Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After updating my classic P85+ last night, I have to say that I like new interface. I am with those who would like to keep few pieces information that were removed from the screens, as I would've preferred to keep them, particularly HVAC system information that was displayed right in the top area of the HVAC control strip at the bottom of the display, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

I like the fact that display screens have a sharper look to them and seem to have a better resolution. Both NAV display on the center screen and especially on the instrument cluster are improved, with greater clarity and more information shown (lets hope that NAV accuracy improved as well - like a lot of others I had a few quite weird route suggestions).

A better accelerator resolution near 0 speeds is a huge improvement for me - my driveway sloping up into the garage, which is rather tight, so I need to enter at a very low speed as I am maneuvering into it with very little space on the sides. The car used to shudder a bit every time I entered/exited from the garage. The update fixed this problem for me - the speed control around 0 is now very smooth and precise, and in two exits and one entrance since the update did not shudder.

I've also noticed that rated miles display of the battery seemingly does not reflect additional 17 miles of buffer that used to be deducted from the available range display of the battery. For now it is based on one trip only, so I need to verify this in coming days. Did anybody notice this change?

Man... I've been saying I don't care about parking sensor & AP, but watching all these videos of it in use really makes me jealous... I feel like Buck Nasty at the Playa Haters Ball... You Dave Chappelle Show fans know what I'm talkin' about... hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.... :tongue:

Having just rewatched that skit on CC the other day, I LOL'd.

Installled 2.7.56 last night. I have an S85 VIN 509XX. Release notes mention torque sleep and improved efficiency. The acceleration seems more responsive (as though the "gas" pedal was easier to push down) and the regen seems weaker, at least at low speeds.

I had heard that cars with VINs above 50900 had the new TPMS which would have allowed on-screen display of tire pressures under v7. Unfortunately, even though mine fits that (supposedly) new TPMS category (VIN above 50900), I do not have any tire pressure display on either of the car's screens. I know it's not really a "loss" because it's something I never had in the first place but man, I would have loved to get those on-screen tire pressure readings. We can talk about efficiency and range improvements all we want but nothing says efficiency like well-monitored / properly inflated tires. I guess I'm stuck with my old-fashioned tire gauge and freezing my fingers off in the winter...

I hear you. Even worse for first few thousand people but I still look at it as a great car. Sure I didn't have folding mirrors, parking sensors (upgraded those later actually)....etc but the car is exactly what I ordered. I'd love to have AP features but don't that that is significant enough to upgrade to a P90D with little improvement in range. I think I'll wait a few years until something like a P110D comes out. That way you get all the improvements over the next 2-3 years and the increased range and hopefully acceleration too.

My thoughts too -- though I was indeed disappointed we didn't get the performance improvements as well.

I think after a few weeks every will get the feel for this 7.0. I love it.

IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG

Here are my first thoughts on V7.0. I just finished a drive to a weekly meeting I have about 50 miles from home. The new UI was better than I thought. I do miss the old trip counter with trip a and b on the dash. The little car on the dash is not as distracting as I thought. One thing about it though is for those of us with MC Red it is hard to see the brakelights lighting up on the dash car model. They do light up but are lost in the glory of MC Red:biggrin:. The apps on the center screen do seem to be quicker, so much so that I am writing this post using the MS browser. The in dash nav is a distinct improvement, now if they would only update the maps(Please Tesla, there are major holes in my area maps, my Garmin is up to date, so should my MS!)!

Overall I am pleased with the new OS. Oh sure I would like some of the newer goodies,, but minus my concern listed above it seems a genuine improvement.

Peace,

Father Bill

Last edited:
One observation that I noticed this morning that I haven't seen anyone else mention:

When you have Nav guidance active and Nav is giving you an upcoming turn direction, the pop up window blocks the remaining range display.

Otherwise, it's generally in line with my expectations, i.e. It's terrible. It's not as bad as I was afraid it would be because they left some of the old stuff in place, but everything they changed they made worse.

Not sure if this has been discussed, beyond just a mention, but there clearly is a longer period of time between "polling" with regards to the dash's energy/efficiency meter. When it used to update almost regularly, it now seems to update only about every 0.1 kWh. I suppose this was done to free up computing resources, which makes sense and I'm OK with; as that has certainly been achieved.

OK...I emailed Tesla about the inclusion/exclusion of certain features (RWD performance and zero speed improvements) among different RWD cars. They acknowledged that some cars don't get the features, and said it was due to "model year differences". So, in my quoted post above, looks like the reason the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements is choice "b" - some element(s) of our drivetrain won't allow for those improvements, so we aren't getting them.

i guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but I was really looking forward to it! Still a great car, but never would have bought it when I did if I knew what was coming less than 90 days later!

Signed,
-Early Adopter that doesn't feel right selling a $90k+ car after a year or two

Yeah, that's kind of a kick in the ass.

I didn't have time to read all 24 pages, but I'm pretty disappointed. No performance improvement that was in the beta version (however infinitesimal at least no mention of it in release notes) and no tire pressure readout. :(

I guess torque sleep is neat.

Last edited:
OK...I emailed Tesla about the inclusion/exclusion of certain features (RWD performance and zero speed improvements) among different RWD cars. They acknowledged that some cars don't get the features, and said it was due to "model year differences". So, in my quoted post above, looks like the reason the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements is choice "b" - some element(s) of our drivetrain won't allow for those improvements, so we aren't getting them.
My S was built in Dec 2013. Got V7 yesterday and went for a drive. It feels like the very low speed pedal control is improved, it is smoother and even easier to modulate than before. Others have posted the same. The release notes say that is the case.
So I think it is likely incorrect to say "the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements". What we don't seem to know is exactly which early "classic" cars are not getting them.
I love having a "classic" S [emoji3] but expect that at some point in the future I will have an AP D version. In the meantime, my "classic" just keeps getting better. Thank you Tesla!