Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first-up, this is a completely new version of the DU, not a revision. Unfortunately, the Service Centre guys do not know what has changed or what it may facilitate, other than, I presume some design issues with the previous being removed. Externally it looks identical, but major changes internally, they said.

In driving it felt lovely and smooth, but as the old one was on the way out, that probably doesn't mean much. I'm still on 6.2 as well, so no change in throttle mapping and all that stuff.

So what's the part number of this V2 DU? Do all AP enabled Model S ship with this new DU? There has to be someone with AP who has needed a DU swap.

Huh? My handles always extend on the first tap of the park button. How do I change this?

Sorry... when you said "But I think better would be if I could unlock and extend the handles simply with a second tap of the park button" I thought you meant if you were sitting in the car parked and wanted to open the door for someone you might be waiting at the curb for.

It used to be you would have to flick it into Drive, then back to Park to do this, but Tesla changed it so a second tap on the Park button will extend the handles.

But I agree with you. I would like Park to just put the car in Park. Period. If I want the handles out, a second press of Park would do it.

I wouldn't mind this, because unlocking the car from the inside is something I rarely need to do. But I think better would be if I could unlock and extend the handles simply with a second tap
That is the way my Dec 2013 car has worked for quite awhile now. I do that all the time, before V7. Maybe it's always worked that way, not certain though.

Yes, but that may only be you. I refer to it quite often, as I charge only every couple of days and will gauge on a daily basis whether I should charge or not (if I need to charge, I park at work in a different and less convenient spot than I do otherwise).

I do the same. Charging means I park in the deck further from my office vs. not charging means I can park right outside my office.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's hard to argue that the relative importance of a car icon with brake lights is greater than that of the battery level, no matter how often you charge. I also can't see many complaining if it gets reverted, which to me makes it a reasonable choice.

I also don't see why they can't leave the car icon as-is to be consistent w/ AP cars (assuming they want to be somewhat consistent) but swap odo and battery level since battery level is more often reviewed than odometer and thus, below the speedo is more natural of a location. But cest la vie, they never asked me! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I almost always over-ride the recirculate button to remain on outside air. Not sure about now, but in the past the car in Auto would stay in recirculate way to much, which is a huge no-no in the winter because you will get crazy fogging. I find if I over-ride to outside air and just use the thumb wheel to ramp up the fan, even if it's at the floor the increased fresh air movement does the job.

Of course, I do the exact opposite. I use full auto except make sure its always on recirculate except when its raining (then its fresh only). This doesn't give me any fogging and keeps the other smelly cars from intruding into my cabin.

Sorry... when you said "But I think better would be if I could unlock and extend the handles simply with a second tap of the park button" I thought you meant if you were sitting in the car parked and wanted to open the door for someone you might be waiting at the curb for.

It used to be you would have to flick it into Drive, then back to Park to do this, but Tesla changed it so a second tap on the Park button will extend the handles.

But I agree with you. I would like Park to just put the car in Park. Period. If I want the handles out, a second press of Park would do it.

That is the way my Dec 2013 car has worked for quite awhile now. I do that all the time, before V7. Maybe it's always worked that way, not certain though.

I guess I really wasn't clear. What I meant was that the first tap should put the car into park without unlocking the doors.

But it's not an ICE.

Do you use the odometer on 95% of drives? Which number do you think is more important to an EV driver more often, the battery status/rated range or the miles driven since day 1? The answer to that question should determine which number is front and center, and which is off in the corner and sometimes covered up by the navigation directions box.

You're right, it's not an ICE. In an ICE I always have to check the fuel gauge to see if I need to stop at a gas station. In the Tesla I never look at it because every morning I always have plenty of range for the day. If I'm on a road trip I'm using trip planning.

You're right, it's not an ICE. In an ICE I always have to check the fuel gauge to see if I need to stop at a gas station. In the Tesla I never look at it because every morning I always have plenty of range for the day. If I'm on a road trip I'm using trip planning.

Exactly. I want it moved back too and hopefully they do but where it is now isn't some massive burden. If they had hidden it in an app or behind a screen on the 17" display then I would be upset as well.

Exactly. I want it moved back too and hopefully they do but where it is now isn't some massive burden. If they had hidden it in an app or behind a screen on the 17" display then I would be upset as well.

I'm basically in agreement. It's true that the odometer in the center is definitely useless, so swapping them would be fine, it's just not that big a deal to me. I assume they just wanted to minimize the amount of non-AP specific code.

I'm basically in agreement. It's true that the odometer in the center is definitely useless, so swapping them would be fine, it's just not that big a deal to me. I assume they just wanted to minimize the amount of non-AP specific code.

I suppose that's a possibility, I thought they wanted to minimize the EV-ness of the car to aim for the mass market. With regards to trip planning, I don't see how that lessens the desire to glance at the battery meter with the easiest possible eye movement. I may use trip planner but I don't necessarily trust it and prefer to do my own trip planning and watching the battery meter range on the center screen.

I'm going to go against the grain in this thread and just point out that I much prefer the graphical design of 7.0 to 6.2. I am glad the faux bezels and shadows are gone. For me, it's a cleaner look and I'm really happy with it. The main things I don't like are the contrast on the IC and the battery indicator on the lower left. Otherwise I'm not missing 6.2 at all.

I may use trip planner but I don't necessarily trust it and prefer to do my own trip planning and watching the battery meter range on the center screen.
Personally when I take a long trip I plug in the route using the GPS. Then I use the energy tab / trip monitor. This way I can get the projected surplus/deficit battery left at the end of the journey. I find that this projection has been very accurate. I like the way it constantly updates along the way dependent of driving efficiency. I always shoot for a 10% buffer as I move from SuC to SuC.

Peace,
Father Bill

Personally when I take a long trip I plug in the route using the GPS. Then I use the energy tab / trip monitor. This way I can get the projected surplus/deficit battery left at the end of the journey. I find that this projection has been very accurate. I like the way it constantly updates along the way dependent of driving efficiency. I always shoot for a 10% buffer as I move from SuC to SuC.

Peace,
Father Bill
So do I. But I still use the range and "since last charge" to keep track.
Since we havent got waypoints yet maybe trip is a better word than journey ??