Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on your exact hardware, I think we'll see. There's no doubt that early cars like mine get neither hill hold enhancement, nor power train performance - tho we do get torque sleep (efficiency at stop).

At least per my release notes, I got hill hold and performance enhancement with torque sleep and my VIN is 001267 (Dec. 2012 delivery)

- - - Updated - - -

At least per my release notes, I got hill hold and performance enhancement with torque sleep and my VIN is 001267 (Dec. 2012 delivery)

correction, my notes do not state hill hold, just the torque sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

correction, my notes do not state hill hold, just the torque sleep.

Good. I was about to get torqued up about hill hold. :)

f7b62dd9d9becf1c73eaef2bdcf9d8f5.jpg

I don't think you guys need to specify which VIN you have. There are 2 categories only: Classic and AP cars with 2 release notes only based on which car you have.

1- Classic:
Round speedo
No change with hill assist
No tire pressure monitoring
No PERFORMANCE torque sleep

2- AP:
Road simulation/animation and different energy app and no round speedo
Well... everything the classic doesn't have.

My quick review. Excuse the salty language. I hate this update so much.

I got it and installed it last night. I dislike it, but not as much as I thought I would...but that's only because they kept the "compass ring" speedo/energy meter combo for "classic" cars.

Everything they changed, they made worse...with one exception that I've found.

In no particular order:

1. They moved the "range" and battery icon from front-and-center below the speed readout to the lower left of the display. And they made both smaller. Now you can't really use the battery icon to tell how much juice you've got left. The miles are still visible, at least until Nav gives you a course direction, in which case the whole thing is obscured.

This is colossally stupid. The range display is, IMHO, the most important single readout in the entire ****ing car.

2. They replaced the range readout with a pictogram of the car. It's brake lights and turn signals really light up! This will amuse my 5 year old. It provides literally no useful information that isn't already conveyed more clearly somewhere else.

Oh, and they also replaced it with the odometer. I look at that maybe once a month? But glad to see it occupying a valuable piece of real estate.

3. The "selectable" energy display in the instrument cluster has lost all fidelity. There are no number gradations on it anymore. You get the same graph you've always gotten, but what does the graph mean? You're left to guess. It does still tell you what your average wattage use is, but that's the only number on the thing.

4. Time/date/temp are all gone from the instrument cluster. Temp and time are in the 17" display. Day/date is just gone, unless you look at the calendar icon, but that doesn't tell you the day.

5. The new flat UI looks like ass. Maybe it gives a performance benefit? It looks like something a ****ing Amiga would have displayed. I guess this is modern and stylish, though, because Jony Ive is a jerk.

6. Some folks are upset about changes to the trip meter and the climate control display. I don't really use either so they don't bug me, except on principle.

7. The clock "app." I think this must be a joke on Tesla's part. Or a troll. No one could think this looks good.

So what's the one thing that works better? When you set the media controls to full screen, they have more utility than they did before. I never do that, so I don't care, but I guess some people do?

Whatever. It's really annoyingly stupid that they've made my car worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not received the update yet and I hope I get it this weekend.

Looks like whole forum is flooded with auto pilot (feature) questions? The rest of the forum is about Model X and Classic MS owners are minority now.

Are we being ignored or forgotten:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Just wondering if you still have the ability to use the scroll wheels for left and right dash screens. I usually adjust the fan speed on the right and the audio volume on the left.

ditto

- - - Updated - - -

7. The clock "app." I think this must be a joke on Tesla's part. Or a troll. No one could think this looks good.

Worst clock design ever...Come on Tesla you can do better

Got mine last night though did not thoroughly assess it and had to leave town this am before testing it out. Hope I am not as disappointed as you. I am a tad worried.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we've moved to the back of the bus. Now I know how the Raodster owners felt when Model S came out. It had to happen. Almost makes you want to to buy a new one (though not quite). Still love my 2013 Model S with LOT'S of happy miles on it.

1. They moved the "range" and battery icon from front-and-center below the speed readout to the lower left of the display. And they made both smaller. Now you can't really use the battery icon to tell how much juice you've got left. The miles are still visible, at least until Nav gives you a course direction, in which case the whole thing is obscured.

This is colossally stupid. The range display is, IMHO, the most important single readout in the entire ****ing car.

I don't want to debate the overall change on the UI as its clearly because they had to modify it a lot to make room for the AP interface that we don't have. Then they did not completed the work on our version, its visible that there is some smoothing missing.

BUT

I disagree on the range readout as being the most significant readout of the entire car. Unless you're on a roadtrip (where you use the map and check your range) then for daily driving its entirely useless, it could be remove altogether. I almost never check the range and even don't charge every day, maybe after 2 years of ownership the range anxiety fade that much... The only thing I do is check range / plug the charger in the evening if I know I need unusual range or because arriving home I noticed I was getting below 50%.

Even more, the green battery icon is not that precise, the rated range has at least more graduation (0-415 km) instead of 0-100%

After 100km of driving, I found that having the clock on the left, media on the right and the map full screen on the 17 inches screen works okay. Could be a bit better but I will get used to it.

I'm really dreading this update. I use the information in the HVAC frequently to determine what vents are active and if the AC is activated. I look at that literally every time I get into the car to see if the settings are appropriate for my drive (mornings have defrost and heat, afternoons are frequently fan only, or my wife my have driven last and changed things from my norms). Having to open that up every single time I get in the car is going to be a thorn in my side that just gets more annoying with time.

I haven't seen a picture that didn't have HVAC on auto...so maybe those symbols will be there? Doesn't sound like it from the other folks posting.

I also really liked the temp on the driving console. I used that every single morning in winter going over the hill to work to see if we're getting near the ice point since the temp drops a few degrees at the top. Glancing at the driver's console is much better than glancing at the center console.

I also used the date/time glance on the driver's console frequently, particularly if I'm trying to be somewhere at a specific time. I should only have to look at the center console if I need to interact. Things that don't require interaction should be visible on the driver's console. Even then, I try really hard to map the interactive things I used most to the buttons on the steering wheel (volume, fan speed).

The center console is nice and all, but I try not to use it while in motion. I can glance at my driver's console and still have the road in front of me in my overall vision. I can't really do that with the center console.

I don't feel like I can refuse updates and just never update the software ever, ever again. That doesn't seem to be a realistic long term option.

1- For some of the apps, why are there 2 different versions, one for the AP and another for the classic cars?...The energy app
Agree, this bugs me because the non-AP versions look unfinished, but I assume 7.1 will clean things up and unify the UIs. My guess is they did not want to delay the AP deployment just to clean up UI elements as they are coming up on the 1-year mark since AP was announced

b. The TMPS app, which doesn't even exist in the older Model S: Why? Even if there were different TMPSs for the newer cars, it's not an impossible add-on. From my understanding, TPMSs are all the same in the end. I bet many AP owners bought TPMSs from TireRack. Did they have issues reading or accessing the app?
My SA told me there is a difference in the HW of older cars that does not allow them to differentiate and localize TPMS signals, so it cannot tell which wheel a given TPMS signal is associated with

3- Hill assist. This is purely software! How come AP cars can have theirs remain engaged and we don't?
AP cars have a different electromechanical system than non-AP cars; assuming this is why they get "infinite" hold.

5- The analogue clock app is useless.
Yup

I don't want to debate the overall change on the UI as its clearly because they had to modify it a lot to make room for the AP interface that we don't have. Then they did not completed the work on our version, its visible that there is some smoothing missing.

BUT

I disagree on the range readout as being the most significant readout of the entire car. Unless you're on a roadtrip (where you use the map and check your range) then for daily driving its entirely useless, it could be remove altogether. I almost never check the range and even don't charge every day, maybe after 2 years of ownership the range anxiety fade that much... The only thing I do is check range / plug the charger in the evening if I know I need unusual range or because arriving home I noticed I was getting below 50%.

Even more, the green battery icon is not that precise, the rated range has at least more graduation (0-415 km) instead of 0-100%

After 100km of driving, I found that having the clock on the left, media on the right and the map full screen on the 17 inches screen works okay. Could be a bit better but I will get used to it.

I suppose you're right--for most of my trips, range is not that important. When it is, though, it's REALLY important.

I read through all 27 pages (so far) and got my update as well. Not too excited nor disappointed. They shuffled some things around, that's fine. Not sure I can feel a difference in AC performance. If anything I felt it was improved a lot with the previous firmware a few months ago.

No mention of the improved performance or throttle response for my RWD. Would have been nice, but at the same time, my car goes perfectly smooth at near 0 speed. I haven't had a car that had such great fine-control near 0. So I don't any improvement was possible. So the only thing left would be the performance boost. Oh well, I never felt my Model S didn't have enough power. :)

My car was delivered & produced March 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose you're right--for most of my trips, range is not that important. When it is, though, it's REALLY important.

Agreed. But that's when I use the energy graph and trip graph on the big screen. Those two are the key to a successful road trip where range is critical.

Just installed V7 on my 60... I recall seeing in beta notes that the 60 will have heavier regen and better performance (acceleration). However, those notes are missing in the official release. Hmmmm

Yes, those regen & performance notes not showing up on my 60 too. This is a disappointment as I thought Tesla was going to show us some love too - guess not.

Clock app is terrible. Just show a digital quick glance clock beside the gear like before!? Brake lights on toy car is interesting. I had to turn up the brightness a bit to see everything clearly, but it looks like a good interface.

I haven't seen a picture that didn't have HVAC on auto...so maybe those symbols will be there? Doesn't sound like it from the other folks posting.

Just checked--when you set manual settings, the label right above "Climate" changes from "auto" to "custom", but it seems like you'll have to hit the button to see the specific settings--prob not the answer you wanted.

CA_10161509230924-L.jpg

Last edited:
The clock app is worthless and can only hope it was made quickly as a way of testing out an upcoming SDK or something. Looks and functions like a javascript demo.

Nice. If there's one reason to like the fugly clock, it's this. (fingers crossed you're right!).

I couldn't agree more!! I've taken a dozen long (>1000 miles) road trips, and I'm watching that big number in the center CONSTANTLY comparing that to distance to destination and current Wh/m to gauge just how much I can hit (or hold back on) the "go pedal".

My quick review. Excuse the salty language. I hate this update so much.

I got it and installed it last night. I dislike it, but not as much as I thought I would...but that's only because they kept the "compass ring" speedo/energy meter combo for "classic" cars.

Everything they changed, they made worse...with one exception that I've found.

In no particular order:

2. They replaced the range readout with a pictogram of the car. It's brake lights and turn signals really light up! This will amuse my 5 year old. It provides literally no useful information that isn't already conveyed more clearly somewhere else.

Oh, and they also replaced it with the odometer. I look at that maybe once a month? But glad to see it occupying a valuable piece of real estate.

3. The "selectable" energy display in the instrument cluster has lost all fidelity. There are no number gradations on it anymore. You get the same graph you've always gotten, but what does the graph mean? You're left to guess. It does still tell you what your average wattage use is, but that's the only number on the thing.

4. Time/date/temp are all gone from the instrument cluster. Temp and time are in the 17" display. Day/date is just gone, unless you look at the calendar icon, but that doesn't tell you the day.

5. The new flat UI looks like ass. Maybe it gives a performance benefit? It looks like something a ****ing Amiga would have displayed. I guess this is modern and stylish, though, because Jony Ive is a jerk.

6. Some folks are upset about changes to the trip meter and the climate control display. I don't really use either so they don't bug me, except on principle.

So what's the one thing that works better? When you set the media controls to full screen, they have more utility than they did before. I never do that, so I don't care, but I guess some people do?

Whatever. It's really annoyingly stupid that they've made my car worse.

Will you marry me? I really like your #5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked--when you set manual settings, the label right above "Climate" changes from "auto" to "custom", but it seems like you'll have to hit the button to see the specific settings--prob not the answer you wanted.
Well, I wanted to know what it did, so I suppose It's the answer I wanted :wink:

Just not the functionality. Seriously, that HVAC display change is going to piss me off every god damned day. :cursing: It already sucks to have to click 3 times whenever I want to change a stupid venting scheme (open, change, close). That's horrible UI design. Let's take the driver's eyes off the road for multiple screen interactions to do a common thing...stupid. Now, let's take that really stupid HVAC UI and make it even less useful!

Tesla seems to completely lack on software usability engineers. There's a fairly long rant list I've got on how the UI makes you click so many damn times for everything. The most basic UI 101 is reduce click counts on common functionality.

Maybe I will refuse the update forever. I've yet to read of anything in this update that actually adds value.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more!! I've taken a dozen long (>1000 miles) road trips, and I'm watching that big number in the center CONSTANTLY comparing that to distance to destination and current Wh/m to gauge just how much I can hit (or hold back on) the "go pedal".

Really ? I just compare the GPS distance left to the energy graph Estimated Range left (based on actual consumption). Both are on the 17 inches screen.

Really ? I just compare the GPS distance left to the energy graph Estimated Range left (based on actual consumption). Both are on the 17 inches screen.

Yes, I also use the energy "Trip" graph on the touchscreen for %remaining. I never found the "estimated range" on the average energy graph to be accurate enough for my tastes... it bounces around way too much to be useful to me.

If there's no significant weather, I just take the remaining distance on the Nav, add 20% (or sometimes 25% if there is traffic/weather) and compare that to the battery rated range. This formula has always worked for me. If the two numbers are very close, I slow down a bit until I get rated range up to my target 120% of Nav distance.