TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Firmware 7.0

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MarcG, Oct 13, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

#1 MarcG, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
    *Moderator Note: If you are coming to this thread just to confirm that you have or have not gotten V7.0, please use the following wiki for that sort of thing and do not clutter up this already very long thread with that: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

It seems that there is no official "Firmware 7.0" sticky thread yet. There are a bunch about the beta leaks, autopilot lane-keeping not being available yet, etc.

But now that we have an "official" date from Elon, regardless how realistic each of us thinks this is, I figured it was time to summarize what we know about the official, non-beta 7.0 firmware and make it a sticky for when reports of upgrades in non-beta production cars become a reality.

First off, here's the official announcement from Elon about releasing it this upcoming Thursday 15 October 2015 (10/15/15):

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.18.22 PM.png

And that it will roll out over about 5 days, worldwide:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.24.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.24.57 PM.png

Non-autopilot cars will also get some updates, but more is coming in 7.1:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.21.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.25.42 PM.png

And finally, a confirmation that self-parking is included in 7.0 but not yet in garages (that will be in 7.1):

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.26.58 PM.png

There, I think I've covered it all for now.
    I'll keep updating this post for the next 24 hours, so please let me know if I've missed anything *official*.

Again, no speculation about what may or may not be included please.
    Only facts about what's been announced from Tesla via official communication and what we will be observing once it finally rolls out.

Here's to a timely delivery of 7.0 on 10/15/2015!
    :biggrin:

2. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

The only thing you've missed are the 10 other threads with this same topic. :)

3. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Oh I didn't miss those other threads, as a matter of fact I'm subscribed to most of them.

The purpose of this one is to have an official Firmware 7.0 sticky with all the actuals of this much-anticipated release, just like we do for Firmware 6.2 (and had for prior releases).

Afrer a few false starts, I think the mods will agree it's time to make a sticky thread on the eve of a massive wave of 7.0 upgrades we'll be getting very shortly - or so I hope!

4. mdevp

mdevp Member

#4 mdevp, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  5. jlucero

jlucero Member

#5 jlucero, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Like the semi-autonomous features already seen on high-end vehicles such as the BMW 7 Series and theVolvo XC90, the software allows the Model S to auto-steer on motorways, and even parallel park semi-autonomously.

What’s more, a new lane change feature means Model S owners will be able to change motorway lanes with the click of an indicator. The software will use a radar system, combined with 12 sensors positioned at key locations around the car – and it’s these sensors that the new driverless features will utilise.

swweet!!!!

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

What driverless features?

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That video shows a new app icon just below the Tesla logo at the top center. The video quality is too poor for me to make out what the icon is supposed to represent.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

By "driverless" one could mean that the person sitting in the driver's seat does not need to keep their hands on the wheel or their foot on the accelerator pedal when Autopilot is engaged.
    Others could say that the term "driverless" means that no human driver input is required for the car to move -- starting from a speed of zero -- from one location to another location and then coming to a full stop, safely. Many would call that "autonomous" driving. Tesla Autopilot is not yet capable of doing that, of course.
    Different people use the same term to mean different things, especially when describing new technology and its capabilities.

9. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

That looks like the energy app, with just a different icon.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#10 brianman, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Tesla_V7_On_The_Road_17.png

Update:
    The 1:24 mark has a clearer picture.

Using the video here to compare:
    Squinting, I think I see...

Top row:
    - Looks like temperature removed.
    - Battery icon now vertical.
    - Charging button.
    - User profile.
    - Tesla T ("about" button).
    - Bluetooth.
    - Wifi (inactive).
    - Airbag text for a market different than mine.
    - Clock.

App row same as before (but text removed relative to official video): Music, Nav, Calendar, Energy, Web, Camera, Phone.

11. boofagle

boofagle Member

12. neptune2000

WSJ: VIDEO - Test-Driving Tesla's Model S on 'Autopilot'

"Tesla adds a self-steering and parking function to its Model S and Model X that pushes the boundary on vehicle autonomy for the masses, but it bows to regulators on important issues."

Test-Driving Tesla

13. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

I'm getting a File Not Found error. Did WSJ pull this video?

14. neptune2000

Yes, they pulled it. Maybe it was too much of a positive review. I searched on google and the link is still there, but the link is now bad.

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 1.43.50 PM.png

15. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Probably broke an embargo.

16. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Let's use this thread to track what we learn about the actual version rolled out.
    Please no "I got it" / "I don't have it, yet", posts, we're going to use the firmware tracker again for that - it worked amazingly well for 6.2.

18. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I hope the roll-out is really 5-days as mentioned in Elon's tweet, and not 3 months like all the other previous non-emergency updates. I think that alone will reduce the number of "I got it / didn't get it" posts.

19. Kalud

Kalud Member

20. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I was really hoping for pictures and reports from people who ACTUALLY GOT the update. Not yet another dumping ground for pictures from press releases and press shots... :-(