversely, the right rear speakers are the farthest from the driver, so they have to be made the loudest so the driver can hear them. The proper balance is to the right, and the proper fader is to the back. This places the circle in the middle of the right rear passenger seat. Completely non-intuitive.

No public embarrassment here, just the fact that Tesla frequently has a vision or objective for the interface that they fail to execute. To me, this appears to be a pattern.

In other words, the ideal listening position.

See, that's interesting. I wouldn't have thought for a second it was supposed to be the ideal "stereo" style listening position, because it's the intersection of fader and balance. I've had enough radios to know that I don't fade to front and balance to the left to get the "ideal" listening experience if I'm in the car solo, so it wouldn't occur to me that this implied that. Quite honestly, if it worked in reverse, I would find it counterintuitive.

I am glad you brought this up because I think it points out something very interesting. I'm guessing you don't find yourself in the situations I mentioned above very often. If you wanted to make the stereo loud for your kids, but quiet for you and your wife, you can't convince me that you'd want to move that slider forward instead of backwards. Our expectations differ based on our personal use of the vehicle. And I am sure that's a driving (ha!) factor behind many of the disagreements in this thread.

Not sure what you think is tricky. The car has a bunch of speakers that make sounds. The circle is where you are adjusting the system to place a more or less equivalent single sound maker. Put the circle in the front left corner and that's where the sound is coming from. Same for other places. Seems straightforward to me.

This is one of the interfaces I love to show people who've never seen the car. It's so visual and obvious, a great use of the screen and simple graphics.

And no, if you think you are choosing what spot in the car you want your sounds to sound "best" at, then you are just kidding yourself. A moment or two of playing with the system will inform you of your error. It's immediately obvious because there's instant audio feedback.

Well, I think it may be displacing things that Tesla has decided distract people from driving safely. All this "ACTIONABLE data" will probably just go away. It will be replaced by things that can be taken in with just a quick glance. But that's just my guess from the few pictures I've seen of what may not be the new interface at all.

It will be replaced by useless bling, displacing the actually needed information. Tesla UI designers think that they're Apple, but they're not.

For me, the left part of the console is always taken by the navigation screen. The right part displays the media info - I'm listening to radio and I often want to know what song is playing. So with the new interface I lose easy access to the clock and the ambient temperature. There's a clock on the central console, but there's no date and day of week information that's easily accessible anymore.

To add insult to injury, the actually IMPORTANT information that should be accessible at a glance is still not shown clearly - there's no indication of the current speed limit and the autopilot speed setting.

There's still no clearly indicated highway exit information - I have to lean really close to read the super extra tiny exit information rendering on the navigation screen.

But we got a toy car display. So I guess it's progress.

I'll tell you the kind of actionable data I want. I'd like to see what the front facing radar is seeing when I'm driving through tule fog, and I'd like that display to be integrated into the windshield. Now that would be superhuman, which is what I'd like my Tesla to be.
The radar that's installed in Tesla has practically no spatial resolution. So it's output is not that useful without lots of pre-processing.