Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "classic" S was at my local Service Center yesterday for a few issues and while there got the V7.0 (2.9.12) update. I assume that is the current version for the non-AP "classic" S cars. Correct?
Potentially. The first 2.9.40 rollout was yesterday to an AP-car. It could just be that your service center just hadn't downloaded 2.9.40 to their systems yet. I think we need to wait another week to see how rollouts go before we can deep .40 AP-only and thus, .12 the latest available to Classics.

My Classic S85 was updated to 2.9.40 today by the SvC. Thus, this cannot be an AP-only release.

♫All I want for Christmas is YOU...

S25k.jpg

♫All I want for Christmas is YOU...

View attachment 104401
That's exactly how my instrument cluster looks - except that I always have the brilliant A/B trip meters with all that useful information on the right side...
But yeah, the nice, big battery meter with the range smack bang in the center, the easy to understand energy graph... I have all those :)

(sorry, couldn't resist but realize that I should have)

Having an evolving car is not an experience that everyone can adapt to.
My wife needs things to be familiar, and function in a familiar manner.

So, backwards compatibility modes in the user experience and vehicle
operation will be increasingly important as the customer base widens
beyond the technically tolerant early adopters ... like to family-tasked
Model X drivers.

To come out to a "new" car is a thrill for some of us, but an annoyance
for others (where are the new bugs in old functions), and an absolute
terror and show-stopper for my wife.

The usability of the UI includes simple things like contrast, font size,
analog vs. digital perception, one-glance use, sufficient information, etc.

These fundamental concepts seem to have been forgotten in the
recent re-style of the UI. Sure, the AP display has lane lines and
is rumored to be evolving to show other nearby objects, but the UI
usability has taken a severe, and unnecessary hit. Keeping compatibility
modes is not that difficult, and downgrading ledgibility is ... a poor choice.

At first I wasn't sure the criticism was warranted, but having driven in a 7.0 car, I agree that temperature needs to be both on the IC and the MCU. The passengers cannot access this info otherwise and it did come up in conversation with passengers without me raising the subject.

Looks like a bunch of us had that setup.

Although I actually prefer the new trip meter display that has both "This Trip", and "Since Last Charge" breakouts. I find that a more useful set of oft-referred-to-at-a-glance data than the Trip A & B meters, which I use only occasionally. Thus I don't mind the A & B meters being available in the center console instead.