Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 2.20.45 on Sunday, and then today, for the first time ever, the 17" display computer crashed and rebooted itself. I was driving, had the camera at the top and Nav at the bottom with a destination programmed. Just as I approached my destination, the Tesla T logo appeared in the middle of the screen, then the screen went blank, music stopped, and the computer rebooted, just like it does when you press and hold both scroll wheels (and no, I didn't do it). It has only happened once and there are no lasting effects that I can see. Has anyone else seen that?

I've seen it a few times and it's very annoying. I rarely used the Nav, so I doubt I was using it at the time. It just randomly rebooted. But I recall it was when I was in the parking lots, so I was very annoyed to not have my usual rear view.

I got 2.20.45 on Sunday, and then today, for the first time ever, the 17" display computer crashed and rebooted itself. I was driving, had the camera at the top and Nav at the bottom with a destination programmed. Just as I approached my destination, the Tesla T logo appeared in the middle of the screen, then the screen went blank, music stopped, and the computer rebooted, just like it does when you press and hold both scroll wheels (and no, I didn't do it). It has only happened once and there are no lasting effects that I can see. Has anyone else seen that?
There are posts about this, but I've never had it happen.

There are posts about this, but I've never had it happen.

I also had the 17" screen crash and re-boot a day after I got 2.20.45. It crashed when I had an automatic navigation traffic re-route message pop up that was based on my calendar schedule. It's actually a fantastic feature, by the way. I've never had it crash before.

It's possible in my case that Nav was trying to recalculate the route, since the location of my destination was a bit wrong (from Google Maps data) and I had just driven by what it thought was the destination, but maybe not close enough for it to think I had arrived.

Has anyone had an issue with doors popping open since the last software update? I've never had random door popping issues with my 2013 until this update and now I've had different doors pop open on multiple occasions.

I have not. I would personally wonder if maybe your door handle is failing and accidentally actuating. That has been reported a couple times in the past and would be unrelated to a firmware update.

Since receiving this latest update, my navigation always "reinitializes" in the same part of the I-10 near my house. It now shows incorrect navigation - telling me to get off the freeway and to get back on - when there is no traffic or other obstructions on the freeway. Shortly thereafter the navigation reinitializes and all routing disappears for about a minute until it resets itself.

Perhaps this is heralding some alternate routing options coming soon, or yet another sloppy release from Tesla.

Has anyone had an issue with doors popping open since the last software update? I've never had random door popping issues with my 2013 until this update and now I've had different doors pop open on multiple occasions.

Not having that problem, but still having an issue when I set the car to open only the driver door handle when I approach. With that setting enabled, my rear hatch becomes possessed by evil demons. When I press the handle to open it, it will open three inches and then close. Or it will open 18 inches and stop. Or it will not open. Or it will do whatever the hell it wants to do. Quite the adventure.

If I return to the setting where all handles present upon approach, the demons leave and the rear hatch works normally.

I have not. I would personally wonder if maybe your door handle is failing and accidentally actuating. That has been reported a couple times in the past and would be unrelated to a firmware update.

I would agree, except for that it's been multiple doors that have popped open since the update. It would seem somewhat odd (although not impossible) for multiple handles to fail suddenly like that. I know many early owners have had door handle issues, but I thought maybe I had dodged that bullet being that my car is over three years old and I haven't had those issues.

I did remember today that I have not done a reboot since the update. I'll try doing that and see if it helps anything.

Reactions: Cyclone
All of mine so far have been pushed when I was WiFi connected. I thought I read somewhere that updates were pushed over WiFi. However that may be different for LTE equipped connectivity.
Map updates are pushed over Wi-Fi. Firmware updates are 3G or LTE or Wi-Fi or loaded at service center if you happen to be there for another reason. Nothing different about LTE cars vs. 3G with regard to firmware updates.

Why would you think it's strange? Most upgrades come over the cellular network.

Since WiFi became an option, I have gotten all my updates via WiFi. When they turned on WiFi support, Tesla said WiFi connected cars would get priority over 3G (no LTE at the time) connected cars for updates. Since .22.66 seems to be pretty new, I was surprised that my MS (and subsequently my wife's MX) go their updates while we were traveling.

Since WiFi became an option, I have gotten all my updates via WiFi. When they turned on WiFi support, Tesla said WiFi connected cars would get priority over 3G (no LTE at the time) connected cars for updates. Since .22.66 seems to be pretty new, I was surprised that my MS (and subsequently my wife's MX) go their updates while we were traveling.
I'm connected to WiFi and all my upgrades have come through the Cellular as far as I know. I also have never received a Map upgrade (which kind of says that upgrades aren't coming through WiFi (although some have said they have received Map upgrades through Cellular--couldn't prove it by me though). Also, I think Tesla backed out of WiFi first as I received the last upgrade on the same day that people started posting about having received it. I recall they said that in the beginning, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's really happening.