Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got 7.0 last night, I got the 13th iteration of 6.2 two nights ago. She doesn't spend any time on the foums, so she came in from driving this morning and said, "something's wrong with my car (it does have a 'needs service' light that showed up 2 days ago)". I said, "You've got 7.0, you and two guys in Norway". So she gave me her key and I'll check it out. Her car is a 2012 Founder's Series, F00014, so super early VIN. I used to be on the EAP for my car, but haven't seemed to get those in the last year or so. Not sure if that halo has passed to her or if we just got the luck of the draw.

Off to the car...

(Edit) OK - Everybody calm down, it's not as radical looking in person as the initial spy photos. It looks nice, it's simple, as before you can choose what what you want to show on either side of the instrument cluster, the center is simpler and cleaner, just a speedometer (I admit I do like the old center display better). Everything on the 17" display is similar, just simpler, whatever the graphics term is for it. Everyone go back to looking for the Model X. If you want some specific screen shots, let me know.
So we lost the powermeter in the centre, the Time, date and temp line at the bottom ?

My wife got 7.0 last night, I got the 13th iteration of 6.2 two nights ago. She doesn't spend any time on the foums, so she came in from driving this morning and said, "something's wrong with my car (it does have a 'needs service' light that showed up 2 days ago)". I said, "You've got 7.0, you and two guys in Norway". So she gave me her key and I'll check it out. Her car is a 2012 Founder's Series, F00014, so super early VIN. I used to be on the EAP for my car, but haven't seemed to get those in the last year or so. Not sure if that halo has passed to her or if we just got the luck of the draw.

Off to the car...

(Edit) OK - Everybody calm down, it's not as radical looking in person as the initial spy photos. It looks nice, it's simple, as before you can choose what what you want to show on either side of the instrument cluster, the center is simpler and cleaner, just a speedometer (I admit I do like the old center display better). Everything on the 17" display is similar, just simpler, whatever the graphics term is for it. Everyone go back to looking for the Model X. If you want some specific screen shots, let me know.
Congratulations to your wife for being the first reported 7.0 in North America. Yes, screenshots please! You know the Model S as well as anyone so please post whatever you think we'd be interested in.

Ok. Um, interesting that you fail to recognize there are some legitimate concerns raised in this thread. That's the purpose of a beta, to gather input, is it not? No one is panicking here, most everyone is providing constructive feedback.

Legitimate concerns about a UI that NOBODY has...umm....used? Those legitimate concerns? It sounds a lot to me like a kid at the dinner table who's Mother has made a new kind of casserole and before the kid has even tried a forkful: 'Where's the peanut butter? I don't like it if it doesn't have peanut butter.'

Seeing a few pictures on a TMC thread doesn't make *this* a beta test.

Legitimate concerns about a UI that NOBODY has...umm....used? Those legitimate concerns? It sounds a lot to me like a kid at the dinner table who's Mother has made a new kind of casserole and before the kid has even tried a forkful: 'Where's the peanut butter? I don't like it if it doesn't have peanut butter.'

Today I can see the navigation or radio in the left part of the screen, The speed, power and SOC in the middle. The trip counter with "Since last charge" on the right part. At the bottom I have lock-state, odometer, temperature time and date. In 7.0 I will not be able to see temperature and date at all. I will not be able to see navi, "since last charge" and the powermeter at the same time.
This is a reduction in functionality, just counting items...

Is it truly 7.0, which many of us expect will include some significant functionality increase, or another flavor of 6.x, with new graphics? Does the pop-up window show 7.0 along with the numerical dot version number? Are there release notes you can post?

It's perfectly reasonable to think that a few things could be happening here.

It could be that the car(s) got pushed an alpha of some sort accidentally, which was supposed to stay internal. Or maybe Telsa pushed out multiple variations of a console UI to different beta testing groups to get feedback on multiple designs (this is what I would do). Or maybe the "mode" the car was in (park) doesn't show the power meter. After all, why would you need it in park? (And yes, I saw the picture of the car in drive).

I'm not saying I disagree with the comments here. I prefer skeuomorphism, I want the power meter where it's at, and I'd rather see development effort go toward new functionality versus redesigning the (already pretty, IMHO) interface.

However, I'm going to reserve judgement until the release is actually out and I've put some mileage on it.

It's not like any of the comments here wouldn't be mentioned by the beta testers, or even the software people themselves. They drive Model S's too.

Ok, yeah I agree with this. But this is a forum and of course there's going to be a broad spectrum of opinions. My own is that I'm not too crazy about it. Not for the design style, but for the loss of functionality on the IC. I think it's perfectly reasonable to express that view now rather than waiting for the final form to be released and not have any of the changes incorporated. If TM hears our concerns now they will be open to changing the beta design more so than when it's in the final stages of development and release.

I don't have to use it to know that I don't like the way info has been hidden and rearranged on the IC.

Today I can see the navigation or radio in the left part of the screen, The speed, power and SOC in the middle. The trip counter with "Since last charge" on the right part. At the bottom I have lock-state, odometer, temperature time and date. In 7.0 I will not be able to see temperature and date at all. I will not be able to see navi, "since last charge" and the powermeter at the same time.

^This. I think it's a perfectly reasonable assessment given the info available. I hope that this is rectified before the final version rolls out.

Congratulations to your wife for being the first reported 7.0 in North America. Yes, screenshots please! You know the Model S as well as anyone so please post whatever you think we'd be interested in.

FWIW, she is the third reported 7.0 in North America. Many of the pictures earlier in the thread are from two different cars in California. One of which has beenrolled back and one has not reported a rollback

Off to the car...

Congrats! That's great news. I'm headed on a road trip on Wednesday and eagerly wishing for 7.0 in my car by then so I can have some time with it.

If if possible we would all appreciate screen shots and vide in action. Thx.

- - - Updated - - -

So we lost the powermeter in the centre, the Time, date and temp line at the bottom ?
I see all of these in the first few screen shots on the first page? Is it that the time/temporary are only visible with the clock on?

You have no idea. Those might have become user choices...like having the option to personalize your desktop. They might have been moved someplace else. They might show up at various times when driving...like a slideshow. Maybe they've become part of a menu that you scroll through. Yep, maybe they are gone.

I understand change can be difficult for some and that there's people who like what they like and everything else be damned. But you just might want to wait and see for yourself, use it a bit, and then judge how useful and effective it is for you. Sometimes we can be surprised in a good way and realize after the fact that the new way is a better way. You've not even bothered to keep an open mind. You've already decided.

And again, if it turns out that Tesla entirely missed the boat on this new version and it's received with worldwide contempt, I'd bet my own money that Tesla will respond to constructive input from customers (who have used it) and make necessary changes down the road....and at no charge to you. How freaking cool has it been for the last 3 years to have the car get better and how freaking cool will it be to have the car get better after firmware 7.0?

There has to be some sort of astrological phenomena going on because this forum has gone to 11 in negativity recently.

The beauty of it is that if something has been taken away or changed in the new version and people really miss it/don't like it/find it cumbersome or not useful, Tesla can put it back/make changes with an OTA update. So there's no need for anyone to panic or get bent out of shape at this point. The reasonable and logical thing to do is wait for it to be deployed, use it for awhile, AND THEN provide Tesla with constructive feedback.

Except, there are some things that should be obvious to Tesla that should not need owner feedback. Taking away information on which owners have become reliant and accustomed in the current software versions does not seem to make sense, especially when that information may be critical in order to achieve the longest range. I don't think, as an owner, that I should be put in a position of requesting that Tesla give me back something that I already had.

Screen shots of the display when the car is in Drive, please!

FWIW, she is the third reported 7.0 in North America. Many of the pictures earlier in the thread are from two different cars in California. One of which has been rolled back and one has not reported a rollback
I would recommend that anyone that gets 7.0 not accept any additional updates so it does not get rolled back. If I got it and then saw another update, I would wait until it had started being rolled out to everyone before I did another update.

You have no idea. Those might have become user choices...like having the option to personalize your desktop. They might have been moved someplace else. They might show up at various times when driving...like a slideshow. Maybe they've become part of a menu that you scroll through. Yep, maybe they are gone.

If that's the case, then the feedback we are providing won't be incorporated. If it isn't, then our feedback might make a difference. Either way, there is no harm in providing the feedback. Tesla can take it or not. It's up to them. Why are you trying to silence people from expressing their opinions?

I understand change can be difficult for some and that there's people who like what they like and everything else be damned.

That seems like a really harsh and unfair characterization of folks who are trying to give constructive feedback. Just because you disagree means that others have a problem with change, really? How does that line of reasoning work?

But you just might want to wait and see for yourself, use it a bit, and then judge how useful and effective it is for you.

Yes, we will all do that, but why should our ability to do that once the software rolls out negate our desire to provide opinions today based upon what we have seen? Multiple screen shots have been posted by multiple people, and the missing information we are talking about seems to be consistent across all of those screen shots. No sense in staying silent about things we see that are obvious omissions. Again, if Tesla has something else planned, then they can ignore this aspect of the feedback. But you shouldn't be advocating for people to stop discussing.

Sometimes we can be surprised in a good way and realize after the fact that the new way is a better way. You've not even bothered to keep an open mind. You've already decided.

Folks are just providing feedback. You seem to be the only one who has decided anything, and you seem to want to decide for others.

And again, if it turns out that Tesla entirely missed the boat on this new version and it's received with worldwide contempt...

Have you considered, then, that maybe some would like to save Tesla from suffering worldwide contempt? If you see that a train wreck is about to happen, do you try and stop the wreck or do you sit idly by hoping it won't happen?

There has to be some sort of astrological phenomena going on because this forum has gone to 11 in negativity recently.

To be honest, I find the only negativity in this thread coming from you. You seem more interested in picking apart other peoples' posts then you are in discussing the actual topic. If you don't agree with what someone said, maybe you should just move on instead of trying to pick arguments with those who have valuable contributions to make.

Firmware 7.0

@Krugerrand, I should know better than to mess with you ;) but, what's the harm in expressing opinions, negative (vehemently so) or positive? They are just opinions after all. It's impossible to please everyone, of course, particularly when it comes to any form of UI/UX but, if someone wants to vent, what's the harm?! :)

They just have to make a "nerd-mode".Packed with all kind of range-statistics and counters, and all will be quiet

Yep. I'd like a LOT more info please ;)

- Motor temp (current and historical graph)
- Battery temp (current and historical graph)
- HVAC power usage (current and historical graph)
- Battery warmer power usage (current, total (since start) and historical graph)
- Aux power usage (current, total (since start) and historical graph)
- Lifetime trip counter
- Avg. speed
- Current wh/km (instantaneous)
- Charging statistics (incl. percentage from SC, CHAdeMO and AC)

And probably even a LOT more that I didn't think about while writing this ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I would recommend that anyone that gets 7.0 not accept any additional updates so it does not get rolled back. If I got it and then saw another update, I would wait until it had started being rolled out to everyone before I did another update.

As it stands now, I'm not accepting any new updates because it might be 7.0. If they really remove the power meter from the centre display and trip A/B from the side bars I'll skip this one in hope of it returning later.

Hanging on blind to a piece of beta software makes no sense. If you got it accidentally it's much better to get in touch with Tesla; you might well be missing information on changes in driving characteristics or perhaps the next update is correcting a critical bug you don't know about.