Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, those regen & performance notes not showing up on my 60 too. This is a disappointment as I thought Tesla was going to show us some love too - guess not.

Clock app is terrible. Just show a digital quick glance clock beside the gear like before!? Brake lights on toy car is interesting. I had to turn up the brightness a bit to see everything clearly, but it looks like a good interface.

yeah. Oh well. According to some posts the old cars aren't compatible with performance enhancements. I haven't yet had a member with a newer 60 confirm that he has the performance enhancement release notes. Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't.

I've decided that I will NOT be updating, after seeing a Friends Classic in person. Future service visits will be accompanied with a warning, "If you update the firmware to the new design, which causes reduced functionality, and materially effects the functionality of the vehicle I purchased, I will refuse acceptance upon completion of the service".

If its set on average and not instant its pretty exact and doesnt bounce. I made multiple long distance drives, like Montreal to Miama, twice, and for highway driving its very accurate, I usually run it down to 5 mi left (sometimes 0).

Well, my experience is fastly different. It's never accurate and constantly changes. Yes, it's on 'average' and not 'instant' and '30 miles'.

I installed it. Bit of a problem because after two hours it didn't finish and I had to do the brake, get out of the car, get back in the car, and reboot the display to make it work. (This happened with the last 6.x upgrade too). And while it's not as bad as I feared, they really made some bonehead decisions. I really think it should be a requirement that the designers should at least drive the Model S. I'm afraid these guys haven't even seen a picture of it.

I'm actually kind of glad I don't have autopilot because the Classic display isn't ruined quite as bad (although it's bad enough).

Really ? I just compare the GPS distance left to the energy graph Estimated Range left (based on actual consumption). Both are on the 17 inches screen.

I mean, I call that up from time to time. But if I'm on a road-trip, chances are I've got the map up on the top half of the screen and the media app on the bottom half, so having the Estimated Range up would require me to displace one of those. Plus I usually don't need THAT much detail; as HLR says, I can normally just use the clicking down of the remaining miles to accomplish my purpose.

I'll still be able to do that, I realize. They've just made it harder, for no reason. And all they've provided me instead is a picture of the car I'm driving.

On THAT point, one more gripe. Well, two. First, has anyone noticed that the turn signals only show up on the toy car if the brake lights aren't on? Second, the brake lights are so small and hard to see that even if I cared to know whether my brake lights are on (which I don't, really), I'd have to stare at the damn thing and squint.

While braking.

You can see the problem with that, particularly in a car without TACC.

Now that I've spent more time with V7 in my Dec 2013 non-P car, I am liking the new UI more and more:

The information presented is overall clearer and easier to read. For example, at the top of the center display the temp and time lettering has more contrast because the background is darker. Before my wife had a hard time reading it (she always asked me what the temp number was) but now she can see it.

The Trips app in the drivers display is much better, more relevant, useful and easier to understand. All the info that it used to show is still available in the center display.

The Nav app in the drivers display is improved because it shows a larger area.

The battery icon and remaining range number in the drivers display is still easy to read, plus the increased contrast for the range number is appreciated.

The climate controls at the bottom of the center display are clearer.

Very low speed pedal control is definitely improved.

I actually like the "toy car" display in the speedo. I don't see any negatives to having it there.

The center display is definitely faster and more responsive.

I like the "flat" look. I do not like skeumorphic designs, they are archaic and convey no useful added information. I was happy when Apple moved away from them. So last century.

Overall a great improvement for the "classic" S. Thanks Tesla!

I see no need to call anyone "a dick" due to design preferences.

Last edited:
After updating my classic P85+ last night, I have to say that I like new interface. I am with those who would like to keep few pieces information that were removed from the screens, as I would've preferred to keep them, particularly HVAC system information that was displayed right in the top area of the HVAC control strip at the bottom of the display, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

I like the fact that display screens have a sharper look to them and seem to have a better resolution. Both NAV display on the center screen and especially on the instrument cluster are improved, with greater clarity and more information shown (lets hope that NAV accuracy improved as well - like a lot of others I had a few quite weird route suggestions).

A better accelerator resolution near 0 speeds is a huge improvement for me - my driveway sloping up into the garage, which is rather tight, so I need to enter at a very low speed as I am maneuvering into it with very little space on the sides. The car used to shudder a bit every time I entered/exited from the garage. The update fixed this problem for me - the speed control around 0 is now very smooth and precise, and in two exits and one entrance since the update did not shudder.
Interesting that you got the acceleration change with VIN in the 13,000's and I didn't get it with VIN in the 15,000's. Maybe it's a P vs. non-P thing.

I'm confused about "performance enhancements for RWD cars". I have a 2013 P85 and I did not receive any notes regarding performance enhancement, just improved efficiency with torque sleep. I also did not receive any notes regarding changed throttle response at low speed, which has never really been a problem anyway. This update had very little for me and I'm a bit disappointed. No TPMS readouts for early cars, really? No performance enhancement? No brake hold? This is the first time in my ownership experience when I've felt left behind. I suppose it was inevitable.

I just installed the update and I think the new UI does look good. Very sleek and high contrast. The battery icon and range indication are functional but I did prefer them in the main cluster and larger. It doesn't seem to be as bad as some have described IMO. I was disappointed in not getting a performance upgrade although in all honesty I would be unable to really even tell as I think I've really only floored the car 3-4 times in total. It's nice to get something new.

I'm confused about "performance enhancements for RWD cars". I have a 2013 P85 and I did not receive any notes regarding performance enhancement, just improved efficiency with torque sleep. I also did not receive any notes regarding changed throttle response at low speed, which has never really been a problem anyway. This update had very little for me and I'm a bit disappointed. No TPMS readouts for early cars, really? No performance enhancement? No brake hold? This is the first time in my ownership experience when I've felt left behind. I suppose it was inevitable.
My thinking in the lead-up to V7: "I don't have Autopilot, but it looks like we're getting improved efficiency, a performance boost, and hopefully a resolution for the clunky near-0 mph behavior! It's awesome Tesla hasn't forgotten about us."
Today after installing V7: "Oh. :crying:"

Can confirm my 25k VIN received only the efficiency-enhancing torque sleep. No performance or throttle behavior improvements noted. I'm sure those were likely to be minor, and I probably wouldn't have noticed, but still... ouch.

Just looking at the speedometer gauge, completely mismatched from every other UI change, can leave no doubt that we're owners of firmly 2nd-class (or lower) vehicles. Clearly not the end of the world, still a great car, but disappointing.

Side note: I wonder what changed that allows for improved performance with the P85 AP-enabled cars. I had an all-new drivetrain put in back in January, so it doesn't seem to be that. Updated battery?

Yes, I also use the energy "Trip" graph on the touchscreen for %remaining. I never found the "estimated range" on the average energy graph to be accurate enough for my tastes... it bounces around way too much to be useful to me.

If there's no significant weather, I just take the remaining distance on the Nav, add 20% (or sometimes 25% if there is traffic/weather) and compare that to the battery rated range. This formula has always worked for me. If the two numbers are very close, I slow down a bit until I get rated range up to my target 120% of Nav distance.

Well said. Losing the range when the map is up makes me wish I could go back to version 6. Having a pre autopilot and old TPMS sensors version 7 does nothing for me.

Side note: I wonder what changed that allows for improved performance with the P85 AP-enabled cars. I had an all-new drivetrain put in back in January, so it doesn't seem to be that. Updated battery?

I received a new DU in February that was brand new from the factory, no performance enhancement for me. I'm thinking it might have to do with the battery revision? I have a B pack. Someone in a FB group told me "don't be jelly" about not having Autopilot. I have to tell you, I was far more excited about a potential performance enhancement and TPMS readouts than I was envious of anyone who has Autopilot. I'm disappointed that we aren't even getting the "little things". And now I have a MC Red emoji car in the center of my speedo that is a big patch of red - can't see when the brake lights are turning on, looks like a 1-pixel wide strip of "lights" at the most. Maybe those with 'retina' speedos are getting better fidelity, but I don't like it.