Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the 26-minute video of my first attempt at autosteer and auto lane-change

Very good video for a 2AM drive. Thank you. Very informative and real-life.

Further clarifications and videos will come later, but this is my standard bearer for now :) Awesome.

I'd like to see someone on a 1 hour drive in (a) free flowing freeway (b) busy freeway in OK flow and (c) crappy flow such as rush hour. But no hurry: most of you can find this out for yourself in your cars :) And I might buy one in a few months if I get a windfall but otherwise it won't matter to me for years.

I'm in the "not hitting upgrade yet" camp, but here is a shot...
Ah, there are a few of us... and yes, I had missed that... Interesting. So in order to see that I'd have to open the Control view which goes on top of all of the apps on the center screen.
There's a word for that... wait... moronic? ...no... insanely stupid? ...not quite... CRAPTASTIC!!!
Yep, Hank was right all along. This is utterly CRAPTASTIC.
The design summer intern who came up with 7.0 over a long weekend most likely not only has never driven a Tesla nor seen a Tesla, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a drivers license... (and was stoned while working on this)

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a lousy one. I just took it to record my data. If you'd like a better one, I can go out to the garage and take a better shot of the full screen.
Thanks, Andyw2100 - no need to take another one. I appreciate the willingness.

A few more suggestions:

2. The turn signal should auto-cancel after an auto lane-change is complete, but I'm not sure if the turn signal stalk hardware supports that.

Good idea. A fair bit of discussion about this. Many seem to prefer a simple touch to do the job, not a full on turn signal that then needs to be cancelled. But your idea makes sense. Move over one lane, and then auto-cancel. If another lane change is immediately needed, then just do it again. It needs that much driver participation.

So if I'm not mistaken we are at about the 24h or "first day" mark now.
172 new installs reported in the tracker. I believe that's the highest single day number we've ever seen (and because of time zones it shows up as two days... oh well... the tracker has 161 updates in a single day). In the 6.x time frame we had a total of 506 cars report in the tracker which means about a third of those who feel like sharing their data in the tracker have received the update the same day. On top of that some (like myself) have received it and declined to update. So this is a MASSIVE roll-out. Hats off.

Some statistics (and PSA: this isn't representative, this is not a random sample, yada, yada, yada):
84% AP, 16% "classic"
69% "D", 31% RWD
Both of these ratios were much more leaning towards "AP" and "D" earlier in the day.
The bias towards 06xxxx VINs is still there but also diminishing (still, it's the biggest group by far). But if I look at the 6.2 statistics I'm beginning to think that this may be an oddity in our self-selected contributor base. For some reason the ratio of VINs in the 06xxxx range reporting is higher than any of the other ranges.

Anyway - amazing first day of the roll-out. If you haven't posted to the tracker, yet, please do so. It's a great data source and the more people contribute, the more we are able to learn from the data.

2. The turn signal should auto-cancel after an auto lane-change is complete, but I'm not sure if the turn signal stalk hardware supports that.

Good idea. A fair bit of discussion about this. Many seem to prefer a simple touch to do the job, not a full on turn signal that then needs to be cancelled. But your idea makes sense. Move over one lane, and then auto-cancel. If another lane change is immediately needed, then just do it again. It needs that much driver participation.

I think it is entirely possible that the turn signal stalk can't be physically returned from the "clicked" position via software. So as Todd suggests, this isn't something that can be added, since software can't physically move the stalk.

However as others have pointed out, you don't have to "click" the turn signal stalk in order to initiate the lane change. You can also just hold it in position, and then release it when the lane change is complete.

172 new installs reported in the tracker. I believe that's the highest single day number we've ever seen (and because of time zones it shows up as two days

I was thinking about this earlier. Unless the tracker's time zone is Hawaii or something, I think it shows up as two days due to user input error.

MarcG I believe was the first to post that he had completed the update, and that was at 1:30 or 2:00 AM Pacific Time. East Coast Time would be three hours later than that, not earlier. So either way, that would be 10/15/15. The server's time zone would have to be West of Pacific Time for the Time Zone to be the reason the first day was split in two days.

Edit: Adding some support to this, the first time I looked at the overall stats on this, some time Thursday morning, there were eight updates showing as having taken place on the 14th. Now there are ten.

...With a white car and night time setting, it leaves an very bright annoying little car graphic on the ic that disturbs my vision when glancing down.
This is why reading the forum is so valuable, to read the user experience that I would not have thought of. Signature red appears okay, but the headlights create extra white for everyone. I would appreciate the red brake lights to "light up" on the console car when regenerative braking takes place. (Some forum posts mention that they light up. Difficult to tell when driving.)

Enjoyed taking a long drive in the P85 Signature and the A/C is amazingly colder, even at higher settings.

Last edited:
I was a little worried about the UI at first, but I actually really really like it. i feel like the center of the dash is less cluttered now and at night there is less light coming off of things, which I really like.

Not having trip A/B on the dash hasn't been an issue for me even though I thought it would be. I record the information when I charge and it just means I have to look at the 17" now, which isn't a big deal. Having the "Current Trip" and since last charge on the dash has actually been better than trip A/B, since only A gets reset once a month

Autopilot is fun, and shows promise, but still very much beta. I'm fine with that. I know it'll get better. Get it right. I can be patient. It'll be great some day.

The new instrument cluster is a DISASTER. The old speedo was great. A lot of information, easy to read. The new one has almost no information and the one thing that really matters is behind where I like to put the steering wheel. It was ok when all that was up there were idiot lights, and I could move my head a little to check them now and then, but that's now the ONLY speed display. The cruise control display is opaque. The powermeter is part of the energy display and has become very difficult to read. It would be ok if it were there /too/ but keep the one on the speedo. The one thing that was not a significant change for the worse is the sensors display. Before, they came on at the "cheeks" of the speedo when a car was in your blind spot (or you were driving in the rain....). Now they tell you which sensor is seeing something, which is a little bit useful--except the way they did it, with a lot of bright flashes on an otherwise mostly blank screen, is distracting.

"Flat" screen graphics became obsolete the same time windows 2 did. We did flat graphics because the graphics cards we were using weren't capable of more. We went to "grey beveled edges" as soon as it was possible, because it was better. It didn't stop being better because some idiot in apples graphic design department didn't know any better, and Steve Jobs wasn't there to stop them. It's easier to tell what is a button and what is supporting graphics. It's easier to tell whether the button is highlighted or not. Our eyes are good at interpreting a lot of nuance from very subtle depth cues, which can easily be spoofed with a few pixels of shading...we should take advantage. Following the herd is not such a good idea if it is lemmings leading the way.

--Snortybartfast

I've seen a few references to autopilot 'learning' by having all the cars running around, but how does it do this?

what inputs does it record? How does it apply it? Where does this data go? How does it get disseminated back to the cars? How does it put the learnings into practise (surely sat Nav location isn't accurate enough to teach cars to move over a few inches in a certain street or awkward intersection?).

I'm jealous of the people who have had good AP experiences. Mine have been at least 50% terrible ... err, I mean exciting. Very exciting to me and everyone around me, in a "hope we're not going to crash" kind of way.

The lane markings on the highways around here are not bad at all. They're actually very obvious and visible to humans. But they are clearly not what the car is looking for. What the car is looking for is paint. Solid, painted white stripes.

What we have here in Vegas are reflectors. Raised, rounded reflectors that we call turtles. A series of 4 of them takes the place of a single stripe, so the lane marking is a repeating series of 4 turtles, with about the same length and spacing as painted stripes.

In daylight the car flat out refuses to recognize the lanes at all. It wouldn't even go into autosteer on a well-marked freeway!

At night it's even worse, because the car sort of recognizes the reflectors, but it constantly drifts around in the lane as it adjusts where it thinks it should be. Twice the side impact warning went off due to excessive drift, and I'm not sure it would have stayed in the lane at all if I hadn't grabbed the wheel. I'm lucky I didn't get pulled over for a field sobriety test.

Tesla, please come do some testing in Vegas! It's not that far to go, and you'll really like it here. For now, AP is not usable on the highways I normally drive (215 and 95).

I guess the problem is similar to this one in Hawaii. Maybe you could do some testing there too!

Just took my first drive with autosteering and auto lane change. I found it has a hard time recognzing the raised dotted lines here and only recognized the solid lines on the freeway which was pretty much the edge of fast lane and slow lane. So because it doesn't recognize the dotted lane lines, when I when to auto lane change to the lane to the right of the fast lane, it went to the lane and then immediately veered back to the fast lane since it couldn't read the lane lines. Oh sh*t! Scared the hell out of me. It also had a bias to one side at some points though veering pretty close to the edge of the lane a few times.

Last edited:
Just got an image of your car trying to weave in and out of every reflector/turtle! LOL

In all seriousness - they should try and sort that out.

I'm intrigued to see how it works where two lanes merge into one or where one lane separates into two. Just so desperate to get it downloaded now but car is registering any update yet. I'll probably end up being day 5. This is going to be the longest 5 days ever....

I'm jealous of the people who have had good AP experiences. Mine have been at least 50% terrible ... err, I mean exciting. Very exciting to me and everyone around me, in a "hope we're not going to crash" kind of way.

The lane markings on the highways around here are not bad at all. They're actually very obvious and visible to humans. But they are clearly not what the car is looking for. What the car is looking for is paint. Solid, painted white stripes.

What we have here in Vegas are reflectors. Raised, rounded reflectors that we call turtles. A series of 4 of them takes the place of a single stripe, so the lane marking is a repeating series of 4 turtles, with about the same length and spacing as painted stripes.

In daylight the car flat out refuses to recognize the lanes at all. It wouldn't even go into autosteer on a well-marked freeway!

At night it's even worse, because the car sort of recognizes the reflectors, but it constantly drifts around in the lane as it adjusts where it thinks it should be. Twice the side impact warning went off due to excessive drift, and I'm not sure it would have stayed in the lane at all if I hadn't grabbed the wheel. I'm lucky I didn't get pulled over for a field sobriety test.

Tesla, please come do some testing in Vegas! It's not that far to go, and you'll really like it here. For now, AP is not usable on the highways I normally drive (215 and 95).

I guess the problem is similar to this one in Hawaii. Maybe you could do some testing there too!

Just got an image of your car trying to weave in and out of every reflector/turtle! LOL

In all seriousness - they should try and sort that out.

I'm intrigued to see how it works where two lanes merge into one or where one lane separates into two. Just so desperate to get it downloaded now but car is registering any update yet. I'll probably end up being day 5. This is going to be the longest 5 days ever....

During the press event on 10/14 Tesla said "The 7.0 release starts in the US on a rolling basis tomorrow, and will proceed to Europe and Asia in the coming weeks pending regulatory approval".

Besides the lane marking issues, here are my 7.0 observations:

1. The speedometer is hidden behind the top arc of the steering wheel in my preferred setting. Not good. I had to adjust the steering wheel to an uncomfortable position just to see how fast I was going.
2. The air conditioning blows arctic air even when set to 75F. Before, I thought I was setting the temperature of the AC air. Now it seems like I am setting a cabin air temp that the car is trying to achieve ASAP by any means necessary. Kudos for the increased cooling power, but I liked the old way better.
3. If I press on the turn signal without clicking it into place, I want to change lanes. OK fine, the car starts changing lanes. When it gets at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the way into the new lane, I should be able to let go of the stalk and have the car complete the lane change. Instead, it scares the hell out of me and everyone around me by veering sharply back into the original lane. This is not ideal.

Sorry to be so negative. I do think AP has enormous potential. The massive improvements in TACC in less than a year show how much can be accomplished. But for now, AP is clearly in beta with a lot of work still to be done.