Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removing heavily-used functionality from the main meter, however, is simply unacceptable.

I always try to put myself in their shoes before I comment. With addition of autopilot features, autopilot display info has got to go SOMEWHERE. They did not add new display(s) for it. So, it has to be jammed in with what's there, or displace something in the permanent display. No room to jam more stuff in... I would have concluded that as well. So... it appears it displaced the energy meter.

I too live by the energy meter and graph. And, the energy graph is permanently anchored on right side of my dash. Since they've presumably moved zero on the energy meter to left side, it will be very visible "almost center" if I keep the new combined energy display on my right dash. Just about 1/2" right of where it used to be. Anybody who feels strongly about having the energy meter always displayed can do likewise. Yes, you may be sacrificing a panel that you might have liked to use for something else. You've got 2 user configurable in the dash, and 2 user configurable in the center display. That's 2 more than any other car I've had, so try to be happy! I'm sure it will continue to be refined.

That's all apart from the critique of "flat". That's a matter of taste, not function.... should be totally separate yelling/kicking/screaming thread.

I'm sure they are waiting with bated breath for your call.

Well, frankly, they should be. I don't think you quite get it. Tesla Engineering's Software department has been very bad at listening to information coming from outside their department, even from their own service centers (and that's according to the service center people).

We've been told that Tesla watches these forums. As they should. And credit to the hardware engineers, there's solid evidence that some of them are really paying attention. But does the Software department in particular actually pay attention? I mean, there's been a wishlist of little tiny bug fixes and minor features for the software up here on this board for *ages*. Most of them haven't been fixed, but the software department feels that it should redesign the main dashboard which people bought the car with? Huh?

I too live by the energy meter and graph. And, the energy graph is permanently anchored on right side of my dash. Since they've presumably moved zero on the energy meter to left side, it will be very visible "almost center" if I keep the new combined energy display on my right dash. Just about 1/2" right of where it used to be. Anybody who feels strongly about having the energy meter always displayed can do likewise. Yes, you may be sacrificing a panel that you might have liked to use for something else. You've got 2 user configurable in the dash, and 2 user configurable in the center display. That's 2 more than any other car I've had, so try to be happy! I'm sure it will continue to be refined.

+1

I also have the energy graph on the right side of the IC, and keep a close eye on the energy meter to avoid too many back-and-forths between high regen and high usage (not good for range).

I'm also confident that if the final 7.0 release isn't satisfactory for a majority of customers, the feedback will be heard loud & clear and Tesla will update accordingly. They DO listen to (and read) customer feedback, trust me!

I think even if it does bring new features, but has that ugly UI, it'll be a failure in my book. I really, really hate the flat, "minimalist" look on my iPhone, hate it on my Windows 10 PC and don't like what I'm seeing here. I suppose I should simmer down until I actually see it in person, but I'm not optimistic.

+1 Huh messages have to be more than 2 chars. OK decreasing s/n ratio with padding so I can just say "+1"

You're absolutely wrong here. By the time the "final release" comes out, it'll be too late. Tesla will be committed emotionally and financially to it, whether or not it's a complete pile of crap. There are a gazillion examples of this in the history of the software industry, though Windows 8 is probably the most famous.

Complain NOW. That gives the best chance of the final release actually being decent.

*sigh* I guess I have to call this week.

OK, so what am I supposed to do? Call them up and say "Hey, so apparently we got a glimpse of software that isn't yet finalized running on some cars before you had the images pulled, and I have to say: I'm not happy"?

The looks are not to my liking, but from all I've heard, that's gonna be about what it is. The loss of the energy graph, time and temperature are what most annoy me, but until I see that it is a final decision not part of unfinished software that mistakenly made its way into the wild, I'm not gonna lose sleep.

and improved navigation with multiple waypoints.

Tagging onto this, I'd also like to set the starting and ending point on the Nav-- IOW, only default to "current location" when I want it to (sure, which is most of the time). But there are lots of time while I'm supercharging I'd like to investigate routing for future routes/plans during down/idle time. I'm not always starting from my current location.

I would also like Speed Assist to come to non-AP cars because that information is already in the navigation database.

Yes! I've asked them for this, but I don't think it's coming for us... it seems to be integrated with the TACC/AP code branch which we don't get access to. :(

I'm willing to reserve final judgement until the production firmware is released, but someone upthread said "try it out first before complaining" -- the problem is, there is no downgrade path! So if it's horrible, you're stuck with it.

But as a software developer, I don't think Tesla would spend the time to develop what seems to be a "mostly-baked" version of their firmware that got pushed to real cars and still works! From what I can tell, a few people still have 7.0 and haven't been downgraded yet? If this version was truly "half-baked", it could be a serious life-and-death safety and liability issue to release it to cars that are not part of a closed beta program, and Tesla would retract these installed ASAP. That's why I believe that it's much further along than we want to believe it is. And I'd love to be wrong here.

Given the significant user experience changes that it looks like we're going to see in 7.0, I wonder if there will be a different upgrade protocol? I can see myself scheduling an upgrade overnight, getting into the car at 5:30am in an under-caffeinated state, and finding that everything's different. Not the best time for me to be learning a new interface.

It echoes back to the requested feature of being able to tell what's in the upgrade before you commit to it. But that would be un-Tesla-like, I suppose.

I can understand trying to optimize the display for autopilot functions, but there are more than 50,000 Model S on the road without autopilot hardware. I would hope that our needs are taken into consideration too and we don't lose functionality just so the software can be consistent with autopilot cars.

That's only because you didn't upgrade to an autopilot car and then have to wait a year for the update you paid for. There is nothing higher on my firmware wish list than autopilot lane keeping.

Of course. Everyone's list will depend on their individual needs. I don't have autopilot, but I am a busy Realtor. Having the ability to enter multiple destinations into the navigation system is far more useful to me than Autopilot or an updated UI look/feel.

- - - Updated - - -

We've been told that Tesla watches these forums. As they should. And credit to the hardware engineers, there's solid evidence that some of them are really paying attention. But does the Software department in particular actually pay attention? I mean, there's been a wishlist of little tiny bug fixes and minor features for the software up here on this board for *ages*. Most of them haven't been fixed, but the software department feels that it should redesign the main dashboard which people bought the car with? Huh?

I've been of the opinion that Tesla should get the basics right before it launches into a UI redesign. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that Tesla was trying to distract us all from the fact that it can't seem to figure out how to fix the navigation system and media player. "Look here at this new UI skin... don't look over there..." lol

- - - Updated - - -

I can understand trying to optimize the display for autopilot functions, but there are more than 50,000 Model S on the road without autopilot hardware. I would hope that our needs are taken into consideration too and we don't lose functionality just so the software can be consistent with autopilot cars.

Except almost all of Tesla's sales focus is on AWD and Autopilot.