Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though I got shamed for hanging out here with you Classics, I'm gonna stay, if I may?
My new 90D has all of the sensors, but I didn't opt for the autopilot, and that's all that they yammer on and on about on the main v7 thread. I love my MS and want to really drive it!

*slinks back in, crouches in a corner...*

Lucy, you are always welcome to hang out here, but what you posted is very interesting. You have an AP car, but did not spring for the AP functionality. So, what does your instrument cluster look like under V7.0 - the one we've seen posted in the other thread or the "classic" one with the energy arc on the right and speed arc on the left with the model of the car in the middle?

Lucy, you are always welcome to hang out here, but what you posted is very interesting. You have an AP car, but did not spring for the AP functionality. So, what does your instrument cluster look like under V7.0 - the one we've seen posted in the other thread or the "classic" one with the energy arc on the right and speed arc on the left with the model of the car in the middle?

I am still figuring things out (just got nav map to turn with me yesterday!) but the default is for the cluster display to show music selection on left or proximity data when parking, toy car in lane in the middle with speed above it, and energy graph on the right. When I'm using nav, the route replaces the left display.
I'm still pretty much overloaded with info every time I'm in the car, I find myself sitting in it for a few minutes trying to suss things out when I get home. I'll add photos later today, after I get my lazy @$$ out of bed! I work 3-11pm, mornings are not my friend.

toy car in lane in the middle with speed above it, .

This is the piece we're interested in! Your car does not have Autopilot enabled, but it still has the AP dashboard! So the toy car in the lane doesn't do anything for you, it's probably static. Unless the "safety features" like collision avoidance are still enabled and display on the dashboard. Can you see grey ghost cars near your car in the lane in the dash? Does the lane change as you turn left and right?

This is the piece we're interested in! Your car does not have Autopilot enabled, but it still has the AP dashboard! So the toy car in the lane doesn't do anything for you, it's probably static. Unless the "safety features" like collision avoidance are still enabled and display on the dashboard. Can you see grey ghost cars near your car in the lane in the dash? Does the lane change as you turn left and right?

Yes, I see images of other nearby vehicles that appear as Teslas (even though I've only seen 1 here in town) in my lane, my position relative to the lane lines, warning arcs of my proximity to curbs, dividers, etc, in white to yellow to red. I don't see images of cars to my right or left, just to the front.

When I pull into my cluttered 1 car garage there is a full line showing proximity to all the stuff around the front of the car, with inches of distance marked. It is awesome. I'm coming from a much smaller car, so all of these cues are very much appreciated in helping me not pinball around like a crazy
person.

Collision avoidance is enabled in so much that I get a warning beep if I'm coming up on an object too quickly, I hope to never try the system out to the extent that the brakes engage, but they should do so.

i haven't glanced down when turning to see what the display is doing, when I change lanes it does show the car crossing the lane lines.

Last edited:
Yes, I see images of other nearby vehicles that appear as Teslas (even though I've only seen 1 here in town) in my lane, my position relative to the lane lines, warning arcs of my proximity to curbs, dividers, etc, in white to yellow to red. I don't see images of cars to my right or left, just to the front.

When I pull into my cluttered 1 car garage there is a full line showing proximity to all the stuff around the front of the car, with inches of distance marked. It is awesome. I'm coming from a much smaller car, so all of these cues are very much appreciated in helping me not pinball around like a crazy
person.

Collision avoidance is enabled in so much that I get a warning beep if I'm coming up on an object too quickly, I hope to never try the system out to the extent that the brakes engage, but they should do so.

i haven't glanced down when turning to see what the display is doing, when I change lanes it does show the car crossing the lane lines.
It appears that with AP not enabled the toy car display still works for information and alerts. Can you get the auto high beam to work? You may find it useful for your daily @ 11pm.

It appears that with AP not enabled the toy car display still works for information and alerts. Can you get the auto high beam to work? You may find it useful for your daily @ 11pm.

Auto high beams are a "convenience feature" and thus, would not be available on Lucy's car without her paying the $3k to activate AutoPilot Convenience Features. She also gets traditional cruise control like our classivs.

The large Tesla display always looks fantastic when compared to what passes for display in an ICE. Removal of information (like the trip metres) means I have to flip between screens, rather than just have the "customers" look at the dash. And when it's bright out (as it often is in Texas) the low contrast text is invisible. This is the numbers around the speedometer and the climate controls.

I'm all for change if it's progress (after all, I purchased a Tesla and have had so many people sit in it that the driver's seat broke a spring). They could have made it really great, but instead there are major deficiencies compared to the older display.

All I'm saying is that those are issues unique to you, but someone who is quickly looking at your car while you show it off is not going to have any of those concerns because they have no idea what the previous version UI looked like. The annoyances you describe are noticeable only if you live with the car. Just saying. :)

v7 cluster, 2015 MS, AP not enabled, parked

IMG_1454.jpg

and I found my Hello Kitty chapstick coozie, that should keep it from rattling around in the door well excessively...
IMG_1455.jpg

All I'm saying is that those are issues unique to you, but someone who is quickly looking at your car while you show it off is not going to have any of those concerns because they have no idea what the previous version UI looked like. The annoyances you describe are noticeable only if you live with the car. Just saying. :)

Agree. Someone who jumps into a Tesla isn't going to find it annoying at all that the climate tab simply displays "Custom." This is only frustrating to someone who has owned the car for 3 years and has come to rely on the previously displayed fan state, mode, and recirc indicators.

Yes, no good reason to remove the fan and recirc info from the climate tab. There is no competition for space in that area of the screen.
Agreed. In fact, one could even argue that more information could have been added to the 6.2 climate tab, certainly not less. Maybe even fixed controls for fan speed. Well, maybe/maybe not. Again, certainly not less than was already there. I get the distinct impression that someone thought it would be clever/clean to hide as much info as possible. I may also make the assumption that said person doesn't have a drivers license.

Auto high beams are a "convenience feature" and thus, would not be available on Lucy's car without her paying the $3k to activate AutoPilot Convenience Features. She also gets traditional cruise control like our classivs.

There is a difference between how classic and AP cruise control works too, apart from the traffic aware / adaptive feature in AP cars. In my classic P85+, I can increase / decrease the cruise control set point by 1mph by pressing the cruise stalk up / down to the first position, or 5mph by pressing the cruise stalk up / down to the second position. In AP cars, the increase / decrease by 5mph stops at the nearest 5mph increment. For example, if the cruise set point is 57mph, increasing in my classic by 5pm will put the cruise set point to 62mph, but in an AP car, it will set it at 60mph. Lucy, I'm curious about your AP vintage car without the autopilot convenience feature - does cruise control behave like the classic or traffic aware when adjusting the cruise set point?

Agree. Someone who jumps into a Tesla isn't going to find it annoying at all that the climate tab simply displays "Custom." This is only frustrating to someone who has owned the car for 3 years and has come to rely on the previously displayed fan state, mode, and recirc indicators.

I respectfully disagree. Every single car I've ever owned has provided the driver with some sort of indication of the HVAC system's status. It could be an illuminated button, or the position of a rotary switch. Even on "Auto", usually the buttons will illuminate to tell you what's up, or if, for example, you over-ride the a/c compressor, it's light or snowflake icon will be out. Tesla used to have this and now they don't. It would be a very glaring and obvious omission getting in to a v7 Model S from any other car.

Another thing I've noticed w/ V.7 on my Classic:

Previously, if I had a tire with pressure getting low[1], I'd get a warning to the effect of "Tire Low, check pressures". This would seem to trigger at 3-5 PSI down. If it was lower than that (10+ PSI down), it would say "Tire Very low: pull over safely"

Now it seems to jump straight to the latter... only a warning when it's VERY low...

[1] I unfortunately have had far too many opportunities to experience this... for some reason I have had the had the hardest time with tires on this car...

There is a difference between how classic and AP cruise control works too, apart from the traffic aware / adaptive feature in AP cars. In my classic P85+, I can increase / decrease the cruise control set point by 1mph by pressing the cruise stalk up / down to the first position, or 5mph by pressing the cruise stalk up / down to the second position. In AP cars, the increase / decrease by 5mph stops at the nearest 5mph increment. For example, if the cruise set point is 57mph, increasing in my classic by 5pm will put the cruise set point to 62mph, but in an AP car, it will set it at 60mph. Lucy, I'm curious about your AP vintage car without the autopilot convenience feature - does cruise control behave like the classic or traffic aware when adjusting the cruise set point?

my cruise goes up by 1 mph with light tap up, up by 5 mph with harder tap up - no stopping at multiples of 5 or speed limit. That AP feature seems arbitrary and annoying, did designer or his/her manager have OCD or an irrational love of counting by 5? That sort of thing & the thought of fighting my car as it tried to drive off the road are the very reasons I opted out of getting AP (plus I'm a cheap-@$$, have a 5 minute daily commute.)