Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused about "performance enhancements for RWD cars". I have a 2013 P85 and I did not receive any notes regarding performance enhancement, just improved efficiency with torque sleep. I also did not receive any notes regarding changed throttle response at low speed, which has never really been a problem anyway. This update had very little for me and I'm a bit disappointed. No TPMS readouts for early cars, really? No performance enhancement? No brake hold? This is the first time in my ownership experience when I've felt left behind. I suppose it was inevitable.

Does yours show dashes for the TPMS readouts? Mine did. I called Tesla and was told that only air suspension cars got readouts for each tire. Then today my dashes were replaced with numbers, all my tires are 5 lb low if 45 is what they're supposed to be. Clearly though there is some confusion at Tesla as I was told in no uncertain terms I would not get them, and now I have them.

Just got Version 7.0. WOW. This is terrible. The dashboard used to have shaded areas around the buttons giving them a 3D pop. Now they look 2 dimensional. The app bar at the top used to float in a grey mesh where the icons seemed to float over the background. Now it's all matte black and shows fingerprints more.
What a letdown. Can I go back to the old version?

And now I have a MC Red emoji car in the center of my speedo that is a big patch of red - can't see when the brake lights are turning on, looks like a 1-pixel wide strip of "lights" at the most. Maybe those with 'retina' speedos are getting better fidelity, but I don't like it.

Maybe in 7.1 they won't use the current graphics for the car emoji and instead use the ambiguous car picture they use for other cars around you on AP cars. Red should show up much better on those.

One thing I've noticed is when I back up and go forward (like out of my driveway, or doing a three point turn), I can immediately shift between Reverse and Forward and there is no sudden jump. It is very smooth, allowing the car to drift back a bit under its momentum and then go forward smoothly. It used to be that you couldn't even shift between Reverse and forward unless the car was essentially at a standstill, now you can shift on the fly. Much, much nicer.

I've decided to withhold comment in the new skin for the most part. I'm sure I can get used to the overall look. What needs tweaking, though, is some sort of contrasting / differentiation for the icons. For example, "favorites" in the Media app -- I couldn't tell the icons apart from the driver's seat.
75086ee7d33636d1c24cdc1ae9e134a9.jpg

Well, I wanted to know what it did, so I suppose It's the answer I wanted :wink:

Just not the functionality. Seriously, that HVAC display change is going to piss me off every god damned day. :cursing: It already sucks to have to click 3 times whenever I want to change a stupid venting scheme (open, change, close). That's horrible UI design. Let's take the driver's eyes off the road for multiple screen interactions to do a common thing...stupid. Now, let's take that really stupid HVAC UI and make it even less useful!

Tesla seems to completely lack on software usability engineers. There's a fairly long rant list I've got on how the UI makes you click so many damn times for everything. The most basic UI 101 is reduce click counts on common functionality.

Maybe I will refuse the update forever. I've yet to read of anything in this update that actually adds value.

Perhaps this will get a tweak in 7.1. One other thing I noticed when taking the pic that there is no longer any indication you are in Range mode unless you tap the climate tab, then it notes you are in range mode right below the fan speed.

Does yours show dashes for the TPMS readouts? Mine did. I called Tesla and was told that only air suspension cars got readouts for each tire. Then today my dashes were replaced with numbers, all my tires are 5 lb low if 45 is what they're supposed to be. Clearly though there is some confusion at Tesla as I was told in no uncertain terms I would not get them, and now I have them.

You have a newer generation car with dual TPMS receivers. Those of us with older cars have a single TPMS receiver. The new hardware supports TPMS readouts, the old hardware does not, unfortunately for us early adopters.

Maybe in 7.1 they won't use the current graphics for the car emoji and instead use the ambiguous car picture they use for other cars around you on AP cars. Red should show up much better on those.

I got a post-AP blue car, and it's hard to see. If I quickly glance I can't [yet?] tell if the brakes are on or off. If I stare it at long enough, I can figure it out. But I'd rather be driving than staring ;).

One thing I've noticed is when I back up and go forward (like out of my driveway, or doing a three point turn), I can immediately shift between Reverse and Forward and there is no sudden jump. It is very smooth, allowing the car to drift back a bit under its momentum and then go forward smoothly. It used to be that you couldn't even shift between Reverse and forward unless the car was essentially at a standstill, now you can shift on the fly. Much, much nicer.

On 6.2 and even earlier, you could shift between reverse and forward if the car was moving less than 5mph. I've done it many times. Back up,don't touch the brake, and while the car is moving, put it in drive. If they have made is smoother, even better.

I received a new DU in February that was brand new from the factory, no performance enhancement for me. I'm thinking it might have to do with the battery revision? I have a B pack. Someone in a FB group told me "don't be jelly" about not having Autopilot. I have to tell you, I was far more excited about a potential performance enhancement and TPMS readouts than I was envious of anyone who has Autopilot. I'm disappointed that we aren't even getting the "little things". And now I have a MC Red emoji car in the center of my speedo that is a big patch of red - can't see when the brake lights are turning on, looks like a 1-pixel wide strip of "lights" at the most. Maybe those with 'retina' speedos are getting better fidelity, but I don't like it.
I have a D pack, so it has to be the newer ones, if so.

Agreed on the toy car. Again, "I'm not a big fan, but at least I'll know when my brake lights are on, a major complain of mine since Day 1." Nope. It's practically invisible.

On 6.2 and even earlier, you could shift between reverse and forward if the car was moving less than 5mph. I've done it many times. Back up,don't touch the brake, and while the car is moving, put it in drive. .

Same here, I do this probably 2 or 3 times a day. And I've noticed very fine control of the car at very slow speeds moving into and out of my very small garage doors. I can't imagine it being "finer" (I'm still on 6.2). I've also never noticed a jerking or rumbling at very slow speeds either. And I have a 15xxx vin.

On 6.2 and even earlier, you could shift between reverse and forward if the car was moving less than 5mph. I've done it many times. Back up,don't touch the brake, and while the car is moving, put it in drive. If they have made is smoother, even better.

I was REALLY looking for this nice touch. Its more subtle than I imagined. Its smoother, but not THAT much crossing the 0 point.

There is also something with the pedal mapping while driving, when you try to stop accelerating (try to coast from the current speed). You let go the pedal half way like usual and its easier to catch the 0 kW zone and stay there. Took some time to discover but its definitely an update, in a good way. All the regen is still there, but maybe in a smaller section of the mapping. It doesnt feel like its simply mapped from x to y % press its this or that, but its using more the pedal direction, movement that you apply. Its hard to describe, go test it ;)

Can someone clarify which cars receive the perf boost and why? I must be missing something.

Apacheguy, per my email exchange with Tesla, the performance improvements for RWD cars are "model year dependent" - which is a vague (but theoretically nice!) way of saying "only available on recent (autopilot age) cars".

It's becoming clearer and clearer that Autopilot cars are "Model S 2.0"...we have 1.0. And the 1.0 isn't even being supported, based on this garbage UI. Inconsistent design, sloppy geometry, these "improvements" just not useful.

Hey Tesla - you'd be bankrupt if it wasn't for the first 50,000 buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO - For those of us that aren't happy with the way Tesla handled this UI change for classic model S...I'd suggest you send a "concerned" email to Tesla themselves. Just a thought - can't expect improvements if we aren't communicating our desires.

I was REALLY looking for this nice touch. Its more subtle than I imagined. Its smoother, but not THAT much crossing the 0 point.

There is also something with the pedal mapping while driving, when you try to stop accelerating (try to coast from the current speed). You let go the pedal half way like usual and its easier to catch the 0 kW zone and stay there. Took some time to discover but its definitely an update, in a good way. All the regen is still there, but maybe in a smaller section of the mapping. It doesnt feel like its simply mapped from x to y % press its this or that, but its using more the pedal direction, movement that you apply. Its hard to describe, go test it ;)

Making it easier to catch that zero zone is an improvement ! I'll have to go for a drive now to test it. :biggrin:

I empathize with all about the notion that we're "getting left out", but honestly, what do you really expect/want? This has always been clearly understood about new technology. The bleeding edge is expensive. In a year or two, this debate will continue, as a new version of autopilot rolls out and the owners with VIN's below 150k find that they don't have the ability to benefit from it. You can't expect that Tesla is going to continue upgrading hardware, just to keep older vehicles in check with the latest version.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that Autopilot cars are "Model S 2.0"...we have 1.0. And the 1.0 isn't even being supported, based on this garbage UI. Inconsistent design, sloppy geometry, these "improvements" just not useful.

Well, yes, autopilot cars have more cachet, are the future of the company and get more attention/love. I strongly disagree that 1.0 is not being supported...it's identical to the "2.0" upgrades, within vehicle hardware capabilities, except for the center dial. You may not like the update, and I have mixed feelings, but the alternative is to get nothing. Some folks certainly might prefer that.