Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alysashley79, did you check to see if you had the TPMS dash widget?

Thanks for any info. I have an email into my SC to get info on a TPMS upgrade but your experience may give me better guidance.

Peace,

Father Bill

nope nothing! But I wonder if it's not something they even pushed to us non ap cars. Would be interesting to see if a newer non ap car has it. I did notice that unless the door is actually open the seat belt detector just chimes as usual and doesn't show on screen like it's supposed to so I'm hoping/wondering if this is a bug in this iteration of 7.0 and it will come.

Didn't play around with it too much yet but 2 items that I'd like to see changed in case a Tesla is reading:
1. Really don't like that they removed the text under the icons on the top of the center screen. I had to sit for a few seconds to figure out how to get to the media screen. I'm used to reading, not relying on just the icons. The lack of text will likely make the center screen navigation less intuitive to new drivers/potential buyers. It's just another thing to figure out for the user.
2. This is a small thing but I don't like the picture of the car in the center gauge. Just seems unnecessary.

2013 P85 Classic #21451 just got 2.7.56 As I've written before,

I like seeing an analog clock, so that's a +
I appreciate the quick lock/unlock, so that's a +
The larger icons - those that are larger - are worthy of a +
I'll take Tesla's word that both the A/C and the drive unit efficiencies have been improved, so that accounts for another +

But I cannot locate the cherished Trip A/B data I've amassed since Day 1, so there's a - . At least until they reappear.

2013 P85 Classic #21451 just got 2.7.56 As I've written before,

I like seeing an analog clock, so that's a +
I appreciate the quick lock/unlock, so that's a +
The larger icons - those that are larger - are worthy of a +
I'll take Tesla's word that both the A/C and the drive unit efficiencies have been improved, so that accounts for another +

But I cannot locate the cherished Trip A/B data I've amassed since Day 1, so there's a - . At least until they reappear.

trip meters are still there on the main screen. Under "trips"

Got a notification on my phone that a software update failed. Went down to check and the car says the same thing. Only problem is I never got an Update Available notification or scheduled an update.

Anyone else see anything like this? The message said it would notify me again if there were more updates in the future. It appears the 7.0 gods have not smiled upon me.

Just completed my upgrade. I liked the new look since I first saw the leaked beta images. That being said, the version of the UI in the non-AP cars seems unfinished--most notably, some of the graphic elements just seem to hang in space, the whole thing does not have a cohesive feel yet. Looking at 7.0 in the MX test rides, the whole UI looked more cleanly put together.

So. I have to say. Some HUGE improvements that nobody seems to applaud here.

1). The lack of 3D skeumorphism to the center screen means that the NAV display and media displays are much larger overall. Add to that the fact that the NAV also "underlaps" the search bar and you have an extremely big improvement to the overall amount of data being displayed.

2) unlock is huge - and moving the temp display slightly to the right because of this makes that much more visible to the driver. Thus I'm not really bothered by the lack of temp in the instrument cluster.

3) the look and precision of the NAV seems improved. I was specifically told which Lane to be in on surface streets - which has not happened before.

4) everything feels zippier about the interface. I'm sure the lessening of graphic overhead contributed significantly to this - but it is very tangible and a very welcome improvement.

5) voice command / recognition seems much improved. Way faster than before.

6) instrument cluster NAV display is much more pleasing and also shows more data because at not cropped off by the artificial metal interface.

7) media control is night and day. This is huge. The full screen implementation for radio (XM) or Internet pages is a massive useability increase.

For my money - and despite not having autopilot hardware, I am thrilled about this enormous improvement to a car I have already owned for 2 years.

Just keeps getting better.

Thank you Elon and the entire team at Tesla for not ignoring us original Classic drivers!!!!

I just confirmed that an owner with an 85D with A/P was sent the 2.7.40 firmware update today, and just got another notice for a second update (ostensibly the proper 2.7.56 AP update).

So it appears that Tesla still is fast-and-loose with the firmware updates -- they can't even send the right updates to the right cars!!
Sorry to have misinformed you. I checked again this morning and the version I have now is also 2.7.56.

Last edited:
So. I have to say. Some HUGE improvements that nobody seems to applaud here.

1). The lack of 3D skeumorphism to the center screen means that the NAV display and media displays are much larger overall. Add to that the fact that the NAV also "underlaps" the search bar and you have an extremely big improvement to the overall amount of data being displayed.

2) unlock is huge - and moving the temp display slightly to the right because of this makes that much more visible to the driver. Thus I'm not really bothered by the lack of temp in the instrument cluster.

3) the look and precision of the NAV seems improved. I was specifically told which Lane to be in on surface streets - which has not happened before.

4) everything feels zippier about the interface. I'm sure the lessening of graphic overhead contributed significantly to this - but it is very tangible and a very welcome improvement.

5) voice command / recognition seems much improved. Way faster than before.

6) instrument cluster NAV display is much more pleasing and also shows more data because at not cropped off by the artificial metal interface.

7) media control is night and day. This is huge. The full screen implementation for radio (XM) or Internet pages is a massive useability increase.

For my money - and despite not having autopilot hardware, I am thrilled about this enormous improvement to a car I have already owned for 2 years.

Just keeps getting better.

Thank you Elon and the entire team at Tesla for not ignoring us original Classic drivers!!!!

Awesome! I can't wait to get it :)

Got 2.7.56 installed about 11:30 last night. I will take her for a first V7.0 ride this AM. I am sorry to hear that Alysashley79 did not get the TPMS dash widget :crying:. I am still going to drop by my SC today and see if an upgrade is possible. As far as usability I won't really know until I drive it a bit. I am very curious to see if the the Torque Sleep is really a thing. More as I get it.

Peace,
Father Bill

No update on either of my 60's yet. Since I am a windows phone user and am not worthy of an official app to notify me when the update is ready, I have been running out to my car ever hour or two to see if the update is ready yet. My wife is doing the same thing with her car. Hopefully we will get it soon.

Got a notification on my phone that a software update failed. Went down to check and the car says the same thing. Only problem is I never got an Update Available notification or scheduled an update.
Wait what?
It tried to update without you actually telling it to? Any chance that a spouse or other driver accepted the update offer without your knowledge? I'd be extremely unhappy if my car installed an update without me explicitly telling it to do so...

My update is complete, vin 38k. My notes DO NOT include the performance and zero-speed improvements mentioned elsewhere. Wtf! Build 2.7.56. The notes for the RWD cars that have AP DO include the performance and zero-speed improvement language, however, as shown in the below screenshot from another thread. So, one of a few things could be going on here:

a) Tesla didn't include the language in our notes as an oversight, but the functionality is in the firmware.
B) there is some difference between the drivetrain in AP cars and our older drivetrains which limits the ability to enact the performance and zero speed improvements
c) this function was held back in our cars intentionally for some reason (yet released in the RWD cars w AP as shown below):
imagejpeg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 98099Screenshot referenced in my prior post

OK...I emailed Tesla about the inclusion/exclusion of certain features (RWD performance and zero speed improvements) among different RWD cars. They acknowledged that some cars don't get the features, and said it was due to "model year differences". So, in my quoted post above, looks like the reason the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements is choice "b" - some element(s) of our drivetrain won't allow for those improvements, so we aren't getting them.

i guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but I was really looking forward to it! Still a great car, but never would have bought it when I did if I knew what was coming less than 90 days later!

Signed,
-Early Adopter that doesn't feel right selling a $90k+ car after a year or two

OK...I emailed Tesla about the inclusion/exclusion of certain features (RWD performance and zero speed improvements) among different RWD cars. They acknowledged that some cars don't get the features, and said it was due to "model year differences". So, in my quoted post above, looks like the reason the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements is choice "b" - some element(s) of our drivetrain won't allow for those improvements, so we aren't getting them.

i guess I shouldn't be disappointed, but I was really looking forward to it! Still a great car, but never would have bought it when I did if I knew what was coming less than 90 days later!

Signed,
-Early Adopter that doesn't feel right selling a $90k+ car after a year or two

I hear you. Even worse for first few thousand people but I still look at it as a great car. Sure I didn't have folding mirrors, parking sensors (upgraded those later actually)....etc but the car is exactly what I ordered. I'd love to have AP features but don't that that is significant enough to upgrade to a P90D with little improvement in range. I think I'll wait a few years until something like a P110D comes out. That way you get all the improvements over the next 2-3 years and the increased range and hopefully acceleration too.