Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few more suggestions:

1. The autopilot chimes could be a little louder, IMHO. Can we control them somewhere? Not that I found.

2. The turn signal should auto-cancel after an auto lane-change is complete, but I'm not sure if the turn signal stalk hardware supports that.

c) I did not miss the energy/regen meter. IMHO it was fine in the energy graph. I also don't understand the argument as to why people feel they need this front and center, although I wouldn't mind it being a more permanent part of the display, perhaps next to or around the speedo.

If you're not driving it (Autopilot enabled), I can see the power meter being good for information only (you can't act upon that info). But when you're actually driving the car, the power meter is a necessary tool to enhance energy efficiency.

I just did my 42 mile commute through NYC rush hour traffic. Overall I was impressed, but a few trouble spots:

It can be very dangerous at high speeds around sharp bends! I ran into problems on the Merritt Parkway north of NYC where traffic goes 70-80 despite posted speed limits of 50 even through hairpin turns. I was impressed that it performed well on the West Side Highway (where many reviewers tried it)

Sometimes I didn't agree with the car's choice of being off-center in the lane. For example, on the right lane where there's a barrier on the left and relatively narrow lanes, the car decides to stay away from the barrier on the right because its technically closer to my lane than the car on the right, but when I'm driving I'm much more worried about the car on the right drifting a little bit into my lane. I see no way of giving feedback in a situation like this - the system doesn't take input for slight tweaks.

If you're not driving it (Autopilot enabled), I can see the power meter being good for information only (you can't act upon that info). But when you're actually driving the car, the power meter is a necessary tool to enhance energy efficiency.

On my 35 mile commute to work, on a mix of highway and surface streets, I routinely get 249 Wh/mi to 270 Wh/mi (no net altitude change, but occasional small rolling hills). I don't need to reference the power meter for this--everything can be sensed by feel. (It's not like you're doing calculations based on the power numbers). My car's average over the last 12,000 miles is now 284 Wh/mi, and I usually go 5 mph over the speed limit, with plenty of launches and spots of aggressive driving tossed in.

About 18h worth of data in the tracker. 131 records, 94% (all but 7) for AP cars, 78% for 'D's (but they are likely over-represented in the AP population).
VINs in the 06xxxx range still seem strangely predominant. I don't have enough data for a decent statistical analysis here, but this does seem odd (more than 1/3rd of the upgrades went to about 1/11th of the VIN range)

About 18h worth of data in the tracker. 131 records, 94% (all but 7) for AP cars, 78% for 'D's (but they are likely over-represented in the AP population).
VINs in the 06xxxx range still seem strangely predominant. I don't have enough data for a decent statistical analysis here, but this does seem odd (more than 1/3rd of the upgrades went to about 1/11th of the VIN range)
Maybe they are using the same random number generator they use for shuffling music. :)

Probably the quality of Houston's roads. ;)

Quality of the roads or the traffic on them. After work drove home on Beltway 8 instead of using 59 and I-10. I kept my hands near the wheel but not touching it the whole way home (about 25 miles on the beltway) and was only nagged once to put my hands on the wheel.

I have to admit, right now autopilot isn't making my commute any easier because I'm sitting there anxious, fearful. I don't trust it yet. I wonder if I ever will. Maybe I'm too old to get used to it. I like it, but I keep expecting it to do something stupid at any moment.

Aside from that, I don't like the way it stays too close to the right side of the lane, and doesn't react when cars/trucks pass on the right. The car is probably 3 feet closer to them than it would be if I were steering, and I'm not liking it.

Quality of the roads or the traffic on them. After work drove home on Beltway 8 instead of using 59 and I-10. I kept my hands near the wheel but not touching it the whole way home (about 25 miles on the beltway) and was only nagged once to put my hands on the wheel.

I have to admit, right now autopilot isn't making my commute any easier because I'm sitting there anxious, fearful. I don't trust it yet. I wonder if I ever will. Maybe I'm too old to get used to it. I like it, but I keep expecting it to do something stupid at any moment.

Aside from that, I don't like the way it stays too close to the right side of the lane, and doesn't react when cars/trucks pass on the right. The car is probably 3 feet closer to them than it would be if I were steering, and I'm not liking it.

Give it time. This is the worst AP will ever be.

If you're not driving it (Autopilot enabled), I can see the power meter being good for information only (you can't act upon that info).

That's not really true.

If a car passes you and then cuts back into your lane very close to you, you might want to override the TACC, and quickly match the current power output, before the TACC temporarily brakes, since you know in just a few seconds the faster moving car will be far enough ahead of you that TACC won't need to slow you down. Another example where you might want to temporarily override TACC, and would need to use the power meter would be if you wanted to keep the power draw near 0 going down a hill, instead of allowing regen to kick in.

So there definitely are ways we can act on info found in the power meter even when TACC is active.

I saw that the update was available when I left for school/work this morning. When I got to my destination I started the update. After work/school I saw a message on the dash that Driver assistance was unavailable and to contact tesla. It was after tesla service hours so I figured that I would just drive home like normal. When I tried engage TACC I got an alert message that cruise control was disabled. I pulled over when I in a parking lot to reset the screen to see if that would fix it but it didn't.
IMG_20151015_172425_650[1].jpg
IMG_20151015_172421_186[1].jpg

That's not really true.

If a car passes you and then cuts back into your lane very close to you, you might want to override the TACC, and quickly match the current power output, before the TACC temporarily brakes, since you know in just a few seconds the faster moving car will be far enough ahead of you that TACC won't need to slow you down. Another example where you might want to temporarily override TACC, and would need to use the power meter would be if you wanted to keep the power draw near 0 going down a hill, instead of allowing regen to kick in.

So there definitely are ways we can act on info found in the power meter even when TACC is active.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but I can confirm that you can override the throttle to accelerate a bit in cases like this without disengaging auto steer.

That's not really true.

This all breaks down to: "please, fans of the new UI, don't tell others how they should feel about the new UI and don't tell us that the things that we want to use aren't useful... they are useful to us"

I have no intention of telling anyone that they shouldn't like the new UI. Or that the reasons that they like the new UI are invalid. I just respectfully ask them to do the same to us who have concerns about the new UI.

Sometimes I didn't agree with the car's choice of being off-center in the lane. For example, on the right lane where there's a barrier on the left and relatively narrow lanes, the car decides to stay away from the barrier on the right because its technically closer to my lane than the car on the right, but when I'm driving I'm much more worried about the car on the right drifting a little bit into my lane. I see no way of giving feedback in a situation like this - the system doesn't take input for slight tweaks.

I started a thread with an idea on this, for future enhancements. The thread is here:
Possible Autosteer Enhancement - Temporary Left or Right Side Lane Preference

I saw that the update was available when I left for school/work this morning. When I got to my destination I started the update. After work/school I saw a message on the dash that Driver assistance was unavailable and to contact tesla. It was after tesla service hours so I figured that I would just drive home like normal. When I tried engage TACC I got an alert message that cruise control was disabled. I pulled over when I in a parking lot to reset the screen to see if that would fix it but it didn't.
View attachment 98100View attachment 98101

There has also been reports of a part compatibility issue on the driveline and that some cars had and will need to have the part replaced. Contact your Local SC

Minor gripe here - you don't get tire pressures if you have coil suspension - according to Tesla tech support just now. Big Bummer! My Volt doesn't have air suspension and it gives individual tire pressures. Seems a petty way to get people to buy air suspension if that's the idea.