Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. If I press on the turn signal without clicking it into place, I want to change lanes. OK fine, the car starts changing lanes. When it gets at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the way into the new lane, I should be able to let go of the stalk and have the car complete the lane change. Instead, it scares the hell out of me and everyone around me by veering sharply back into the original lane. This is not ideal.
I do think AP has enormous potential. The massive improvements in TACC in less than a year show how much can be accomplished. But for now, AP is clearly in beta with a lot of work still to be done.
clicking is recommended in the user manual. I think it is intended to avoid accidental lane change, which is a good thing imo.

clicking is recommended in the user manual. I think it is intended to avoid accidental lane change, which is a good thing imo.
I get it, but if I'm holding the stalk in position long enough to get halfway into the new lane, that's not an accidental touch. And besides, the car knows the lane is clear to merge, so, accidental or not, continuing the merge at that point is less dangerous than suddenly veering back.

These things are #754 and #1,543 on Tesla's priority list

That's too bad, because as someone who doesn't have AP, they are 1 and 2 on mine.

And, really, all Tesla had to do was not change it. The old system worked fine. It took an affirmative effort on Tesla's part to make my car worse.

I'm not super psyched about giving them a pass on that.

"YOUR AUTOPILOT HAS ARRIVED" the three emails from Tesla say.

Wow, they really do not know how to communicate, do they. Nor, apparently, how to personalize emails based on customer's car. You know, owners who DON'T OWN autopilot hardware or parking sensors or any of that. Sure would be nice if Tesla could not rub it in. They even try to get you to trade in your apparently now crappy pre-autopilot Model S so you can "arrive" too.

Tesla's communications are clueless.

Nor, apparently, how to personalize emails based on customer's car. You know, owners who DON'T OWN autopilot hardware or parking sensors or any of that. Sure would be nice if Tesla could not rub it in. They even try to get you to trade in your apparently now crappy pre-autopilot Model S so you can "arrive" too.

Uh, that would be the point. It's called "Marketing".

Uh, that would be the point. It's called "Marketing".
no, it's called bad marketing. Today firms mine social media to do target marketing. Not to mention their own database. I think the problem is more that Tesla marketing is deluded. They think they can sell cars like iPhones... People will upgrade every 1 to 3 years. I also felt a little prickly upon receiving email. And I don't even want AP!

Coiled - I'm with ya. The speed indicator is now hidden behind the top of the steering wheel. I too had to shift the wheel position up so I could see how fast I'm going. Same with when I'm shifting into drive, that is now hidden by the right part of the wheel. Super annoying.

Personally I probably won't use autopilot much. Therefore the center display is now just an annoying distraction which is basically in autopilot mode whether or not I'm using it.

Seriously wish I hadn't updated to 7.0. To get all my information, I now need to look left to get my power, look down and left for my range, look under my steering wheel to get my speed, look right to get the time, and have to fiddle with some 1940s convoluted layout to change music stations. Its seriously bad.

They need to allow us to change the CENTER, not just the right and left widgets.

I don't understand why so many people need to adjust the steering wheel to see the speed or the drive indicators...?

I'm tall, sit almost all the way back (if anything I should see less than the people who are right next to the steering wheel), and I can see the FULL IC, corner to corner.

"YOUR AUTOPILOT HAS ARRIVED" the three emails from Tesla say.

Wow, they really do not know how to communicate, do they. Nor, apparently, how to personalize emails based on customer's car. You know, owners who DON'T OWN autopilot hardware or parking sensors or any of that. Sure would be nice if Tesla could not rub it in. They even try to get you to trade in your apparently now crappy pre-autopilot Model S so you can "arrive" too.

Tesla's communications are clueless.

It was sent to all people who even do not own cars and have expressed interest in the keep me updated email list.

I don't understand why so many people need to adjust the steering wheel to see the speed or the drive indicators...?
Because different people are different?

I'm tall, sit almost all the way back (if anything I should see less than the people who are right next to the steering wheel), and I can see the FULL IC, corner to corner.
Lucky you. Seriously? If one size fit all, about 95% of the floor space in clothing stores could be put to better uses. "Here's your size, sir. No need to bother trying it on, we know you're 185 cm tall."

no, it's called bad marketing. Today firms mine social media to do target marketing. Not to mention their own database. I think the problem is more that Tesla marketing is deluded. They think they can sell cars like iPhones... People will upgrade every 1 to 3 years. I also felt a little prickly upon receiving email. And I don't even want AP!

I dunno - seems like a current tesla owner would be the perfect target audience to sell another tesla to. And just curious - why don't you want AP? The system only gets better from here on out, and it's not like you can't still drive manually (at least for now!) if you want to...

What we have here in Vegas are reflectors. Raised, rounded reflectors that we call turtles. A series of 4 of them takes the place of a single stripe, so the lane marking is a repeating series of 4 turtles, with about the same length and spacing as painted stripes.

In daylight the car flat out refuses to recognize the lanes at all. It wouldn't even go into autosteer on a well-marked freeway!

Tesla, please come do some testing in Vegas! It's not that far to go, and you'll really like it here. For now, AP is not usable on the highways I normally drive (215 and 95).

I spend a lot of time in Vegas playing poker and I frequently complain to my friends that live there that I cannot see the lane marking at all during the day (they do work great at night). I'm not terribly surprised that the Tesla struggles there. On the six to eight lane surface streets, I literally just sort of pick an area that seems like it should be a lane.

I don't think that is actually much of a real world problem. When you hold the stalk there is a fairly substantial delay before the car starts to change lanes. The line you are about to cross turned dotted blue from solid and the car fairly slowly changes. If you release the stalk even when the car is less than approximately halfway through the lane change it just ambles back into your lane.

Because different people are different?

Lucky you. Seriously? If one size fit all, about 95% of the floor space in clothing stores could be put to better uses. "Here's your size, sir. No need to bother trying it on, we know you're 185 cm tall."

It was a legit question, I didn't berate anyone, no need to get snarky.

There do seem to be some real improvements to the nav system. I forgot to post that last night. Previously, every time I made a trip to the DC area, the nav system would always insist that I should stop at the Richmond supercharger on the way out of town and would often try to re-route me backwards to it once I passed it. On my trip last night, that seemed to have been corrected. Because I wasn't leaving with a full charge, I was going to arrive at the Woodbridge supercharger with around 23% charge left and the nav still ignored the local supercharger. After I started the trip, we realized we still needed to do something else, ran a few errands and then when we reset the nav, it did want to stop at the local supercharger, because I was projected to arrive in Woodbridge at 19%. I think that is reasonable behavior, although I'm perfectly comfortable cutting it closer than 20%. It would be nice if you could set the threshold for adding a stop. It likes 20% and I'd probably be happier with 15% or even 10% in the right conditions.