Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it definitely isn't ready for non beta city driving. They were clear on this. However highway driving works very well in my opinion. I experienced very little nag warnings at all. Drove 15 miles twice without ever having to touch the wheel.

Thanks MarcG. Excellent video. Noticed you like Celsius but not KM. :)

The nag requirement seems not necessary compared to other things that can go wrong during non-nag time, such as AP attempting to exit unwantingly.

Can't wait to try it! Updating now.

The attempt to exit erroneously, and the apparent inability to sense rapidly overtaking cars for a lane change show probably two of hundreds of situations AP doesn't handle well. Did the car see the temporary cones blocking the two left lanes?

Really exciting, and really sobering. A fully autonomous car in three ears? No. But very cool, and very useful on the highway under good conditions.

I think the nag is not based on time, counting down, but on the expected upcoming situation, unclear markings, whatever.

This - and in theory, the more you drive the car over that road, the less nag you'll get based on the information that was released regarding the self learning. I'm thinking the overall competency of the system in the next couple of weeks is going to be significantly better than today.

This - and in theory, the more you drive the car over that road, the less nag you'll get based on the information that was released regarding the self learning. I'm thinking the overall competency of the system in the next couple of weeks is going to be significantly better than today.

I hope you're right but watching the video, it would appear that it was nagging frequently, and each time on a highway with clear lane markings stretching well into the distance (and at night, when it supposedly works best). Would be a little more comforted if it was nagging when there were exits coming up, bad weather, bad markings, construction, or similar, but that did not look to be the case.

The Autopilot musical selections for the morning - Styx, Mr. Roboto or Queen, Bohmemian Rhapsody. Mr. Robot made me think it was just a fantasy...... Enjoy!

IMG_9013.JPG
IMG_9023.JPG

Well it definitely isn't ready for non beta city driving. They were clear on this. However highway driving works very well in my opinion. I experienced very little nag warnings at all. Drove 15 miles twice without ever having to touch the wheel.

Well then perhaps I was wrong about my assumptions based on the posted video. In this case, I would love to be wrong!

Update complete!! :biggrin:

Version landed at: 7.0 (2.7.56)

As promised, here are the release notes:

A huge, HUGE thank you to MarcG for taking the time to do this, and for making and posting the video (which I am very much looking forward to watching.) This takes me back to the earliest days of P85D deliveries, and Marc helping out the community by filming and sharing his (the first TMC) delivery appointment!

Thanks so much, Marc! (Rep points will be given after I've "spread some around.")

Installed the update early this morning (eastern time) and used it for my commute which is a mix of surface streets and interstate. I'm impressed overall, but did have to take over steering a couple times, notably when the car seemed to pull towards a highway exit lane opening and I wanted to continue straight. One other situation involved a curved surface road with an intersecting road in one of the curves. The car seemed to quickly lose track of the road but did not display any warnings instructing me to take over.

Highway driving was exceptionally smooth. After a couple minutes auto steer had gained my trust and it did a brilliant job, even when my car was pointed into the sun. The car does seem to react a little slower to steering than I typically do; in other words I'll bank into a turn just before a the road starts to bend, autopilot waited until the lanes actually curved. That was a little unnerving at first as I was wondering "should I grab the wheel" but after a few miles I was satisfied it would handle correctly. Auto lane change was particularly impressive, although there wasn't any traffic in the next Lane when I tried it. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to fully engage the turn signal stalk (not just tap it like you'd normally do when signaling a lane change) then manually turn it off when you're finished merging.

Performance on surface streets was remarkably good, and yes, I'm aware it's designed for highway use. The roads in my area are generally well maintained and marked, and the steering / TACC made for a smooth experience, very similar to what I'd expect from a human driver. One word of caution, when stopped at a traffic light with auto steer engaged the car ahead of me turned right on red and my car started to lurch forward, which would have taken me through an intersection with a red light. In the past, with TACC enabled I'd get a "hold" notification when stopped for more than a brief time and have to tap the accelerator pedal to continue. That behavior seems to be changed in this release.

For what it's worth I didn't have any nag warnings to put my hand on the wheel, although since this was all new to me I didn't go extended periods without grabbing it instinctively.

The auto steer / TACC display on the instrument cluster is familiar and intuitive. At first I didn't like the toy car from the leaked V7 screen shots, but after driving with it I'm happy to say it makes total sense to display things this way. It's a good presentation of information related to auto pilot, although I'm not sure how useful it would be in pre-autopilot vehicles. The regen app is similarly simple and familiar, albeit smaller and in a different location. The apps on the 17" display operate the same way as in V6 but have squared edges

Overall, I'm happy with this release. I'd be a little hesitant to say it was "worth the wait" since it has been a year since it was announced, but it feels refined, well engineered and very much suited for the Model S.