Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot drove me to work this morning--about 70% of my 35 mile drive. Thoughts:

1. About 15 mi of my morning commute was on the interstate at 70 mph. It did a pretty good job (great job?) on the highway. (I don't know, I have no experience with automatic steering in other cars so don't have anything to compare it against). I did not touch the steering wheel at all for the 15 minutes after I entered the highway until I approached the exit ramp. However, I kept my hands right by the wheel--and will continue to do so for quite awhile.

2. TACC is much better at handling cars that change lanes in front of you (much less abrupt slowing down--much more gradual).

3. The steering on the highway is occasionally slightly jerky. This usually happened when going over a bridge/overpass in which the pavement changed from light-colored asphalt to dark-colored asphalt. It stayed in the lane, but corrected a little more aggresively than a human would. I'm sure this will smooth out over time.

4. I drove about 10 miles on surface streets with autopilot engaged. A word of warning: This is obviously not recommended by Tesla, and if you want to try this, I *strongly* urge you to be extremely cautious. When I did this, I kept my hands loosely wrapped around the wheel (not touching it, but squeezing my hands would have grabbed it) almost the entire time. There were three times where I had to take control suddenly:

a. The first was when traveling into the sun, and I was on a 4-lane divided country road (2 lanes in each direction). I was in the left lane, and a turn lane split off to the left. The lanes were painted, but the car tried to steer toward the turn lane--it seemed fairly abruptly (more abrupt than I would have turned if I were going into that turn lane). I immediately took over.

b. A little further down the same road--again painted fairly well, but facing the morning sun--the car started drifting to the left too much for my comfort, so I took over. Sun was probably a factor.

c. In the middle of intersections (unpainted lanes), if following a car it seems to do ok, however there is an occasional slightly jerky correction. Without a car to follow, sometimes it worked, and sometimes I felt like I had to take over.

So that's my first experience with autopilot. Overall, TACC is smoother. I had a few pucker factor moments with autopilot, so I urge everyone to use caution for awhile until you really get to know the limits of the system. But it is pretty good for its intended use, and should only be getting better.

Based on the video, it would appear to be much more aggressive with the nag than a lot of people would have hoped, about as bad as it could have been without actually requiring hands on the wheel 100% of the time. And yes, it does appear to be exactly that...a nag which occurs about every minute, even when there's no apparent reason for it to have lost track of lane markings.

There is NO nag if not needed. Like I wrote above, I drove 15 minutes on the highway this morning without a single nag. Never touched the wheel.

Drove to work with autopilot this morning - Houston rush hour traffic - 35 mile commute.

Its going to take getting used to. It requires you to keep your hands on the wheel - horrible! Hopefully when its not "BETA" anymore this will go away. Pretty much kills the idea of the car driving itself, at least to me.

I hope they improve the algorithm. It hugs the outside of the curve instead of the inside for some reason. And when passing other cars it doesn't move over any to give them room. I think most of us like a little space between our car and the car in the next lane.

It did change lanes well. Sometimes if traffic is heavy it won't change and you have to do it yourself. But if its clear enough it changes decisively. Once it told me to "TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY" after I finished a lane change but I think it might be that I was changing lanes right into an exit ramp off the freeway - maybe it got confused.

I was nervous the whole time, so it didn't really "help my commute" this time. Hopefully as I get used to it I'll be able to relax and enjoy it.

It never did anything dangerous. It handled close calls when other cars dived in front of me well, and when there was a large concrete barrier lining the road next to the car it didn't have any problem.

Generally very impressed. Hoping for improvements.

Did it ask to hold wheel every 1-2mins like what MarcG experienced?

I did not experience that. It only asked me to hold the wheel twice during the 20 mile commute and that was while going around fairly sharp curves.

- - - Updated - - -

Did it serve coffee and donuts on the way.:rolleyes:

yes, but the coffee was too weak and had too much creamer. It will probably improve with version 7.1.

a. The first was when traveling into the sun, and I was on a 4-lane divided country road (2 lanes in each direction). I was in the left lane, and a turn lane split off to the left. The lanes were painted, but the car tried to steer toward the turn lane--it seemed fairly abruptly (more abrupt than I would have turned if I were going into that turn lane). I immediately took over.

Great early report, thanks!

This is an interesting observation, and seems to imply that the lane recognition is biased toward looking first for the edges of the total pavement, making it vulnerable when the road enlarges (another degree of freedom opening up).

Hopefully your data just made the "fleet" smarter already! :wink:

Have to wait until it comes to you. Seems it's coming more frequently to those on wifi and haven't heard reports yet of it going to non-AP cars. Fortunately, this is supposed to roll out over a few days, compared to weeks/months for others in the past!

Great early report, thanks!

This is an interesting observation, and seems to imply that the lane recognition is biased toward looking first for the edges of the total pavement, making it vulnerable when the road enlarges (another degree of freedom opening up).

Hopefully your data just made the "fleet" smarter already! :wink:

Yes--I did not have my turn signal on, and had the car been paying more attention to the dashed stripes to the car's right (the middle of the two lanes of traffic going in one direction), it should have continued tracking the lane. This is I'm sure something that will be improved fairly rapidly...probably within a month.

It must be a white-knuckled "Christmas Morning" for the AutoPilot engineers, as well as Elon! I imagine that a bunch of them will be glued to the telemetry coming back from the fleet to see how these early experiences are going. Sure they have the previous beta data, but now the data rate is going up by one or two orders of magnitude in just a matter of hours!

Drove to work with autopilot this morning - Houston rush hour traffic - 35 mile commute.

Its going to take getting used to. It requires you to keep your hands on the wheel - horrible! Hopefully when its not "BETA" anymore this will go away. Pretty much kills the idea of the car driving itself, at least to me.

I hope they improve the algorithm. It hugs the outside of the curve instead of the inside for some reason. And when passing other cars it doesn't move over any to give them room. I think most of us like a little space between our car and the car in the next lane.

What are you talking about having to keep your hands on the steering wheel? See my pictures - mine was driving without my hands on the steering wheel. Although you should certainly keep them ready just in case. If you are referring to the legal warnings - well obviously the lawyers are going to require the disclaimer that your hands must be on the steering wheel.

Here are MarcG's images sized down a bit and properly rotated.

image-(0).jpg
image-(1).jpg
image-(2).jpg
image-(3).jpg
image-(4).jpg
image-(5).jpg
image-(6).jpg
image-(7).jpg
image-(8).jpg
image-(9).jpg
image-(10).jpg
image-(11).jpg