Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See the parts catalog listing here: 100% drive unit failure rate?? - Page 5

What's not clear to me is if 100xxx is a brand new unit and 102xxx is reman or if one has a "high speed encoder" and the other does not. Can someone else offer an interpretation of the parts catalogue?

Yes, I posted for comparison to the catalog. Mine is new, but as I said, it's not clear if it's a post-AP unit or not. That's only clear with the 102xx numbers. Presumably they're different, so there's still no evidence to tie drive unit to the performance improvement.

Done. So lets make some great suggestions for him.
1. Put the bottom row of information back.
2. Flip the battery meter/rated range and odometer back to their original positions.
3. Put x and y axis numbers back on the energy app on the dashboard.
4. Lose the headlight blob of light.

I don't Twitter, so would someone please send this to him? I've already emailed Tesla service with it but this may be a more direct approach.

Well, that was a bust. Put Recirculate in to Auto and both icons went grey. Without the graphics on the button in v7, I can't tell whether the car is on Fresh Air or Recirculate when in Auto any longer :cursing:

Yeah. One of my complains about 7 is the loss of this information detail. It was easy enough for anyone who didn't care to not really pay attention to the icons, but now none of us can.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, it's not an ICE. In an ICE I always have to check the fuel gauge to see if I need to stop at a gas station. In the Tesla I never look at it because every morning I always have plenty of range for the day. If I'm on a road trip I'm using trip planning.

Except when you are using trip planner and stop at a charger, go an extra 15% than needed, go 15 miles on your trip, and then Nav and energy app point you back tracking 15 miles for a 5% top off! Agh! My battery icon 6.2 save my grief there.

I'm not sure that climate control is unanimous. I've seen complaints about it, although reaction seems to be mostly positive.

I also don't agree that the move of the battery icon is a con. It is similar to the fuel gauge on an ICE -- I don't actually need it very often at all. Unless I am on a trip I always know that I have enough charge and I have no use whatsoever for the status. Literally 95% of the time, I know I have more than enough charge on a daily basis and I assume that is true for most people. Putting it so large and prominent as it did in v6 just wasted valuable real estate.

I waited a few days before updating and then used it for a few days before forming my opinions. Thanks to those here who updated quickly and then posted thoughts, gripes, cheers.

To be honest, I was really prepared to hate it just from integrating the response here. I just don't.
I quickly adjusted to the "range remaining" being moved from center to lower left. I don't check it very often now that it's out of the way and, if I'm on a long trip, it's really just the Wh/mi I'm wanting to see frequently.
But if 7.1 makes it 50% larger, that would be a plus.
Being in SoCal, I don't really touch the Climate stuff much so those changes might be a serious matter for others and I'll defer.
I prefer the less cluttered look and (horrors) even like the clock. (I think I hear faint sounds of triggers being cocked).

What's kind of funny to me is a design shift which deprecates "skeuomorphism" and then puts a "a" car to represent "the" car front and center. But, perhaps that just translates best.
I also tested for other effects like acceleration and regen. I can't feel any difference in accel. I have a regen test that I ran before and after the update. Unlike IslandBay's situation, I measured no loss of regen on my "calibrated" regen route and perhaps a slight increase.

So overall, I'm glad I updated. Not wishing to go back to 6.2.

I like the feature but maybe just tone down the brightness? The steering wheel in my preferred driving position blocks the headlight indicator as I like the steering wheel to be positioned lower than required to see entire top portion of dash.

I noticed the blocked headlight icon too. I wonder why they moved it and also wonder why it is even needed in addition to the toy car display? I also find the PRND indicator is often harder to find/see too.

Personally when I take a long trip I plug in the route using the GPS. Then I use the energy tab / trip monitor. This way I can get the projected surplus/deficit battery left at the end of the journey. I find that this projection has been very accurate. I like the way it constantly updates along the way dependent of driving efficiency. I always shoot for a 10% buffer as I move from SuC to SuC.

Peace,
Father Bill

I just completed a ~1300mi roadtrip and found the trip monitor quite accurate as well... so much so that I could modulate the buffer with my speed quite precisely. I finished at least one leg with 3% left without much worry.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that was a bust. Put Recirculate in to Auto and both icons went grey. Without the graphics on the button in v7, I can't tell whether the car is on Fresh Air or Recirculate when in Auto any longer :cursing:

I just saw the same yesterday as well. Losing the small icon indicators on the main-screen sub-panel launch button was bad enough, now we can't even get that detail by opening the sub-panel itself.

I just saw the same yesterday as well. Losing the small icon indicators on the main-screen sub-panel launch button was bad enough, now we can't even get that detail by opening the sub-panel itself.

Yeah, but what's weird is that if you have "Mode" in Auto, it will highlight one or more of the Floor, Dash or Defroster icons to tell you what it's doing. Not sure why the Recirc icons couldn't do the same. But I'd prefer not to have to open the app just to find out!

There may be something to the reports from those who claim increased efficiency. I have a commute that's reliably 330 Wh/mi and the four days I've driven this week, it's been only 290. I also have a car that often gets 20% less range than the trip planner estimate, but I've yet to try a road trip.

More research required...
948b8b62b8b1218dc15e5b1cbe5131ca.jpg

My post got moved to snippiness due to being too accusatory/ rudely phrased. Rather than revising it as suggested by our moderator, I will simply apologize for my tone and summarize by politely suggesting that those who do not care for v 7.0 (or any new feature) should feel fine just posting their displeasure once with specific points spelled out for reasonable discussion. Please do not post over and over how the world is ending because your opinion was not taken into consideration. The extra drama does not add to the community.

There may be something to the reports from those who claim increased efficiency. I have a commute that's reliably 330 Wh/mi and the four days I've driven this week, it's been only 290. I also have a car that often gets 20% less range than the trip planner estimate, but I've yet to try a road trip.

Nice. Just by coincidence, it started to get cold where I live right when I got v7. The colder temps have been skewing my ability to see if there is any improvement.

More research required...
948b8b62b8b1218dc15e5b1cbe5131ca.jpg

I did a couple of hundred mile road trip in SoCal yesterday with temps in the 80s, and I agree that there seems to be some improvement. My P85+ has been consuming 350Wh/mi pretty consistently (it is a 'P', and I like to use it!), but the road trip yesterday without any conscious change in driving style was 310Wh/mi for the day. With that "tickler", I will have to be more rigorous with further testing to be sure. Perhaps the torque sleep function contributed to the outcome.

I did a couple of hundred mile road trip in SoCal yesterday with temps in the 80s, and I agree that there seems to be some improvement. My P85+ has been consuming 350Wh/mi pretty consistently (it is a 'P', and I like to use it!), but the road trip yesterday without any conscious change in driving style was 310Wh/mi for the day. With that "tickler", I will have to be more rigorous with further testing to be sure. Perhaps the torque sleep function contributed to the outcome.

I reset my Trip A upon upgrade. I have yet to see a measurable difference, but I already average 290Wh/mi, so maybe there's less room for improvement (if that even means anything). If I see anything, will definitely report it.

Yeah, but what's weird is that if you have "Mode" in Auto, it will highlight one or more of the Floor, Dash or Defroster icons to tell you what it's doing. Not sure why the Recirc icons couldn't do the same. But I'd prefer not to have to open the app just to find out!

Oh yeah? Hadn't realized that.

The inconsistency isn't good... but hopefully that may mean it's a UI oversight that they will fix (that is ADD the recirc highlights, not REMOVE the vent highlights).

Of course I agree with the sentiments to bring back the small tab icons that gave us that info at a glance...

I'm kind of dreading 7.1 because every other company that's gone down the flat path has made each new release worse. My hypothesis is that that the flat path is decided by bean counters as a cost saving feature, and once the bean counters obtain control, things go south in a hurry because there's nothing that can't be made cheaper by making it a little worse.