Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Norwegian who got v7.0 on his S60 non-AP just got a new update downgrading him to 6.2. It seems it was a fluke.

Quote in Norwegian:
Jeg fikk nettopp en ny oppdatering på bilen ,den gikk da tilbake til versjon 6.2 ,så det kan tyde på en glipp :/

oops.png

Well that settles it!

OK.

I don't want to over-react. Really, I don't.

But that looks ****ing awful. I mean, really, really dumb. Why do I want a giant glowing picture of my car front and center in the display at all times?! WHY WOULD I WANT THAT? It provides no useful information. I remember what color my car is. I can tell the headlights are on because I can see the light in front of the car...and because there is ALSO a green "your headlights are on" indicator which as been retained in the upper left corner. All it does is waste space.

An analog clock? Really? And the only way I get the temp display is if I have that giant thing taking up half the display?

Oy. I can only hope I'm one of the last to get the update. Maybe I'll have sold/returned the car by then.

What JST said. LOL :wink:

What we are reading here is very typical of software UI changes. Some love it, others not so much. I hated the iOS 8 UI overhaul by Jony Ive, you can tell that he is a minimalist and his favorite font is Helvetica. That's all fine and dandy, but iOS' flat design is a disaster in some ways. Many iOS UI conventions that made sense in a skeumorphic world no longer make sense in flat land, but none of the UI conventions actually changed - just the look.

I'll reserve judgment until more owners get this and more feedback trickles out. I'm always the last to get software updates anyway, so I have plenty of time to make this decision! lol

Interesting. We'll have to see how this goes over the next couple of months. I'm liking the UI in general but it's going to take a bit of getting used to. I really wish they'd setup to where you could stream the rear cam from the MCU to the console. They've got the bandwidth to do it.

What we are reading here is very typical of software UI changes. Some love it, others not so much. I hated the iOS 8 UI overhaul by Jony Ive, you can tell that he is a minimalist and his favorite font is Helvetica. That's all fine and dandy, but iOS' flat design is a disaster in some ways. Many iOS UI conventions that made sense in a skeumorphic world no longer make sense in flat land, but none of the UI conventions actually changed - just the look.

Good thing I'm still on ios 7. Don't mind it on my iPhone but I don't want to have to hold back on a software release for my Model S because of the UI.

The bottom line with a car UI is that a good one has only one rule, the UI is about one thing, and one thing only: drivers can easily accomplish tasks. Everything else, including look and feel, are secondary issues. They should be considered mainly to evaluate how they're contributing to the one rule.

So: in evaluating this purported 7.0 leak, the question is, will it make drivers more successful at accomplishing tasks, or not?

I think the two top factors that go into measuring the "success" or "failure" of accomplishing a task are:

• time it takes to do the task
• can driver to accomplish the task without looking

The aesthetics are way down the list, imho.

If when 7.0 comes out, drivers get things done sooner, easier, with less hassle due to better info chunking, info hierarchy, and step count reduction, then it's a success.

The Norwegian who got v7.0 on his S60 non-AP just got a new update downgrading him to 6.2. It seems it was a fluke.

Quote in Norwegian:
Jeg fikk nettopp en ny oppdatering på bilen ,den gikk da tilbake til versjon 6.2 ,så det kan tyde på en glipp :/

Well that's a bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the Facebook leaks at Tesla Owners Worldwide FB group came from Vincent Himpe. His job title is Lead PCB Designer at Tesla Motors. He has since removed his photos.

A controlled leak? :)

Well that's a bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the Facebook leaks at Tesla Owners Worldwide FB group came from Vincent Himpe. His job title is Lead PCB Designer at Tesla Motors. He has since removed his photos.

A controlled leak? :)

This is a case where if it was a leak, it's not a plumber we need to fix it, but call the water department, to have them run a quality test. Look for contaminants in the Design department. I wanna know the parts per billion count on bits of Apple. I bet it's sky high.

I wouldn't mind the analog clock so much if they at least paid some attention to the clock face. And the correct place for a clock is at the top of the 17" display so all vehicle occupants can see it. I don't quite understand the purpose of a clock face in the speedo when that space can be used to display more useful information.

I'll reserve judgment until more owners get this and more feedback trickles out. I'm always the last to get software updates anyway, so I have plenty of time to make this decision! lol

The iOS overhaul actually happened in iOS 7, but I completely agree with your broader point. The user interaction did not change, while the look completely changed, and that was problematic.

Some humor:

JobsIveiOS7.jpg

Source: http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.com/post/52664694149

I look forward to seeing how drivers here evaluate Model S Firmware 7.x. Hopefully this will go down a lot easier than iOS 7!