Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I'd call it unrealistic. It's pretty easy for Tesla to add logic to firmware to "limit feature at location W if maps have XYZ data there" and then push the map updates later (as unprompted, non-firmware "updates").

Please see above.

I have no idea whether it is realistic or not, and wasn't making a judgment as to that. I merely assumed that wk057 must be thinking it was unrealistic, or he would not be considering taking the firmware upgrade, since he has stated many times he is not willing to give up auto-pilot functionality he currently has.

I think you realize that, but are actually just trying to make a point as to why wk057 may not want to take the update. I'm just pointing out the above for the casual reader.

That is an interesting consideration, however I'm not certain if the risk of that sort of thing is in fact any greater on the newer firmware vs the older ones. Keep in mind that in the HK situation the removal of AP was done without changing FW versions, and on a version lower than what we're seeing rolling out now.

If they are in fact going to cripple it after the fact, it may be that they would do it even on the older FW, they just hadn't thought of it yet when they wrote the release notes for those ones.

My thinking is that if there is extensive testing of the new firmware without any restrictions showing, I'd be willing to risk an upgrade to it, as I doubt I'm any more immune to those changes on 2.9.12 than I would be on the newer firmwares. If however someone does find an actual situation where they hit the limit, while others of us have not seen it, then I would definitely not upgrade any further.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure I'd call it unrealistic. It's pretty easy for Tesla to add logic to firmware to "limit feature at location W if maps have XYZ data there" and then push the map updates later (as unprompted, non-firmware "updates").
Does that mean we'd actually get a map update?????

Does that mean we'd actually get a map update?????

Slightly off topic but since you brought it up...I was at the SvC the other day and I was complaining again about how awful and inaccurate the NAV system is for me and the manager said that the maps, logic, and OS for the NAV is Navigon/Garmin and hasn't been updated in about 2 years (as you mentioned). The display is Google maps but Garmin is controlling it. Sounded to me like it was some sort of problem between those two companies.

Slightly off topic but since you brought it up...I was at the SvC the other day and I was complaining again about how awful and inaccurate the NAV system is for me and the manager said that the maps, logic, and OS for the NAV is Navigon/Garmin and hasn't been updated in about 2 years (as you mentioned). The display is Google maps but Garmin is controlling it. Sounded to me like it was some sort of problem between those two companies.
This is something Tesla needs to sort out, we have a connected car, not having map updates is ridiculous. Either get their vendor to provide updates, or switch to a new vendor.

Ok, the AP seems to work exactly as before, and I engaged it at 50mph on a road with center divider that eventually becomes a residential road with no divider and it worked exactly as before.

The only change I see with the 2.9.68 version from 2.7.77 is that the Wh/mi Circle icon in the IC now shows what the average is for the last 5/15/30miles depending on what you have it on in the 17" display., as below shows: and damn, the iPhone for flipping it but you get the idea.

IMG_3972.JPG
IMG_3971.JPG

They could also have that coded to only work off the high-detail maps generated from regular driving once they are compiled and sent out to the fleet. I know once person at least said he was concerned if it misread an interstate as a residential street.

I don't know yet. It's really gross out today. I will try tomorrow and report back. All I read on screen that was new was the Launch Mode and Nav fixes, same as someone else posted for 2.9.40. Then the rest below that seems to be the original 7.0 notes. It does say that AP is not available above 45mph on residential roads, but that's in the 7.0 notes so think that's been there all along? Can't remember but maybe someone who hasn't updated can check and see if theirs says something different?

I've kept copies of the release notes from the 4 versions of V 7 firmware that's been installed in my S (2.7.56, 2.7.77, 2.9.40, 2.9.68) No mention of the 45mph restriction in 2.7.77 release notes but it is in 2.9.40.

Regarding 2.9.68, just installed it an hour or so ago. Install took about 30 minutes. Just did a line-by-line 2.9.40 vs 2.9.68 release notes comparison and did not see any difference. Anyone here see any differences in their copies?

My bad. I only had 2.7.77 until now, but didn't see mention of this before. So many changes that it's hard to really notice them all. But I am super pleased that she got Launch Mode for Christmas. Although I doubt I'll ever actually use that. Regular mode in Ludicrous is fast enough! Well, I may try it once.

Last edited:
Had 2.9.68 installed on my car (p85d) yesterday. Immediately started having weird issues. Totally random airbag light, that when it kicks on will disable CC or AP, and pops up a message on the instrument panel that says something to the effect that CC is disabled because driver's seat belt is unbuckled. Of course seat belt is actually buckled, and yet the funny thing is that the seatbelt light doesn't even come on. Texted my local tech, and he figured it was just a glitch with the install process, so he pushed it to the car again. I just got done reinstalling, and still the same issues.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Had 2.9.68 installed on my car (p85d) yesterday. Immediately started having weird issues. Totally random airbag light, that when it kicks on will disable CC or AP, and pops up a message on the instrument panel that says something to the effect that CC is disabled because driver's seat belt is unbuckled. Of course seat belt is actually buckled, and yet the funny thing is that the seatbelt light doesn't even come on. Texted my local tech, and he figured it was just a glitch with the install process, so he pushed it to the car again. I just got done reinstalling, and still the same issues.

There are so few people with this version, since it doesn't look like it is being distributed OTA, that the probability of someone else experiencing this and not already having posted about it is probably pretty low. I think you're probably on your own on this.

I've read of partially failed updates in the past where the SC had to get involved physically (rather than OTA) to rectify the failed firmware installation. My guess is that another trip to an SC is in your immediate future.

Sorry to hear it.

I had 2.9.68 installed at the service center yesterday. As I posted earlier I saw no difference in the release notes between this and the previous update, 2.9.40, and the only difference I've seen with the car is the heater seems to be more effective. Certainly have not had any of the issues you mentioned.

Hopefully your service center can set things right in short order.

I've not had any of these issues. I suggest you call national support (available 7x24x365) 877-798-3752 and select technical support via the prompts. They can see some detail on your MS, and will then connect your problem back with the SC as need be. Good luck!

Can't believe I beat dirkhh to the thread. ;)

The first Model X owner posted a firmware tracker update (Thanks, Bonnie!)

And her Model X is running the same firmware as Model S -- 2.9.68.

Discuss.

edit: OOPS! I got it wrong. Looks like MaxK posted earlier today with FW version 2.9.74, with a MX vin 006xx. Are they shipping Model X with VINs that high already? Founders? And 2.9.74 looks like a Model X only build for now.

Last edited:
Can't believe I beat dirkhh to the thread. ;)

The first Model X owner posted a firmware tracker update (Thanks, Bonnie!)

And her Model X is running the same firmware as Model S -- 2.9.68.

Discuss.

edit: OOPS! I got it wrong. Looks like MaxK posted earlier today with FW version 2.9.74, with a MX vin 006xx. Are they shipping Model X with VINs that high already? Founders?

Oh Hank - you're WAY late... I asked MaxK to post, already gave him reputation points, etc... And yes, we have a few Sigs with fairly high numbers that are being delivered. I also asked MaxK to name that release :)

Yes, there's all kinds of references to the Model X in the current system on the Model S, so that tells me they use the same CID software. I'm sure the various body modules have some differences, but Tesla builds that unique for each car.